LPG V Propane (NOT COSTS THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,

I have been watching with interest the threads about Gas and the alternatives to Calor etc. ,,,,, 'Oh, No says SWMBO, another project'.

The parts I am interested in is the differences in the gas and install itself.

a) Is (garage) LPG the same as propane as far as 'the burn' is concerned?
b) Do the appliances/gauges have to be modified - jets, pressures etc?
c) Is the mod an insurance 'notafiable alteration'?
d) Does the LPG system need certification - like a car (ten years ish)?
e) Is the low temperature use an issue - like Butane v Propane?

Enough questions for now - I am considering it, but our gas use won't justify the outlay - just yet - but it may do in the future.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi All,

I have been watching with interest the threads about Gas and the alternatives to Calor etc. ,,,,, 'Oh, No says SWMBO, another project'.

The parts I am interested in is the differences in the gas and install itself.

YES ITS IDENTICAL
NO
NO
ONLY THE CYLINDER
IT IS PROPANE BASICALLY

Enough questions for now - I am considering it, but our gas use won't justify the outlay - just yet - but it may do in the future.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:
Just a basic point though....autogas at petrol stations is a mix of propane and butane but basically the same. butane content is reduced in colder climates to aid gassing below freezing

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a....same stuff

B...no, runs on same pressure regulator

C....bottles, no....underslung tank, advisable

D.....recommended every 10 years but no legal requirement

E.....forecourt LPG is propane so no low temp problems......unless you plan on a siberia trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Hi, any more advice on this please? Cost of £800 to convert to underslung tank , cheaper to re-fill, frees up a locker on my sub 6m van and I do want to use more as a wild camping van so gas use would be high relatively. Any advice or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, Rick.

Deleted User
a....same stuff

B...no, runs on same pressure regulator

C....bottles, no....underslung tank, advisable

D.....recommended every 10 years but no legal requirement

E.....forecourt LPG is propane so no low temp problems......unless you plan on a siberia trip.

Last item applies in the UK but not everywhere. Varying mixtures in more Southern climes, there was a thread on here over the Winter with someone having problems after returning with 'foreign' LPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

a) Autogas in the UK it is 100% propane .. abroad it will have some Butane in the mix.. up to 20% . No problems with the 'burn'
b) No
c) No
d) Gaslow advise returning bottles for testing after 10 years. Not a legal requirement but advisable.
e) Propane can be used down to -40c .. Butane is only good down to about 6c

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, any more advice on this please? Cost of £800 to convert to underslung tank , cheaper to re-fill, frees up a locker on my sub 6m van and I do want to use more as a wild camping van so gas use would be high relatively. Any advice or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, Rick.
Hi Rick.. when I posted I didn't notice this was an old thread and didn't read your question

I think you answered your own question.. tank is more expensive but frees up a locker.. and your space is at a premium ..

refillable bottle is about £500 cheaper and is an easy DIY instal..

Last edited:

Deleted User
Hi Rick.. when I posted I didn't notice this was an old thread and didn't read your question

I think you answered your own question.. tank is more expensive but frees up a locker.. and you space is at a premium ..

refillable bottle is about £500 cheaper and is an easy DIY instal..

Neither did I......old thread, caught again:)

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
@Richard-and-Janet-Mason. I was looking at originally going for the Autogas 55 ltr under slung tank for our Rapido A class. I thought it may fit between the under floor storage to the nearside of the under van which is centrally located. Malcolm at Turriff caravans (Autogas installer) had a look when I was getting the VB air assist fitted and thought it would be a tight fit and enquired about if there was a kit available to fit the tank from Autogas. On my model of van the tank needs to be fitted towards the rear of the van and at 49 kgs full this would take away load from the rear garage due to the rear axle weight limit. In the end I went with 2 Gaslow 11kg cylinders which fit in the gas locker and the weight over the front axle remains unchanged. The reason behind going down the refillable route was that we averaged 2 x 6kg Calor bottles every 3-4 days, as we only got the van last November we toured over the winter in Scotland meaning the heating was on 24-7 (Mrs Lorryman is a southern softie from Ulster) along with the fridge on gas. In Scotland we tend to wild camp more than down south, visiting a site every three days or so to empty and refill with fresh water, empty the toilet etc. As we were down South recently we visited a couple of Funsters businesses for tyres (Brian & Jo) and as we were in Somerset took the opportunity to visit vanbitz and get Gaslow fitted by the professionals. So far as the outside temps are fine we have hardly used any gas other than for the fridge, not even filled them up yet after they were filled by Ash at vanbitz. With the Funster discount it worked out for us a couple of hundred pounds cheaper to have the Gaslow fitted instead of the tank as well as the ease to remove them when we upgrade to our next van. HTH

Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Thanks for that - funster discount? Is there as gasflow dealer in Derby area do you know?

I am moving more to re-fillable bottles and not taking as much rubbish with me;-)

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Why would you need the auto changeover? I may be assuming wrongly that you already have one fitted in your Rapido like the one I have?

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I don't have the invoice handy but I think I was about £600 for the above installation with SS hoses including filling of the cylinders at Vanbitz.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't have the invoice handy but I think I was about £600 for the above installation with SS hoses including filling of the cylinders at Vanbitz.

I'm surprised that Vanbitz fitted the filler in the door..
that is not good practice and specifically mentioned in the Gaslow fitting instructions..

DO NOT fit the filling point in a door as movement and closure of the door can compress or fracture the hose.
Link Removed

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi,
I had an under slung tank (55 litres) fitted at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk last year. It cost £800 but as you say it freed up a large locker. You have no idea how much wine and beer can be put in there. I usually take beer with me when going abroad as them lot over the channel don't have any, only lager type stuff. You can stay overnight at Autogas they even have hookup. Having the under slung tank fitted is probably the best thing I have had done to the motorhome. Filling is easy wherever you go. Just make sure you buy the adapters.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could also fabricate a rack for carrying wine and beer underneath the motor home and buy an adaptor to fill bottles . possibly be 700 quid in front . but never mind .
in spain its cheaper to have a spanish bottle and exchange .
in morocco better to have a local bottle then either cvarry it or give it to a local .as you leave thet are that cheap.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could also fabricate a rack for carrying wine and beer underneath the motor home and buy an adaptor to fill bottles . possibly be 700 quid in front . but never mind .
in spain its cheaper to have a spanish bottle and exchange .
in morocco better to have a local bottle then either carry it or give it to a local .as you leave they are that cheap.

Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
22l I think. Cost £9.47 to fill up so will have paid for the £800 install in about 200 years:) Having said that I now have a spare locker and can tip up my tank so I am a happy camper"!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back