scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Incidentally the guy who fixed it said it didn't
rmatter if the valves were open or closed on filling with this gaslow pipe system.

Gaslow advice is to close them... I emailed and asked why..

Hi James

Thank you for your enquiry, you should always turn of the outlet from the cylinders when refilling, otherwise the pressure on the regulator increases and can damage it while filling. Also if its not turned off, you can risk getting liquid gas into the regulator.

Regards

Jacquie

Gaslow International Ltd

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So how do folk with underslung tanks get on ?
I have never turned off the taps in the past gawd knows how many years and not had a problem..
Not saying I am doing it right or wrong you understand, just saying I have never had an issue

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So how do folk with underslung tanks get on ?
I have never turned off the taps in the past gawd knows how many years and not had a problem..
Not saying I am doing it right or wrong you understand, just saying I have never had an issue

Likewise.. I never bothered isolating until I read it on the Gaslow site.. hence my email asking for an explanation..

I now play it safe and turn off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ther Truma bulkhead regulator has a max inlet pressure of 230 psi, pump filling pressure is around 120 - 140 psi so regulator should be able to cope with filling pressure. I always turn mine off no point in risking it with the price of regulators.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have an under slung tank and do not turn anything except the fridge off when refilling. Only turn the fridge off because I leave it running on gas all the time we are away unless we happen to be somewhere with hook up. I have not had any problems so far.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when calor come to fill my tank at home nothing gets turned off and in all the years since 93 i doubt its ever been turned off more than 4 times .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Ther Truma bulkhead regulator has a max inlet pressure of 230 psi, pump filling pressure is around 120 - 140 psi so regulator should be able to cope with filling pressure. I always turn mine off no point in risking it with the price of regulators.
What exactly could happen internally to damage the reg, I am interested because certainly in plumbing turning off and on taps often gives trouble.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Our fridge is above the fill point, so I guess I SHOULD turn it off when filling. (Just in case it fires up during filling)
But I DO turn the bottle valves to off to protect the regulator.
Mitch.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What exactly could happen internally to damage the reg, I am interested because certainly in plumbing turning off and on taps often gives trouble.

The filling pressure is higher than the bottle pressure.. so in theory it could burst the diaphragm of the regulator..

worst case scenario it then allows high pressure gas into the low pressure side of the regulator.. and the pipework.. that could lead to LPG escaping into the locker .. then onto the forecourt..

I see it as a precaution.. and an easy one to take..

Closing the bottle valve won't cause harm.. they are high pressure gas needle valves.. not domestic water taps..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back