Jul 5, 2017
Preston
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Hi R.V.ers
Can anyone advise us newbies on how to go about filling our LPG tank? Can we just go to any filling station? What do we turn on/off? How does the filler pump attach?
Any info gratefully received. Also do we need some kind of safety certificate for it and if so, where would we acquire it?
Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi @Dancer you can refill at a suitably equipped and sized petrol station with lpg pump. then you need an adaptor to fit your rv tank, attach hose from pump and lock on then press and hold the red button on the pump and hold in to dispense lpg

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
There are a number of vidoes on Youtube such as this one, which will give you a good idea as to what's involved:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Here is link to using an adapter, we've not filled up yet at all, so are looking at this with a little trepidation. Bets 'bottled it ' (unitended pun.. honest) in Luxembourg because it said on the pump no bottle refills!

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Defiantly worth watching several videos as theres a bit of a knack depending where your filler point is on the van. The locker mines in is small and the nozzles with big protection collars are difficult to connect up. See if theres a funster nearby that could come and advise. some parts of the country have very few log stations and some you may find it impossible to get to depending on the size of your van. Hers a link to a site I use for searching out stations www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/

Im sure you could find someone to do a safety check but theres no need as far as I'm aware.

If you've an RV have you had a look at our sister site which could be of additional information regarding everything RV.
www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/

Enjoy

Shawn

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi there Dancer

Just drive down to Preston Gas Centre in Penwortham.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/'...7a5745b29405f55!2m2!1d-2.7057525!2d53.7420482

They are really helpful and will actually do it for you. The best way to learn.

I always use them.
That sounds a really good idea I had a polish bloke who filled his car before me help me the first time. I wear welders gauntlets to fill mine for safety just keep them in the gas locker might be a good idea. Filled in France for the first time this year their design of filler looks a lot better than ours I find the bayonet thing tends to get stuck.

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2017
Preston
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Thanks everyone for your help. We have our Damon Daybreak booked into Lancs County Highways for our MOT near end of M65 at Preston at £57. Now searching for somewhere to have service on ford/workhorse and habitation service. :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm pretty sure I have found lpg pumps with red, green and black start buttons ... be aware the pump will probably display the previous customer's purchase until you press this button when it will reset to zero before the gas flows.

The above video shows a woman filling with bare hands ... the nozzle gets extremely cold during filling and there is a small amount of gas released as the nozzle is removed both of which can cause freeze burns to exposed skin .. I would certainly recommend the use of good leather gloves.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Thanks everyone for your help. We have our Damon Daybreak booked into Lancs County Highways for our MOT near end of M65 at Preston at £57. Now searching for somewhere to have service on ford/workhorse and habitation service. :)
millers at longton, or standish service station. both are good and i have mine moted at standish.
i use preston gas, cheapest near me, but also used morrison at leyland.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Always turn off your fridge before filling up if it's running on gas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Did our first fill today ......... no problem at all...... only thing was while I was prepared for a blow back removing the hose, I didn't realise it would happen when the bottles were full, and I was no where near it.

Rough estimate looks like a litre per day ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back