Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
I want to change the Calor Bottles to LPG

Wheres the best place to Purchase them,I have had a quote from Autogas 2000 its in the region of £600
with all the extras,
I will be fitting it myself
Thanks in anticipation
Allen

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I assume that is the price for Alugas bottles they are about £150 dearer than steel bottles, they can supply Gaslow steel bottle and there are other suppliers like Gas-it who's steel bottles are cheaper.

OP
OP
A
Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
I've Just checked Gasit web site and yes they are considerably cheaper,

Thanks All

Reactions: JFD

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think autogas2000 supply gasit bottles. Worth speaking to them.

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
I have a underslung system supplied by Autogas 2000 and fitted by Dave Newell works brilliantly especially with the cut off valve and of course gives me extra room in the locker

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
2 x 11kg gasit bottles fitted with white external filler at gasit Bristol a few weeks ago £400 all in!

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
None on mine, a photo would help.
alugas_mv_03.jpg

I realise now its the Multivalve cylinder, which is new to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Having struggled with replacement cylinders, we went the Gasit way last year, single bottle with a small propane bottle as backup. This year we binned the propane bottle for a second Gasit one. Self installed, which was easy. Only heart-in-mouth action is drilling for the external filler! No issues so far, apart from a finding a seemingly autogas-free area in Austria this summer!! Finally found an industrial estate with a self serve dispenser just in time!!

Only real question is, why didn't we do it years ago???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Easy to fit yourself and Gas-it cylinders are generally cheaper but shop around as you can mix and match the other bits such as the pipes, filler etc to get the exact combination you want, as well as the fill point adaptors. We used to have the large round Gaslow filler on a bracket in the gas locker but I changed it this year for a much smaller external square one which I put in the corner of our camper's rear bumper, the adaptors simply screw into it as required and being smaller it's a much simpler filler to install.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
The Alugas are considerably lighter and the ‘tops’ come off making them smaller and more likely to be able to fit a larger capacity (not sure if this is the case with other systems)

Reactions: f6c
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
being smaller it's a much simpler filler to install.
Agreed. Also less stressful than making a hole in the side you can wave through. I felt the smaller filler would be more secure too, having four drilled bolts rather than a notch and clamp to keep it in place.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Another vote for Gas-It. The service on the phone was excellent and all the gear to fit a 11Kg cylinder and filler point arrived on time. Fitting could be carried out by anyone with reasonable DIY skills and the overall cost was way cheaper than Gas-Low. Other than the colour the cylinders are identical as far as I can see and we have found re-fillable to be much easier (and cheaper) to live with than calor cylinders.

The Tincas

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Agreed. Also less stressful than making a hole in the side you can wave through. I felt the smaller filler would be more secure too, having four drilled bolts rather than a notch and clamp to keep it in place.
While we’ve not had the problem others have reported that you can be refused to re fill bottles at certain locations, so from this point of view an external filler cap gives the appearance of the vehicle being LPG powered

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
View attachment 195057

I realise now its the Multivalve cylinder, which is new to me.
So it just replaces the handwheel, our cylinders are 2014 transferred them from the last van.
While we’ve not had the problem others have reported that you can be refused to re fill bottles at certain locations, so from this point of view an external filler cap gives the appearance of the vehicle being LPG powered
We had a woman run out to us in Portugal shouting "we don't fill" bottles" I pointed at the filler and said "it's a tank" she said "OK".
Always used the small filler and always fitted in the sill, no way would I want a filler in the bodywork, especially with the weight of those filler hoses.

PEM

Jun 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Fitted the 18Kg gas it 4 hole bottle earlier this year was a doddle to install and have not had any problems so far touch wood, would recommend gas it

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Attended a gas course at the Gas-it premises earlier in the year the course was taken by the director Nick a very knowledgable fella , they have an impressive setup there, they carry a lot of stock and develop and design a lot of the products they sell including the gas bottles and tanks , very professional company a pleasure to do business with.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What`s the "cost/Benefit" of a Retrofit?. All my R-V`s arrived so fitted anyway. I can see it in Europe, where convenience would be the big advantage, and LPG is generally cheaper (well it was in Spain). But in the UK I would suspect that you would have to be (almost) a full timer to use enough gas to (re)cover the Outlay?.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What`s the "cost/Benefit" of a Retrofit?. All my R-V`s arrived so fitted anyway. I can see it in Europe, where convenience would be the big advantage, and LPG is generally cheaper (well it was in Spain). But in the UK I would suspect that you would have to be (almost) a full timer to use enough gas to (re)cover the Outlay?.
I am not a full-timer and have been using refillables for about 3 years now and I reckon I have saved most of what they cost. But it is the convenience wherever you are that really is the selling point. No undoing gas fittings and manhandling heavy bottles to the local Calor dealer and back. Just fill it like you do with diesel. After all we don't hump cans of that about do we, so wjy should we with LPG.

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
I am not a full-timer and have been using refillables for about 3 years now and I reckon I have saved most of what they cost. But it is the convenience wherever you are that really is the selling point. No undoing gas fittings and manhandling heavy bottles to the local Calor dealer and back. Just fill it like you do with diesel. After all we don't hump cans of that about do we, so wjy should we with LPG.[/QU
Also in smaller vans an under vehicle tank will free up vital locker space for more storage.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Albeit that it was expensive, it's the convenience factor. Had ours fitted about 6 years ago. Instead of buying 2 Calor/BP cylinders at around £50.00 for 2/3 weeks (and lose some because not totally used), I now don't have to disconnect, go to the local suppliers, wait in the queue, the fuel used to go to the supplier and back and the time involved.
When in France/Italy/Switzerland for 6 weeks, we'd have had to buy alternative cylinders, so I definitely reckon my system is paid for plus I still have the convenience of my Gaslow system (other makes are available)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back