Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
I have just received a new lip seal for my thetford cassette, should I lubricate it?
I have some silicone spray is this recommended?
Coops

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Silicone or Vaseline?

Joking aside I have always used vaseline for most things. I use it once a year on all door seals, bonnet seals etc as here in Spain the sun hardens rubber so quickly. When we lived in the UK I used it on door seals and never had frozen doors no matter how cold it was ( off topic ).

Vaseline rules.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
A lot of posts on here suggest olive oil although we have the Thetford Spray as it's useful for awning rails & other applications too.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Take your tube of KY jelly out of your bedside drawer and use that :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think from the answers here the only course of action is do what ever floats your boat :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I have just received a new lip seal for my thetford cassette, should I lubricate it?
I have some silicone spray is this recommended?
Coops

'Thetford strongly urges users never
to lubricate the lip seal with oil, grease,
or Vaseline. Either smear on olive oil or
buy a can of Thetford Maintenance
Spray for Toilet Seals'

C & P from tinternet.:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
DON'T USE VASELINE, or any other petroleum product! They will rot the new seal! A bit of olive or corn oil wiped around the seal is fine. :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Surely seals are naturally waterproof and don't go hard until they're dead? :Blush:

It helps the slide, mate. And, if you leave them closed and dry for a few weeks, they can stick shut.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just given my cassette a makeover. Dribbling from the blade opener knob when you tipped it up. Only needed a 50p seal but Thetford want to sell you a £10 assembly. Suitably goaded by the thought of saving money, I stripped the whole cassette, blade, opening mech, auto vent and float switch. Most internal items were encrusted in a brown, calcium type deposit ! Once this was removed, o rings and seals were given a light coat of Rocol Aqua Sil silicone grease (just happened to have a tin handy) then rebuilt the unit. Hey voila, no more leaks. Mind I do know better ways to spend an afternoon ::bigsmile:
By the way, regarding olive oil, if that seal is brand new and never ever been used before, do the decent thing and use Extra Virgin :roflmto:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Just given my cassette a makeover. Dribbling from the blade opener knob when you tipped it up. Only needed a 50p seal but Thetford want to sell you a £10 assembly. Suitably goaded by the thought of saving money, I stripped the whole cassette, blade, opening mech, auto vent and float switch. Most internal items were encrusted in a brown, calcium type deposit ! Once this was removed, o rings and seals were given a light coat of Rocol Aqua Sil silicone grease (just happened to have a tin handy) then rebuilt the unit. Hey voila, no more leaks. Mind I do know better ways to spend an afternoon ::bigsmile:
By the way, regarding olive oil, if that seal is brand new and never ever been used before, do the decent thing and use Extra Virgin :roflmto:

Which 50p seal was it that you replaced? I thought there was only one seal:Sad:
My cassette is leaking when I tip it up to carry it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Try the small seal on the spring loaded push button air release. That's the most common one to fail.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Joking aside I have always used vaseline for most things. off topic )[HI].Vaseline rules.[/[/HI]QUOTE]

Oh dear!

I nearly choked then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Me too
I think from the answers here the only course of action is do what ever floats your boat :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

?????
It helps the slide, mate. And, if you leave them closed and dry for a few weeks, they can stick shut.

It's called constipation!

I could not possibly post what went through my mind when i read the thread title!!! :whatthe:

I could!!
but I'd be Banned:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Flymal

Free Member
Dec 26, 2012
Tayside
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would ignore all the other answers and just PM Tootles.

I mean check out his trumpet location.::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would ignore all the other answers and just PM Tootles.

I mean check out his trumpet location.::bigsmile:

Once again, my trumpet has come in for abuse. I find that totally unfair. :cry::winky:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Which 50p seal was it that you replaced? I thought there was only one seal:Sad:
My cassette is leaking when I tip it up to carry it.

It's the seal in the knob which opens the blade. I changed the main poop chute lip seal last year ( about £11 ) as that had lost it's springyness.
edit, It's the one under the yellow knob, it's not an o ring but a small concertina ( for want of a better word ) type seal that had gone stiff with a coating of the aforementioned brown limescale. You have to reach inside to unclip it, there is a good tutorial on the net that I followed. The air vent next to it just twists out a quater turn and that is fitted with a standard o ring but does have the concertina type seal below it connected to a small spring and float that needed descaling too.

Attachments

• 20140531_101932[1].jpg
    20140531_101932[1].jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
It's the seal in the knob which opens the blade. I changed the main poop chute lip seal last year ( about £11 ) as that had lost it's springyness.
edit, It's the one under the yellow knob, it's not an o ring but a small concertina ( for want of a better word ) type seal that had gone stiff with a coating of the aforementioned brown limescale. You have to reach inside to unclip it, there is a good tutorial on the net that I followed. The air vent next to it just twists out a quater turn and that is fitted with a standard o ring but does have the concertina type seal below it connected to a small spring and float that needed descaling too.

Very amusing thread!
My toilet is leaking too, could you or someone provide any links to help me take it apart? The float has stopped working too :cry:
Thanks

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Try this thread for some info and check out the link I posted on the second page.
Broken Link Removed

Graeme

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back