Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Shortage seems to be over !
My fone app has been going potty with updates... even mt local pace on the Bury Rd here in Thetford has supplies now

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Yep, the whole of the UK is in crisis because someone at a supermarket garage told you you couldn't buy LPG from them and a nearby garage didn't have any.

I'm staying indoors until the Government sorts this nightmare out. Oh, hang on a minute, I don't have gas in my van, thank goodness for diesel cooking & heating.:)

As well as Morrisons refusing the OP it appears that there was a genuine nationwide shortage of LPG for a short time so IMO the OP was entitled to feel a tad worried about getting a fill when setting out for a trip away!

Don't recall him posting that the UK is in crisis though - to me it read that the OPs post seemed to be stating that in his experience finding a forecourt to fill his campers LPG tank was proving more difficult in the UK compared with the rest of Europe:cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If Gaslow types of systems were not allowed to be DIY fitted then possibly these garages would be more inclined to allow filling. We see so many threads on here about failures and leaks on self fitted gaslow types of system but not for professionally fitted and tested tank installations.

Personally I think they should have to be tested yearly and a gas safety certificate issued. This gas safety certificate should be shown before garages turn the pump on.

We dont allow home gas systems to be DIY fitted and they dont store liquid gas under pressure so why allow vehicles which the gas system is subject to vibration and flexing in a vehicle to be fitted by anyone?
Mine was fitted by a professional and its tested every year but if they're going to refuse, they'll refuse no matter what paperwork you have

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You're right of course - but it targets one group of people. Hoodies are OK as are religious face coverings. As a motorcyclist I'm reluctant to remove my helmet unnecessarily - if it's raining the last thing l want inside it is wet hair and l don't want to handle it at any time if my hands are dirty or wet. So l find any request to remove it offensive.
Understandable but in this day and age, the removal of a helmet is required in many places because of security, not only the shopkeeper or attendants but everyone's safety. If you've no malicious intentions then it's a small price to pay. When I drive a motorbike, it wasn't compulsory to remove but dud do out of respect. Motorists get their hair wet when going to pay, do should we all be offended?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
E]

nothing to do with health and safety its so they can get a face picture in case the run of without paying
So waht about the burka wearers ?
It is discrimination, nothing else.

Understandable but in this day and age, the removal of a helmet is required in many places because of security, not only the shopkeeper or attendants but everyone's safety. If you've no malicious intentions then it's a small price to pay. When I drive a motorbike, it wasn't compulsory to remove but dud do out of respect. Motorists get their hair wet when going to pay, do should we all be offended?

As above, & yes we should .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nothing to do with hair as such but it is difficult enough in town, in the rain, to prevent a visor misting. Wet hair (and face) definitely doesn't help. I too remove my helmet whenever possible to fully engage with the person I'm talking to but a filling station on a wet night isn't one of those occasions.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
" Following the successful completion of the course and assessment, the technician will receive the NCC Certificate of Competence in Electrical Maintenance of LV/ELV Systems, Equipment & Circuits. "

yup.. 4 days and fully qualified http://www.nccacademy.org.uk/electrical-test-and-inspection-for-caravan-service

I feel the need to point out that your quote doesn't reflect the link you provided which states:

Following successful completion of the course and assessment, the technician will receive the NCC Certificate of Competence in Electrical Maintenance: Test & Inspection of Touring Caravans & Motorhomes.

The Job family is Electrical Maintenance, the unit assessed as competent is the Test & Inspection of Touring Caravans & Motorhomes.

I also feel your other quote needs a wider quotation to provide context.

Rather than:
" Do I need previous experience?
The course is suitable for both first time learners"

The paragraph in full states:
Do I need previous experience?
The course is suitable for both first time learners and technicians familiar with electrical work. If you have alternative electrical qualifications, you should still consider taking this course as the programme is specific to touring caravans and motorhomes and should be seen as complementary to your other electrical qualifications, where appropriate. Legislation governing electrical work is continually evolving. The qualification is renewable after five years and meets the minimum competency for Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS).

Certainly not aiming to fall out with anyone but just feel that quotations need to be correct and indicate context. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Nothing to do with hair as such but it is difficult enough in town, in the rain, to prevent a visor misting. Wet hair (and face) definitely doesn't help. I too remove my helmet whenever possible to fully engage with the person I'm talking to but a filling station on a wet night isn't one of those occasions.
You mentioned in your previous post about wet hair.
It's not offensive (unless you're snowflake generation where everything is offensive) to remove your helmet. It may be awkward, it may be many things but offensive it isn't. If I was in a shop or filling station, I would tell the manager/attendant that it's wrong for helmet wearers to use facilities because if security.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I feel the need to point out that your quote doesn't reflect the link you provided

thanks .. In future I will endeavour to make quotations "correct and indicate context" .. correctly.
However, It wasn't a transcription, the point of posting the link was so that anyone interested in this topic could click the link and read it for themselves without cutting and pasting verbatim as you thought was required.

No matter, the point I was making is that applicants with no previous electrical experience or qualification, be they an ex salesperson, window cleaner, shelf stacker et al. Not deriding these jobs or the people who do them, but they can train and be qualified in 4 days.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You mentioned in your previous post about wet hair.
It's not offensive (unless you're snowflake generation where everything is offensive) to remove your helmet. It may be awkward, it may be many things but offensive it isn't. If I was in a shop or filling station, I would tell the manager/attendant that it's wrong for helmet wearers to use facilities because if security.
Snowflake generation? I wish:)

It's offensive because someone is making an assumption based on appearance. I am just as much as security threat (or not) whether my helmet is under my arm or on my head. I don't really understand the security issue at all. And isn't just awkward - it can make it impossible to ride with visor down if misting is severe. Try driving on a wet night with your wipers off, heater and blower off, wearing a wet raincoat. That is what it's like wearing a damp helmet.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

It's offensive because someone is making an assumption based on appearance. I am just as much as security threat (or not) whether my helmet is under my arm or on my head. I don't really understand the security issue at all. And isn't just awkward - it can make it impossible to ride with visor down if misting is severe. Try driving on a wet night with your wipers off, heater and blower off, wearing a wet raincoat. That is what it's like wearing a damp helmet.

I'm not too sure what this all has to do with LPG filling:eek:

However I was under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) that the "security threat" element of wearing a crash helmet with a visor whilst in a filling station, shop, chippie, bank etc was twofold -

1. Not being able to recognise you if you scarpered without paying

2. Appearing somewhat intimidating and more difficult/dangerous to approach if trying to rob the premises

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

But nobody knows you're not a threat till you take your helmet off.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No worse than garages preventing motorcyclists filling their tanks unless they remove their helmets, elf n safety, you know.
Ok if your wearing your burka though. :rolleyes:
Here's one for you, wear a lid over a burka, take your lid off and see if the pump starts :rofl::rofl:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm not too sure what this all has to do with LPG filling:eek:

However I was under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) that the "security threat" element of wearing a crash helmet with a visor whilst in a filling station, shop, chippie, bank etc was twofold -

1. Not being able to recognise you if you scarpered without paying

2. Appearing somewhat intimidating and more difficult/dangerous to approach if trying to rob the premises
That's precisely my point. Why should anyone, dressed in motorcycle gear, wearing a helmet, and with their motorcycle wearing a registration plate, be more of a threat than a car driver wearing a hooded anorak or, worse, a hoodie?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't get this ... most garage forecourts are covered so why would you end up with wet hair if you took your helmet off?

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Shortage seems to be over !
My fone app has been going potty with updates... even mt local pace on the Bury Rd here in Thetford has supplies now

Good to know @Jaws .

We filled up a few weeks ago. I tried three stations near where I was located all had run out. Apparently the type of gas used by BP is no longer allowed so they have a supply chain problem. #don't quote me I'm just repeating what all the stations gave as a reason for being empty.

But like a good comedian (which I'm not) I return full circle back to the original point because where did I fill up? Yep, my local Morrison's which I always use without any problems.

According to the lady behind the counter in our Morrison's (Wellingborough) staff are on the lookout for people using the adopters but if they have an external filling point that's perfectly acceptable.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wearing a crash helmet can hide part of your face AND distort it too ... just look at yourself in the mirror when you're wearing it and you'll see what I mean. I know you can argue that someone in a burka is also not so identifiable too but (assuming they haven't just taken off a crash helmet!) their much less likely to have a high powered motorcycle out front which they can scarper on quickly ...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't get this ... most garage forecourts are covered so why would you end up with wet hair if you took your helmet off?
Not all are. If you have had the experience of re-fuelling whilst literally dripping wet, removing gloves, fishing out means of payment from a hopefully dry pocket, then making your way to a pay booth, then you would understand why anything that wets the inside of your helmet, face, or hair, is best avoided. It is a miserable experience made worse by, on occasions, the officious twerp behind the desk.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That's precisely my point. Why should anyone, dressed in motorcycle gear, wearing a helmet, and with their motorcycle wearing a registration plate, be more of a threat than a car driver wearing a hooded anorak or, worse, a hoodie?
Ah right. A registration is guaranteed to be correct for that bike.. Haven't recent atrocities been carried out with false plates on?
Irrespective of that, as @Minxy Girl says, most forecourts are covered.
However, are you recommending that motorists don a hoodie or face covering as they fuel up and pay then the softie bikers can feel less offended?
Next the Hells Angels will be carrying umbrella's to keep them dry.
The only forecourts I've seen in the last few years that are not covered are for HGV drivers. There's not one I know of in Greater Manchester where its uncovered but there may be daresay. Is it not possible to carry a hair drier?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Not all are. If you have had the experience of re-fuelling whilst literally dripping wet, removing gloves, fishing out means of payment from a hopefully dry pocket, then making your way to a pay booth, then you would understand why anything that wets the inside of your helmet, face, or hair, is best avoided. It is a miserable experience made worse by, on occasions, the officious twerp behind the desk.
OK, do all that makes it awful and awkward but removing the helmet is only a part of your misery. Perhaps, knowing you're going to fuel, why not have your means of payment more readily available and then you wouldn't have to virtually strip to access it? Or, wait and find somewhere where its covered or fill up on a nice day?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ah right. A registration is guaranteed to be correct for that bike.. Haven't recent atrocities been carried out with false plates on?
Irrespective of that, as @Minxy Girl says, most forecourts are covered.
However, are you recommending that motorists don a hoodie or face covering as they fuel up and pay then the softie bikers can feel less offended?
Next the Hells Angels will be carrying umbrella's to keep them dry.
The only forecourts I've seen in the last few years that are not covered are for HGV drivers. There's not one I know of in Greater Manchester where its uncovered but there may be daresay. Is it not possible to carry a hair drier?
That's bordering on offensive. You know I'm not suggesting any of those things. The numberplates of high powered cars outside are recorded on CCTV. As are those of motorcycles. I haven't heard of a single instance of a motorist being asked to ensure his face can be recognised by a camera by removing anything that might be in the way. The reason for asking that a helmet is removed is entirely because motorcyclists are being profiled as customers most likely to have criminal intent. I would object, under the same circumstances, if l, or anyone else, was asked to remove a burka or any other face covering. It's a bl**dy petrol station - not Passport Control.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That's bordering on offensive. You know I'm not suggesting any of those things. The numberplates of high powered cars outside are recorded on CCTV. As are those of motorcycles. I haven't heard of a single instance of a motorist being asked to ensure his face can be recognised by a camera by removing anything that might be in the way. The reason for asking that a helmet is removed is entirely because motorcyclists are being profiled as customers most likely to have criminal intent. I would object, under the same circumstances, if l, or anyone else, was asked to remove a burka or any other face covering. It's a bl**dy petrol station - not Passport Control.
It's pointless having high powered super duper recordings of number plates if they're false isn't it?
Well perhaps I'm not as sensitive to a drop or two of rain. Rain is what happens in this country.. I didn't mean to be offensive to you personally but just finding it a hilarious comment under this thread, unless you fill your bike with lpg which is what thus thread is about.
Why not put up a poll and see if people agree that bikers should be exempt from removing their helmets because they might get their hair wet? It's just a thought and see if many agree that it's actually offensive to be asked to get bikers to remove their skid lids. I can understand objectionable, even awkward, maybe unfair (as compared with burka wearers (who are banned in France), even racist but not offensive.
Strangely enough, thus afternoon I've contacted 6 mates who ride and were this afternoon (yes it threw it down this afternoon) and asked was it OFFENSIVE to them, and they said they just did it because they needed fuel. I sincerely apologise if anything I said bordered on offensive but removal of helmets isn't IMHO.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's pointless having high powered super duper recordings of number plates if they're false isn't it?
Well perhaps I'm not as sensitive to a drop or two of rain. Rain is what happens in this country.. I didn't mean to be offensive to you personally but just finding it a hilarious comment under this thread, unless you fill your bike with lpg which is what thus thread is about.
Why not put up a poll and see if people agree that bikers should be exempt from removing their helmets because they might get their hair wet? It's just a thought and see if many agree that it's actually offensive to be asked to get bikers to remove their skid lids. I can understand objectionable, even awkward, maybe unfair (as compared with burka wearers (who are banned in France), even racist but not offensive.
Strangely enough, thus afternoon I've contacted 6 mates who ride and were this afternoon (yes it threw it down this afternoon) and asked was it OFFENSIVE to them, and they said they just did it because they needed fuel. I sincerely apologise if anything I said bordered on offensive but removal of helmets isn't IMHO.
The helmet thing started at post 17. Your sarcasm is wasted on me as is mentioning racism. Wearing a helmet over wet hair is simply an inconvenience and is not why l find being asked to remove a helmet offensive. There are many circumstances where it us essential that an individual should be accurately identified and where it is necessary to remove facial coverings. The only occasions where this would happen involve photo ID. I find it just as hilarious that you believe helmet removal in a filling station has anything to do with being able to identify a customer. It is most likely prejudice based on an incident involving a person wearing a helmet at some time in the past and a knee-jerk reaction has gone national. The simple reason is that garages don't trust people who wear helmets. That is what l find offensive. I presume your friends would be happy to jump thtough hoops "because they needed fuel"?

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I’ve just realised I posted about wearing a motorbike helmet in a thread about LPG availability, what’s wrong with me........show restraint,answers of less than a thousand words only !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back