LPG refilling tips (1 Viewer)

Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
I'm taking my new converted campervan out for a test run for a couple of days in the new year.

Ive never filled up my underslung tank with LPG before and feel a bit stupid for asking but do I have to ask for the pump to be switched on before i attempt to fill?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
No you just clip the pump onto to the filler then press and hold the button on the pump until it stops filling. Be careful when unclipping the filler as it makes a sudden wush noise but nothing to worry about. Youā€™ll find full instructions on the pump.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Wear stout gloves. You can get a tiny release of gas (the whoosh above-its normal) under pressure for a fraction of a second when removing after refuelling, but enough to be unpleasant on the skin for a short time, particularly if you have sensitive skin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
No just connect up there are couple of versions of pump connections ,you will need to keep your hand on the pump button when filling and the pump will stop automatically when your tank is 80% full do not try to put more in .when disconnecting there will be a small release of gas always take your keys out of ignition before starting to fill as this turns off the gas if you have your fridge running on gas .I personally wear a pair of gloves When filling ,usually there are good instructions on the pump body just take your time and all will be well .

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
As said before, once connected up DONā€™T let go of the fill button............I did first time because I thought it was nearly full, but the pump slows to tell you youā€™re there. (y)

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
BĆ¼rstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
Wear gloves and safety glasses when filling up
with gas.
As Grumps pointed out, it will make a real mess of your skin. Imagine what it will do to your eyes.
Take your time and you will be fine šŸ‘

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Wear gloves and safety glasses when filling up
with gas.
As Grumps pointed out, it will make a real mess of your skin. Imagine what it will do to your eyes.
Take your time and you will be fine šŸ‘

I never use gloves or glasses and I am normally really strict about PPE.

If they were necessary for the lay public, we wouldnā€™t be trusted with the pump IMHO.

That said, nobody ever shouts ā€œI wish I hadnā€™t put my safety gear onā€. :)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
I don't wear gloves either..... In the above video why does the person not release pressure handle AND stand back and wait till gas "woosh" finishes BEFORE trying to disconnect filler instead of trying to do it while it is still "wooshing". ???.
Or is that too simple..???

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I always wear leather gardening gauntlets. The little whoosh of gas at the end, seems to be enough to flow up through the drop vent (under the cooker ) which is near the filler point. Then the LPG alarm goes off. Very scary first time. Now I just turn off the alarm before filling.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I always wear heavy gloves, liquid LPG vapourising point is - 42Ā°C it can give you very nasy burns. A Funster ended up in hospital a couple of years ago with LPG burns.

Lenny of course is correct, you canā€™t ever regret wearing PPE and I am happy to say I am wrong to be blasĆ© about the risk.

The only time I have ever thought I needed gloves was a faulty pump where the seal had gone and leaked LPG everywhere. I didnā€™t know that till the pump was cold enough to burn though.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Don't let go of the button when filling as it resets the pump. You will have to go and pay for what you have put in and start again.
Never seen that happen in several hundred fill ups of car tanks and Moho cyls but now I need to assuage my curiosity so I'll try next fill šŸ¤”

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
I always wear heavy gloves, liquid LPG vapourising point is - 42Ā°C it can give you very nasy burns. A Funster ended up in hospital a couple of years ago with LPG burns.
Agree what you say Lenny HB but I bet you don't fud about disconnecting filler as per above video.. sure you like me and release pressure and stand back
Yes gloves are an advised precaution but if you take care not really necessary.
Not to be personal but was the Funster disconnecting the filler coupling at the time or messing about some other way with the gas system.
Steam is just as dangerous.... do you wear gloves to boil the kettle and make tea..??.

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
thanks everyone for the tips. I have a bunch of silly little questions that are probably really obvious. The bigger stuff I can google and generally find the answer.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Instructions are displayed on the pump. It is a bit disconcerting when you do a fill for the first couple of times.

Effectively sequence is to
remove any filler cap on the vehicle
get filler nozzle from pump (last time I did that I spend a minute just trying to get the nozzle to release from the pump housing - weird)
Engage nozzle to filler valve. Usually need to align a couple of slots, lightly push nozzle home and then a quarter turn of the nozzle housing to engage.
Remove hands from anywhere near the nozzle, usually to the handle and behind.
Engage trigger on the nozzle handle (the garage I frequent signage implies the trigger will hold in place, but I have to retain a hand on the trigger.
Now depress, and hold depressed the pump button - often a large big thing.
Keep depressed. May be a very, very long pause for something to happen. You may be waiting for the attendant to authorise the pump. Eventually the pump display will start doing something and a very slight noise implies gas transfer.
As the tank becomes full rate of transfer will slow, then stop on the pump display. Only now do you release the pump button.
Now release the nozzle trigger. Don't put hands in front of the pump handle until trigger is released.
Now disengage the nozzle. Reverse turn the nozzle. There will be a sharp escape of gas, often with slight "bang", brief vapour cloud and a short smell (no smoking!)
Return nozzle to the pump housing
Refit your filler cap.
Get out your plastic at the cashier
Drive away to your next campsite.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Never seen that happen in several hundred fill ups of car tanks and Moho cyls but now I need to assuage my curiosity so I'll try next fill šŸ¤”
Some pumps are like that, others OK to stop and start. You only find out when it's too late.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
I have a bunch of silly little questionstr
mintravels As I was informed when I was a newbie and asked the same question I was told
"There is no such thing as a silly question....ONLY a silly answer...We have all been there and even the so called experts are still learning...so ask away.
You just have to develop the art of separating the wheat from the chaff.!!!!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As a safety precaution against the 80% fill protection in the cylinder/tank I look at the guage and calculate how much I am liely to fill to get to 80% and watch the meter nearing that point ready to let go of the buton should it go past what I have calculated - it usually stops just under a litre short.

Another precaution against overfill and the liquid getting past the tank and into the appliances if the cut-off does not work(and instead of watching the meter you are looking at a blondes nice legs) is to shut off the tank valve before filling. Some say it is not necessary - it might be, if you are a leg man like me.

Geoff

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Have you ever seen spots of water on a really hot hotplate? They skid around on a layer of steam, and if the hotplate is tilted they just slide off onto the floor.

Your hand is like the hotplate to the splashes of LPG. As long as it's just a brief splash, and there's somewhere for it to fall to, and nowhere to get trapped, then there's no problem. The LPG slides off on a layer of gas.

The cold metal is a different matter. If it's been in prolonged contact with LPG, it will be cold enough to freeze your skin and make it stick, causing more freezing and maybe a nasty 'burn'. But for a normal fill, the metal that you need to touch won't get cold enough to be a problem. Probably best to wear gloves until you get used to filling.

But actually gloves have their downside too - a splash of LPG inside the glove will work its way down to your fingers and won't be able to escape.

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
Instructions are displayed on the pump. It is a bit disconcerting when you do a fill for the first couple of times.

get filler nozzle from pump (last time I did that I spend a minute just trying to get the nozzle to release from the pump housing - weird)
Engage nozzle to filler valve. Usually need to align a couple of slots, lightly push nozzle home and then a quarter turn of the nozzle housing to engage.
Engage trigger on the nozzle handle (the garage I frequent signage implies the trigger will hold in place, but I have to retain a hand on the trigger.
Keep depressed. May be a very, very long pause for something to happen. You may be waiting for the attendant to authorise the pump. Eventually the pump display will start doing something and a very slight noise implies gas transfer.
As the tank becomes full rate of transfer will slow, then stop on the pump display. Only now do you release the pump button.
Now release the nozzle trigger. Don't put hands in front of the pump handle until trigger is released.
Now disengage the nozzle. Reverse turn the nozzle. There will be a sharp escape of gas, often with slight "bang", brief vapour cloud and a short smell (no smoking!)
Refit your filler cap.
thanks for this. i really appreciate it. i might print this on a little card and laminate it to keep in my pocket :xlaugh:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Refit your filler cap.
Yup!
You're right.
The instruction are there on the side of the pump.
However, I can just about manage the French ones but I struggle with, in order of difficulty, the Spanish, the Portuguese followed by the German. And, as for the Greek? That one's easy, they're all Greek to me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I use gauntlets to do this as normally in t-shirt - same gauntlets used for emptying toilet. You have been warned.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I use gauntlets to do this as normally in t-shirt - same gauntlets used for emptying toilet. You have been warned.
:xeek: I think that I will carry on wearing my gloves then for the LPG fill !
I dont use gloves to empty cassette as I prefer not to have potentially dirty gloves hanging around. A good hand wash after is better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back