LPG tank (1 Viewer)

S

Snelly

Deleted User
My LPG tank on my GBM shows half on the guage when it runs out... thats a faulty guage I hear you say! BUT, when I go to fill up, im lucky to get 25 litres in it... surely the tanks bigger than that.

Could there be ?water ?crap in the bottom of the tank??

OP
OP
S

Snelly

Deleted User
Yep im opening the bleed valve a few times. Its open enough to spit liquid out when its full, so I presume it is full. Its just weird that I can't get much in from empty and the guage reads half at empty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I don't have a guage on my tank (well. if I have I can't see it as the tank is midships, not in a locker)

I have to go by the readout on the interior display. It never seems to take much to fill it.

What's the correct procedure for filling the LPG tank (domestic) with regard to the bleed valve?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi snelly because the domestic LPG is a vapour supply it is possible for crap to sit in the bottom of the tank, have a look under it and see if theirs a plug you can unscrew next time its empty to drain it.

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi snelly because the domestic LPG is a vapour supply it is possible for crap to sit in the bottom of the tank, have a look under it and see if theirs a plug you can unscrew next time its empty to drain it.

Olley

Hi Snelly, I suggested this when we met up at your 'bash' ... I suspect it has an accumulation of 'heavy ends' that won't vaporise off..
When you fill the tank you will not only get the liquefied propane / butane but also some heavy ends.
The heavy ends are oil based fluids. These heavy ends are normally harmless and will grease your vaporiser but can build up in the tank.
More on 'heavy ends' here.
Link Removed

OP
OP
S

Snelly

Deleted User
Hi Snelly, I suggested this when we met up at your 'bash' ... I suspect it has an accumulation of 'heavy ends' that won't vaporise off..
When you fill the tank you will not only get the liquefied propane / butane but also some heavy ends.
The heavy ends are oil based fluids. These heavy ends are normally harmless and will grease your vaporiser but can build up in the tank.
More on 'heavy ends' here.
Link Removed

Thanks Jim, I knew someone had told me something about that.... just couldn't remember who! sorry, memories rubbish.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hit the gauge with a hammer Shane:winky:

this is worst that happen
8.gif

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Buy a magnetic lpg gauge strip that fits on a Calor type cylinders, move it up and down the RV tank. After filling it will show where the full level is (tanks fill to 80%), when you think its near empty or the tank gauge shows empty, move it down to find any lower level.

Magnetic gauges for sale on ebay
Nozzel

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Nozzel

I am intrigued by the idea of a magnetic LPG guage - how does it work, any idea?

Does the LPG temperature mark the guage or what?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
That's actually a very good idea Nozzel.

I'm going to try that on my Domestic LPG Tank.:thumb:

I've seen them before.I guess they just show the difference in temperature of the tank.

EBAY Link >>>HERE<<<

Last edited:

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Hi, The magnetic lpg gauge is the same as kids/advert fridge door magnets only it contains temperature sensitive material which changes colour depending on the temperature of the item it's in contact with. As the strip is put vertical on the tank it will show the change in temp between the liquid lpg and the gas. To get that change from liquid to gas you will need to light a burner on the cooker (make a cup of tea). I'm told Calor sell these gauges. All USA made lpg tanks (by US law) must have a information plate showing maker, date made and tested also the volume it holds.

nozzel

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
Ive fitted a couple of LPG systems to cars. ONE of the causes of your problem, is simply that the tank is not in the right position in its holder. this means that the guage, which is a basic float type thing, will read wrong. Either when its full, or when its empty, slacken the clamps holding the tank to its holder, and rotate it a bit to get either a full or empty reading. then see how it goes. Installation manuals state a position, ie 30%, but then advise checking...but not all installers are .......perfectionist's.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you may just have a 30 litre tank???
how big is it, i have a 90 litre tank on my motorhome, and it's about 3 foot long and 14 inches diamiter (and it hasnt been filled for 3 years since i fitted an electric fridge and diesel central heating... must fit a smaller tank one day)

the gauges on lpg tanks are notoriousely problematic, inside is a float that pivots up and down, and as it does this a sprocket meshes with another a9 a 90 degree angle, turining the up and down movement of the float into a circular movement, to which a disc magnet is connected,

outside the tank a magnetic coupled gauge head is fotted... theres no direct connecteion between the spindle and the gauge, so it can't leak,

but the plastic of the gears can swell and contract, heavy ends get caught on the pivots, and generaly after about 2 years the gauge will stick at a few points,

mine sticks at about the 60% mark, a clout of the tank with a rubber mallet frees it off... till it sticks on the next sticky point.

the bits for the internal read out are just a set of tiny reed switches and resistors and the needle has a magnet on it's underside, 2 wires go from the gauge head to the internal gauge/led display, so as the needle moves, a reed switch is opened giving the remote gauge a resistance referance,
that part is very stable and hardly ever messes up, but the whole thing relies on those 2 plastic sprockets inside the tank, that get immersed in liquid propane when over half full, out of it when below half, subjected to vibrations etc,

there is another way to measure the contents of any tank, ultrasonics, they bounce a radio wave off the liquid, and read the time it takes to get back to the reciever part, that time relates to the level, but they are expensive,

so for motorhomes it's usually better to get to know how long you can last on a fill, and if possible keep a reserve tank with you.... a small bottle with a regulator and a bbq point connector, when the main tank runs out, turn the valve off, connect the bottle to the bbq point, turn on the shut off tap for the bbq point, and turn on the bottle, that should get you through the night, and you can go and fill the tank up next day.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
so for motorhomes it's usually better to get to know how long you can last on a fill, and if possible keep a reserve tank with you.... a small bottle with a regulator and a bbq point connector, when the main tank runs out, turn the valve off, connect the bottle to the bbq point, turn on the shut off tap for the bbq point, and turn on the bottle, that should get you through the night, and you can go and fill the tank up next day.

Assuming you have a fixed tank, isn't the best way to avoid running out just to refill it whenever you get a chance.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
upto you, i dont fancy stopping at every single lpg pump i pass whilst driving to put in 50p's woth of gas just to keep it topped up.

when i had gas heating and the gas fridge, i knew we could last around 3 months on a fill, so if the gauge was still on half at 2 and a half months, i knew it had stuck,

when we had the 30 litre tank, that'd last us exactly 13 days in winter, so when we were staying on a site in paris for 2 weeks, it was annoying when we ran out on the last night, after that i got a 4.5 kilo propane bottle, regulator and bbq connector,

as it always is tho, we never needed to use it, so when we got the larger tank i gave the 'emergancy' gas supply away to someone who could make use of it,

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys snelly who started this post of in 07, sold his RV sometime ago.

Olley

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have decided to fit another domestic LPG Tank as well and am looking to fit at least 60 litres....probably 72...

Fitting it with fuel level gauge and one mounted in the living area so I can keep an eye on how much is left.

Similar on my 2x100 litre ones for the motor.:thumb:

Gonna get it all professionally checked and certified as soon as it's finished.:thumb:

You cannot be too careful with gas.

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
I have decided to fit another domestic LPG Tank as well and am looking to fit at least 60 litres....probably 72...

Fitting it with fuel level gauge and one mounted in the living area so I can keep an eye on how much is left.

Similar on my 2x100 litre ones for the motor.:thumb:

Gonna get it all professionally checked and certified as soon as it's finished.:thumb:

You cannot be too careful with gas.

Where is the best place to source tanks, remote filler etc, this going to be my next project, converting from bottles to autogas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back