Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
I am getting a new van (may have mentioned that a couple of times:cool:!). In my current van I have 2 6kg gaslow bottles (11kg won't fit), but I have opted for one 11kg bottle as I want to use the rest of the locker space as it is a 6m van with less storage than the current one.

I thought about installing a tank, but it is limited ,due to the space on the Ducato chassis, to about 20litres (I wish they would standardise litres and kg!) which is not far off the 11kg capacity. It is expensive so I opted to use half the gas locker and have one cylinder. I am now getting worried that I might run short of gas in the winter as I visit Mull often and there is no refillable lpg on Mull. It may be the same elsewhere too.
My question is:
Is it possible to have a tank and a gaslow cylinder working together? ie like an auto changeover?
Any thoughts?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
agree..

but would suggest a manual change over is better as you will then know when the tank or bottle is empty ..

an auto changeover is good as you don't have to go out when it's raining to change over, downside is you don't know when it has happened.. and you could run out of gas without realising you it had changed over unless you go and look at the valve.

both tank and Gaslow bottle can be fitted with remote contents panel gauges..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Spoke to Autogas 2000. They were very helpful. The tank is probably limited to 20 or 25 litres.....not a lot for circa £800 plus the cost of the gaslow bottle and fitting. I will pursue the possibility of a beanie box type fitting and use 2 bottles after all. That might cost slightly less, but be an easier fitting.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
I have a 11kg Gaslow bottle fitted to my 6m van, it is approx 22 litres of lpg. We go off in winter to Spain, e.g., in Salamanca in January it can be -10deg at night. We go to the South where it us warmer but it can be cold at night. We use the oven most days for cooking and put on the gas water heater when using the shower to help with water temp recovery to supplement the electric water heater. We also put on the space heater for approx 20 minutes in the morning to warm up quick. We have never used more than 5kg of lpg over a 2 month period. Can you get an electric hookup in Mull to help with heating to reduce gas consumption? I would say you won't have a problem unless you are staying for a long period if time.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
What about carrying a Calor bottle with you for the times you're on Mull and feed it into the van via a bbq point ?

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have 2 x 11kg gas low bottles fitted and also carry a spare calor 6kg bottle in the garage for the BBQ. The reason I carry the 6kg instead of a smaller cylinder is that I also have the gas low hose that screws into the filler neck and has a propane regulator on the other end which allows you to use a calor cylinder if the gaslow bottles are empty. You can't transfer the contents instead the gas is drawn from the calor bottle direct to the appliance. Never used it yet but feel a lot better with it in the garage just in case.

May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2016 - very much newbies
We also have a 11kg Gaslow cylinder and a spare smaller Calor cylinder. Don't have a auto or manual changeover valve. Gaslow sell an adaptor that can easily allow you to attach the Gaslow hose to the Calor cylinder (in the unlikely event that you cannot refill the Gaslow cylinder). What I like about this approach is that it leaves the Calor cylinder free to use for a BBQ away from the van and also Gaslow sell other adaptors for foreign cylinders giving you even more options when abroad if you can't find a refilling location.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
This is the Gaslow reserve cylinder connection hose which I fitted the propane easy fit adaptor to. As I said never used it but it is in the garage just incase.

Link Removed

May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2016 - very much newbies
If you have no spare room in the gas locker then the solution mentioned by @Lorryman100 would be ideal. If you have only used half of your locker space with a single Gaslow cylinder then I'd suggest securing the 'emergency' Calor cylinder into the spare space and if you need to use it just disconnect the hose from the regulator where it attaches to the Gaslow cylinder (close the valve on the Gaslow cylinder first), fit the propane easyfit adaptor and connect it to the Calor gas bottle. All very easy but don't forget to check for leaks. The main advantage is obviously that the Calor cylinder is inside and doesn't have to be disconnected when you move the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back