LPG refilling tips (1 Viewer)

Apr 4, 2020
North west Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Instructions are usually on the pump, you may need to press a call button to alert the kiosk. I must admit it was with some trepidation that I made my first fill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
May smell but doesn't cause severe burns.
I have to say ...over 20 years working 2ith forklifts in freezing conditions filling them with lpg etc ...never seen any of use get burned with it ...
Just a matter of being careful really.
Otherwise the pump's would have big signs up saying gloves and goggles to be worn etc.

In Greece they have young girl's filling them for you lol

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have to say ...over 20 years working 2ith forklifts in freezing conditions filling them with lpg etc ...never seen any of use get burned with it ...
Just a matter of being careful really.
Otherwise the pump's would have big signs up saying gloves and goggles to be worn etc.

In Greece they have young girl's filling them for you lol
Refrigerant evaporates at a similar temperature, I've never been burned disconnecting AC gauges and the high side squirts liquid straight on your fingers 😜 you have to be quick mind, and if it doesn't unscrew quickly you have to swap hands.

I know an apprentice got burns once, but young people don't have any common sense 🤣

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Engage trigger on the nozzle handle (the garage I frequent signage implies the trigger will hold in place, but I have to retain a hand on the trigger.
Kannon Fodda
Usually there's a small pull out lever at the back of the trigger guard. Once the trigger is fully pulled pull out the lever and while holding the lever release the trigger.
Took me a couple of fills before being shown this.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
The bigger the gloves, the better

902.jpg

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Never seen that happen in several hundred fill ups of car tanks and Moho cyls but now I need to assuage my curiosity so I'll try next fill 🤔
I have found that when it slows and then stops, it is not always full. At a local filling station where I had needed help in hooking on, the manageress stood with me and informed me that it was full when it appeared to stop at 9 litres. I said no it isn't and stood with my finger on the button until it reached 14.5 litres. She didn't believe it but I knew how much room there still was in my tank. And don't forget that 20% is left empty which you need for the pressure. So my 25 litre tank will only fill to 20 litres.
PS and I've never found a pump with a guard in UK!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
PS and I've never found a pump with a guard in UK!!
I've not seen one without for a couple of years, must be old pumps where you fill up. All the BP garages around our way have fitted new pumps over the last 2 or 3 years.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Didn’t the installer give you a run down of how to fill it?

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
mintravels As I was informed when I was a newbie and asked the same question I was told
"There is no such thing as a silly question....ONLY a silly answer...We have all been there and even the so called experts are still learning...so ask away.
You just have to develop the art of separating the wheat from the chaff.!!!!
lol thanks.
Is there somewhere i should post my silly questions?

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
Didn’t the installer give you a run down of how to fill it?
we inherited it from an uncle who had no idea what he had on his hands. i say its new but its really new to me. I have a good idea of how things work just no practical experience of doing it.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The gas industry is very well policed, if any non gas registered person fits it and doesn’t have it tested it could leak like a sieve and Big Bang.
Perhaps a new business could be set up so everyone would have to have a ticket before filling.
A job for the ex-gasman perhaps

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The nearest LPG to us is at Podimore services Yeovil. Our filling point is on the passenger side , unfortunately the pump on that side has been temperamental for years. I always try it in case it has been repaired but no. Fortunately the one on the other side is on a long enough hose to pull through.
Obviously I report it every time and the man says , Engineer says it’s fine. This is the same in our new van.

I make sure not to go when it’s busy as it’s on the A303 and the fuel pump is alongside and you can imagine how popular I’d be standing there waiting to spend £5.

When you press the button the lpg takes a lot longer to start coming through than petrol or diesel.

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I have a question I’ve just purchased a new van with under slung gas tank
Has any body taken a trip though the tunnel with a fitted tank
The reason I ask is while I can turn off the gas in the van it’s going to be near impossible to get under the van to turn off at the regulator
Happy days

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a question I’ve just purchased a new van with under slung gas tank
Has any body taken a trip though the tunnel with a fitted tank
The reason I ask is while I can turn off the gas in the van it’s going to be near impossible to get under the van to turn off at the regulator
Happy days
You could fit an electric shut off valve.

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I recently purchase a new van with a underslung gas tank .
while I can turn off the gas in side the vehicle . It is near impossible to turn
the gas off at the regulator under the van
has any body gone though the tunnel and been asked to turn off the gas
at the regulator

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I just purchase a new van with a under slung gas tank . While I can turn the gas off from inside the van it is near impossible to turn the gas off under the van .
has any body been though the tunnel or ferry been asked to turn off the gas at the regulator
with this type of gas tank
happy days

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I just purchase a new van with a under slung gas tank . While I can turn the gas off from inside the van it is near impossible to turn the gas off under the van .
has any body been though the tunnel or ferry been asked to turn off the gas at the regulator
with this type of gas tank
happy days
Ours is in a really awkward spot and you have to get down on your hands and knees and really reach underneath. In my opinion you have no alternative but to do this for safety reasons. We have only travelled on the ferry so far as we’re over in the S.W. And wouldn’t dream of not doing it. It’s a pain if we park in a puddle!

Bertie B

Free Member
Jun 9, 2020
CARSHALTON , SURREY
Funster No
MH
BURSTNER IXEO 590G
Exp
SINCE JULY 2020
With the departure Shell from selling LPG, I was starting to wonder if having my new MH fitted with the refillable system was such a great idea. We are in South West London/Surrey area. Luckily we found the ESSO Rontec station on the A24 close to Leathered with an LPG pump. As this is such a rare thing people come from far and wide to use it. We found some lovey people queuing at the pump who were delighted to show a first time user mysteries of using the pump. There appears to be an unofficial LPG users appreciation society. It turned out I only needed 10 1/2 litres, an investment of £7.09. Yes gloves are a definite requirement.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I've not seen one without for a couple of years, must be old pumps where you fill up. All the BP garages around our way have fitted new pumps over the last 2 or 3 years.
Interesting and heartening comment Lenny HB.
Good to see after all the negatives we have read on here recently about the "apparent" demise of Autogas.👍👍👍

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All the above safety precautions. In addition if you fill up abroad using an adapter, that too will be b----y cold for a minute after you've disconnected!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always wear heavy duty gloves and work boots with steel caps and fire proof over-alls, together with top quality safety goggles and an industrial standard helmet when I top up my Gaslow bottle... :whistle2:

(There will be some on here who think I am not careful enough because I haven't got a fire extinguisher in my pocket.)

JJ :cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I carry a pair of warehouse freezer gloves to use when filling the LPG. It only takes a splash to burn through skin and flesh down to the bone. As the liquid boils in normal temperatures and expands by hundreds of times the volume, the contact temperature plummets in a second to minus forty two degrees centigrade

Never take the gamble, always use PPE for dangerous substances

Sep 30, 2014
Boston, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10 years
Definitely always wear gloves, particularly if you are using an adapter for EU countries. You will need to unscrew the brass adapter which will be extremely cold and will stick to your hand. I have burnt my hand quite badly once and will never do it again.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Others have said about how cold the gas is but be cautious about handling any of the forward metal parts after filling, which become equally cold and can cause severe burns. Easy to touch them when removing the nozzle and hooking it back up after use so be very careful and use gloves/gauntlets

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And if you have any issues ask at the kiosk ........

We filled up in Wales about 5 years back ...... the attendant came out and filled up for us (we didn't ask he just came out) and he then very shyly asked if he could look round inside the van as he was planning his own self build and looking for ideas. I suggested he sign up here as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back