Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi chaps
Just done a 24hr period in -3 filled up with lpg
Gaslow system. Never turned heating off 14deg overnight 22deg up till 10pm fridge on gas . It’s used 6.2 litres no cooking we have alde heating
More than I thought it would use 🤷‍♂️

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There are 7.08kWh of energy in 1 litre of propane. 6.2 x 7.08 = 43.896kWh total. Divide by 24 hours = 1.89kWh. This equates very approximately to leaving a 2kW electric heater on permanently which is about what I would expect to need to keep an A class warm on a cold winters day, perhaps a bit less if the sun was out all day. The good news is that it probably only cost you about £6 in gas but would probably have cost about £15 of metered electricity.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Due to the domestic costs of Electric now its cheaper for us to use LPG to keep van above freezing whilst its on drive. It saves all the hassle of draining /filling systems/airlocks etc. Its working out at 1 ltr a day at 95 p a litre. we use Safefil, much cheaper than ripoff Calor gas, which would probably work out at domestic prices. We just set temp to 8 deg and if freezing I leave water heater on eco setting. On electric using a 500 watt radiator ( only just manages to keep M/H above freezing) and water on eco its £3/4 pounds a day. Bearing in mind once outside temps go up to 5 (nightime) and above we leave it off.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Due to the domestic costs of Electric now its cheaper for us to use LPG to keep van above freezing whilst its on drive. It saves all the hassle of draining /filling systems/airlocks etc. Its working out at 1 ltr a day at 95 p a litre. we use Safefil, much cheaper than ripoff Calor gas, which would probably work out at domestic prices. We just set temp to 8 deg and if freezing I leave water heater on eco setting. On electric using a 500 watt radiator ( only just manages to keep M/H above freezing) and water on eco its £3/4 pounds a day. Bearing in mind once outside temps go up to 5 (nightime) and above we leave it off.
Get a tube heater like they use in
greenhouses. I put one in our van during winter ( when we are not away) connected via a temperature operated switch set at 5 to 8 deg. They sell 2ft to 8 ft long. 40watt per foot. Ours is 4ft.
Keeps van safely unfrozen
Mitch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Do you get much condensation?

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
Hi chaps
Just done a 24hr period in -3 filled up with lpg
Gaslow system. Never turned heating off 14deg overnight 22deg up till 10pm fridge on gas . It’s used 6.2 litres no cooking we have alde heating
More than I thought it would use 🤷‍♂️
I would suggest, turn your heating down to about 18 and put a jumper on. Or spend more time in bed, we all like that one :) Also, how well insulated is your van? Some folk with Van conversions put a curtain across the cab / living area as the cab has little or no insulation. The Curtain will help stop condensation forming on your front windows also.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never heat the van on the drive. Doesn’t really take that long to drain down and refil.
Same here also never run heating at night when in the van.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I would suggest, turn your heating down to about 18 and put a jumper on. Or spend more time in bed, we all like that one :) Also, how well insulated is your van? Some folk with Van conversions put a curtain across the cab / living area as the cab has little or no insulation. The Curtain will help stop condensation forming on your front windows also.
We have an external silver screen, never any issues with condensation and brilliant on a stifling hot day to keep the van cooler (y)

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
We've had our heating on 19 overnight for the last 5 weeks plus cooking meals (fridge is on lecky) and we've only just done 1 x 11kg bottle .
Night time temps are down to about 7 or 8° here .

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Polar tech screen cover, Dunelm blackout curtain with big steel hanging loops,hung on an extendable pole across the back of the cab and a big fleece rug on top of our duvet,
Two if necessary, and we are snug as bugs.
If I HAVE to, I cuddle Jenny !!!😉
Mitch

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Once the MH is up to temperature, the amount of energy (kWh) needed to keep it at that temperature depends only on the quality of the insulation. And obviously how cold it is outside. So to reduce costs, add insulation. External screens on the cab screen/windows are really good, reflective bubblewrap covers in the roof lights etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back