Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder if any funster has worked out any of the following:

A) Return on investment?
B) Availibility in the UK and Overseas.

Considering converting our 2 x 6kg to lpg.

Thoughts would be appreciated

ShiftZZ

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Have you got blue bottles then shiftzzyou didn`t say but if you consider gaslows it would cost you about 350 ish to convert but then every time you fill up at the service station yoiu save around £12.00 a bottle so it depends how much you use your mh
and if you go out in cold weather and use the heater then you would obviously use more gas so a gaslow might be better.:thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers Rob W BTW I am currently paying £18 for a 6kg refill

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have convinced myself that they are blue.

I have been offered two conversions quotes, £679 and £600.

We tend to use the van mainly in the summer.

Availability in France?

ShiftZZ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
shiftzz . better have a word with wildman he can tell you the best way to go. dont forget you wont be changing to lpg ,you are using it already. liquid petroleom gas =butane propane ,pentane,etc . i think you mean autogas. i have recuped my outlay several times over . i think you know the way forward , cheers alan.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oh dear, here we go again. blue or red, well the red "propane" bottles are LPG, just change the tails on your regulator. Then use a propane refill adapter to refill them. Safer and cheaper than the other conversions which rely on a fallible valve to make sure you don't exceed an 80% fill. adapter is paid for in three refills. a no brainer really. There are at least three gaslow bottles suffering from failed valves a year at some repairers. Thats 3 too any to be safe. you know it makes sense, however if you have plenty of dosh to throw around send Jim some for the site, hee hee
total cost under £100 by the way

Disclaimer neither I or the site are responsible for my opinions. In my case I know I'm stupid and Jim, well he is too polite to say owt, hee hee

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have been offered two conversions quotes, £679 and £600.
ShiftZZ

Why did you specify solid gold cylinders ?

Look here:
Link Removed

Most on that one page: Looks more like £400 than £600 for parts and an easy DIY job. Plenty in here DIYed it.

Maybem just maybe £600 if someone had to come out to you. For someone well equipped it's under 2 hours to fit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a no brainer really.

Not quite baldy.

How about convenience ?

How about turn up, clip on to proper filling point, fill, go. Proper job.

Or hide furtively behind the pump hoping ms le flic does not spot you and fill one tank then change adaptor on to second tank even more nervous by now.

No problem of availability in France either method. Just carry the froggy adaptor.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
save over 600 pound get a filler adapter .if you can change a bottle you can fit the adapter. autogas ,lpg ,gpl what ever is available just about everywhere in europe. even spain is getting their act together. new tanks being fitted at garages all over the place. dont forget new spanish adapter. there seems to be two sizes of thread to fit your adaptor. both now available to borrow at malaga. i guess all the spanish stations will have them soon.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , if you spend all your time in the uk you will save some money
in france you will break even , more or less
in spain you will pay more if you can get in a standard euro sized bottle , if you can only get in baby bottles you will save a little

eg , could you fit in 300mm diameter by 500mm high bottles

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Not quite baldy.

How about convenience ?

How about turn up, clip on to proper filling point, fill, go. Proper job.

Or hide furtively behind the pump hoping ms le flic does not spot you and fill one tank then change adaptor on to second tank even more nervous by now.

No problem of availability in France either method. Just carry the froggy adaptor.
Baldy? that was last week, you are out of date, mine grows back, hee hee, unlike some.
I just drive in and fill at my home station, why fill two bottles, refill one as soon as it runs out. adapters fit the refill adapter as well all of them do.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Mr Shiftzz,
Don't look at it in monetary terms, look at it in how easy and how you will no longer throw away half full bottles because your unsure how much you will need on your next trip.

I have 1 gaslow bottle the big one and one ordinary bottle. I use the the gaslow and then in case of an emergency (rare) i have an ordinary bottle. If on th ecouple of occasions I have had to use the ordinary bottle, I have done and then just let it run completely out.

£600 is well over the top for a quote, 1 bottle would be less than £200 , fit it ya self and away you go.

I personally would never use Roger's system because I am way to thick although others do of course.

Ps welcome back vwalan, where have you been? seems months since you were on?:whatthe:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
why fill two bottles, refill one as soon as it runs out.

Well if I'm trying to make a point no point in doing half a job :Smile:

Actually I have to ask why 6kg. Is he the unfortunate owner of a van with small parts ? If he could fit a single 13kg tank then he's saved £130. That's what I have a 13kg Gaslow and next to a small calor as backup and BBQ supply.

I wish there was an adaptor for the small green calor tank - rip off price and it's got a built in fuel gauge. Come to think of it I do have an adaptor to enable me to screw in the standard regulator that's screwed into the Gaslow, I wonder if it's bi-directional.

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
I could only fit 6kgs exchangable cylinders in my old van but could take 11kg galsows as they don't have a collar. once you have them you have them for life as they can be transferred from one van to the next. I apid nowhere near what you are bein quoted.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
brian ,there is adaptors to fill all the bottles and you can.

have a good look on the webb .

try rpi engineering ,bes. etc .
there are lots of places to get adaptors from.

hi hagnap i have been in spain n portugal for 5 months . no telly or internet. met a few funsters missed some by days or hours. back home for summer have a rest.

cheers alan.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Got 1 x big gaslow bottle and a smaller standard backup (never needed). Proper filler fitted on side of van so just pull in and fill up every couple of weeks and laugh at how little it costs.

Have no idea when or if it will pay for itself but that isnt why I fitted it. Long periods abroad means you just fill up every now and again and forget about it.

Got the whole thing installed including French / Italian adaptors for £250.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
what about spain?
at least one member hear reported that the only time he uses his gaslow 's is when he is changing his spanish bottle ...half an hour

manu54

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
18 years
Anyone tell me where i can get one of these adapters to fill my bottles, please !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Anyone tell me where i can get one of these adapters to fill my bottles, please !

Google gas filling adapters and it will come up with your answer. I got mine through ebay at about £35. It is beautifully made and has a one way valve fitted in it.

Despite the impression given by some Funsters, filling your own cylinders is not always straight forward. I have come across filling points where they do not let you fill your own Calor (or similar) cylinders. When this happens to me I am relieved that I also have a gaslow system... I could not be without gas.... !!!

JJ

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the answer is use a bulkhead exterior filling point with pipe work to your bottle .to all it would then look just like any lpg filling. have used it all but the ebay fillers are convieniant,cheap and usefull sometimes we need bottled gas not in the van so a tank is not so use full. i have never been told not to fill a bottle,but then i have never asked if i can. made my own filler about 25yrs ago using an lpg car filler and pipework to a normal bottle . that was when uk used the acme thread at filling pumps in garages . still have a beam california convertion and a landi harthog dutch convertion here. the tank was supplied by calor in 1975 and is a 64litre tested to 23 bar. like a new one.ha ha. cheers alan.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
the answer is use a bulkhead exterior filling point with pipe work to your bottle .to all it would then look just like any lpg filling. have used it all but the ebay fillers are convieniant,cheap and usefull sometimes we need bottled gas not in the van so a tank is not so use full. i have never been told not to fill a bottle,but then i have never asked if i can. made my own filler about 25yrs ago using an lpg car filler and pipework to a normal bottle . that was when uk used the acme thread at filling pumps in garages . still have a beam california convertion and a landi harthog dutch convertion here. the tank was supplied by calor in 1975 and is a 64litre tested to 23 bar. like a new one.ha ha. cheers alan.

Great idea to have the external filling point. This would overcome all the downsides of self refilling other than having an empty bottle so you get the quantity right with out over filling.

JJ

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
gaslow ,autogas ,bes,and many others can sell all the bits to tee in the fillers .stop taps etc are also needed. a bit of thought and irs all possible. i now use an ebay filler as its so compact. at the moment a 20mm clipon is about the only bottle i havnt got filling adaptors for.got asked twice in portugal .one was french bottle other from the canaries. i have a supergas regulator here thats 20mm but never had a bottle to use it on.found a repsol adaptor a few years ago for use when filling spanish bottles at the pump. google bes . they are great for bits and pieces. cheers alan.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have pondered the thought of these underslung tanks for cars - can't see why it could not be used intead of refillable bottles. Last for ages!!::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can use the same tanks as cars. but cars use liquid we burn gas. swap the inlet for the outlet on the car tanks or you could be in trouble. look on the auto gas site for tanks . they arent very expensive make some of the refillable bottles seem like diamonds. cheers alan.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have pondered the thought of these underslung tanks for cars - can't see why it could not be used intead of refillable bottles. Last for ages!!::bigsmile:
I think shiftz was originaly talking about an underslung tank,for the price he was quoted I would imagine thats what it was for.
I have under slung tanks on the RV and my VW coachbuilt,would never have anything else personaly.You gain a locker and they hold much more than any bottle.
No problem where you are,just fill up.:thumb:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I raised the question of fitting Gaslow to the M/home and was advised that Truma recommended that their regulator not be used. The reason being that autogas lpg is a lot dirtier than bottled gas.

The dirt will gum up the regulator, and the Gaslow regulator is manufactured to allowed to pass the dirt (solids / Liquid ??).

That said the dirt, will then pass through the system and end up at the jets which will need more maintance. Truma reckon every six months with ""average"" use.

Having to have the Truma Heater pulled apart to check the burners every six months is not my idea of fun.

Older appliances are not as efficient as new ones, so do not suffer as much.

Much the same with fridges I understand.

Just a passing thought !

Rgds

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
can only say i notice no difference with the cooker or water heater but the gas lights do pop abit on autogas .more so on uk autogas . actually they work best on butane. thats the only thing i notice. cheers alan.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The other day I went to fill up the Gaslow with LPG and the woman came out to inspect what I was filling before she would turn it on. When she saw the hose attached to a filler on the side of the van she said Ah, Ok and switched it on. I suspect if I was filling a bottle she may not have done. They seem to be clamping down on LPG safety. You cant get it from an umanned station either. You can get petrol or Diesel but not LPG unless someone is in attendance.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
tony , I don't know who told you that lpg from the pump is dirtier than propane from a bottle , but calor gas say they use exactly the same gas for both ..they load the truck from the same tank as the bottles
in fact , what they [ and everyone else use ] is industrial grade propane , which is mainly propane with some pollutants

in france I notice vendors have started to label bottles as industrial propane , and industrial butane , which is a more precise description of the contents

and in 25 years of using both bottled and pumped I have never found a difference despite the fact that the quality must vary by delivery

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can agree ,when calor come to fill my tank in the garden ,they then go on to visit an lpg station down the rd.just like been said bottles, trucks all filled from same tanks at depot.
anyone for an 1100 litre tank on their camper .

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
i can agree ,when calor come to fill my tank in the garden ,they then go on to visit an lpg station down the rd.just like been said bottles, trucks all filled from same tanks at depot.
anyone for an 1100 litre tank on their camper .

And before someone asks it's the tax & VAT that makes the difference in the price. If you use it for domestic ask the driver to fill your MH as well on the same bill it will cost you less.

And no I have never done it .....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back