LPG Nightmare (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Most of the threads relating to leaks I have seen have been due to defective cylinders rather than poor DIY fitting.
I had two Gaslow cylinders replaced under warranty due to leaking around the connector. My system was professionally fitted and always had an annual habitation service which included a Gas Safe inspection.
I had my van checked for gas safety just last month.
The guy says one pig tale neads replacing at sum point but apart from that he was very happy with my DIY bodge fitting
Bill

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes think you did mention it soumwhare still waiting on the links to all the self fitted systems o thers a few threads apparently I can't find them ?
Bill
There are hundreds of postings about Gaslow - I'm not going through them all just to find a leak:D.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
My last motorhome was supplied by dealer with a shiny new habitation and gas check. Along with a tiny lpg leak caused by a cross-threaded pipe connection.

Always makes me laugh when people say they have had a professional fit their gas systems or have had a gas check !
Do they actually realise that most dealers don't have any gas qualifications.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ok, thanks all for your constructive comments. Im near Otterburn at present and am heading North to Scotland, so will try in Glasgow. I won't post anymore on this, so thanks again for the helpful comments, they were much apprecieted!
If you are passing through Glasgow, I fill up at the South St filling station, just off the Clydeside Expressway, near the SECC on the north bank of the river Clyde with no problems. I filled up last week.

They also had LPG at Tore filling station,approx 10 miles North of Inverness and in Broadford filling station on Skye

I would second using https://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.ph. I found it very good and accurate

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Always makes me laugh when people say they have had a professional fit their gas systems or have had a gas check !
Do they actually realise that most dealers don't have any gas qualifications.

Not true Basil, most dealers will have personnel certified for lpg to at least ACOPS level, some will have personnel certified to gas safe level, I will hopefully be starting my gas safe certification in June.

D.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Not true Basil, most dealers will have personnel certified for lpg to at least ACOPS level, some will have personnel certified to gas safe level, I will hopefully be starting my gas safe certification in June.

D.
Well any that we have asked have been very cagey when you ask for details, ACOP is pretty much a joke .
Not saying that some aren't fully qualified but I get the impression that many aren't.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Well any that we have asked have been very cagey when you ask for details, ACOP is pretty much a joke .
Not saying that some aren't fully qualified but I get the impression that many aren't.

Why is ACOPS a joke?

D.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If Gaslow types of systems were not allowed to be DIY fitted then possibly these garages would be more inclined to allow filling. We see so many threads on here about failures and leaks on self fitted gaslow types of system but not for professionally fitted and tested tank installations.

Personally I think they should have to be tested yearly and a gas safety certificate issued. This gas safety certificate should be shown before garages turn the pump on.

We dont allow home gas systems to be DIY fitted and they dont store liquid gas under pressure so why allow vehicles which the gas system is subject to vibration and flexing in a vehicle to be fitted by anyone?

Working on that basis those using exchangeable bottles (eg Calor) would have to get a gas engineer to change the bottles.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
nothing to do with health and safety its so they can get a face picture in case the run of without paying
You're right of course - but it targets one group of people. Hoodies are OK as are religious face coverings. As a motorcyclist I'm reluctant to remove my helmet unnecessarily - if it's raining the last thing l want inside it is wet hair and l don't want to handle it at any time if my hands are dirty or wet. So l find any request to remove it offensive.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There is a problem with inexperienced DiYers connecting gas lines. Most critical fasteners are, these days, tightened using a torque wrench and, if guidance is followed, will be tightened safely. Gas (and brake) lines rely on an individuals care and experience to arrive at a satisfactory and safe joint. Flared connections and compression joints are very easy to get wrong because over-tightening is too easy. Even those with rubber (or a derivative) as a sealing medium are very easily damaged. I'm always worried when people ask whether they should, or how tight, or what is this type of connection, or should l tighten it a bit more to stop a leak. If you have to ask .................

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It is a one or 2 day course with very little required knowledge to pass .
There is also no requirement to provide auditable industry experience unlike Gas Safe acs
There is also a 100 percent pass rate on acops which tells me a lot !

when I did mine it was a five day course first time then a 2 day refresher every five years. As an industry professional we need to be able to prove our competence and that is the purpose of ACOPS. 100% PASS rate is not a problem, you take the tests during the course and redo them until you pass, it's not about failing people, it's about training them.

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It was a professional MH dealer's technician who installed the lethal BBQ point in a previous MH of ours ... since then I've always done my own Gaslow installations and will continue to do so.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
They also had LPG at Tore filling station,approx 10 miles North of Inverness and in Broadford filling station on Skye

Is the Tore garage LPG back up and running? the pump has been broken for a few years, up to early last year at least

On my last trip I had to go to Dingwall, on Strathpeffer Road, nice easy access but not cheap (y)

Bit of a rarity LPG in the highlands, the only pump on Lewis was out of action as well, but we topped up at Uig on Skye before crossing

I use the LPG map, but now often call to confirm, a good few have closed the LPG pumps :(

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Is the Tore garage LPG back up and running? the pump has been broken for a few years, up to early last year at least

On my last trip I had to go to Dingwall, on Strathpeffer Road, nice easy access but not cheap (y)

Bit of a rarity LPG in the highlands, the only pump on Lewis was out of action as well, but we topped up at Uig on Skye before crossing

I use the LPG map, but now often call to confirm, a good few have closed the LPG pumps :(
Tore was working 2 weeks ago. I used it on the way North to Durness. It is to the side of the filing station, away from the fuel forecourt.
I saw someone using the Broadford lpg pump on Skye
Just checked and filllpg says Dingwall, Lairg, Strathcarron and Broadford are all out of service but Ullapool, Uig and Tore are OK

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It was a professional MH dealer's technician who installed the lethal BBQ point in a previous MH of ours ... since then I've always done my own Gaslow installations and will continue to do so.
The thing is that you the customers expect that a so called professional is just that , but think about it for a moment and you are expecting the motorhome guy to be a qualified electrician, electronics expert, plumber , gas fitter , and many other trades too .
I doubt many motorhome repair guys are actually fully trained to do any of these trades .

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Tore was working 2 weeks ago. I used it on the way North to Durness. It is to the side of the filing station, away from the fuel forecourt.
I saw someone using the Broadford lpg pump on Skye
Just checked and filllpg says Dingwall, Lairg, Strathcarron and Broadford are all out of service but Ullapool, Uig and Tore are OK

Dingwall is working, Tore was last week, Dornoch is working, Skiach nr Evanton may not be working. These are my local stations.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Working on that basis those using exchangeable bottles (eg Calor) would have to get a gas engineer to change the bottles.
No because its the connectors and joints that DIY installers over or under tighten that causes joints to crack or leak. But some people are unfit to fit an exchangeable gas bottle also!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Most of the threads relating to leaks I have seen have been due to defective cylinders rather than poor DIY fitting.
I had two Gaslow cylinders replaced under warranty due to leaking around the connector. My system was professionally fitted and always had an annual habitation service which included a Gas Safe inspection.

Ive seen a lot on cracked nuts and leaking hose joints

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Once upon a time we had craft apprenticeships.. lasting 4 - 5 years with college on day-release and a City & Guilds qualification on passing the exams.. Electrical fitting, Electrical Maintenance, Automotive, Mech Fitting and Turning, et al .. After that time you worked alongside a time-served journeyman to gain more experience.. that was how I was trained.. and after that went to college at night-school for higher qualifications.

you can now become 'qualified' to install , fault find and test LPG gas and 12v electrical systems in a 5 day course..

I'm not saying they are all bad, I'm sure Dave Newell is very competent, with years of experience and I would trust him., but that said, you cannot learn or get the experience in 5 days what you would get in 5 years .. and it's people with none or very little experience who are getting these qualifications..

I wonder how long it will be until we see people trained as nurses and doctors on a 5 day course ?

No, that will never happen because we wouldn't let them near us.. yet we are quite happy to let a 5 day course fitter work on our pride and joy.. ? I don't think so.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Once upon a time we had craft apprenticeships.. lasting 4 - 5 years with college on day-release and a City & Guilds qualification on passing the exams.. Electrical fitting, Electrical Maintenance, Automotive, Mech Fitting and Turning, et al .. After that time you worked alongside a time-served journeyman to gain more experience.. that was how I was trained.. and after that went to college at night-school for higher qualifications.

you can now become 'qualified' to install , fault find and test LPG gas and 12v electrical systems in a 5 day course..

I'm not saying they are all bad, I'm sure Dave Newell is very competent, with years of experience and I would trust him., but that said, you cannot learn or get the experience in 5 days what you would get in 5 years .. and it's people with none or very little experience who are getting these qualifications..

I wonder how long it will be until we see people trained as nurses and doctors on a 5 day course ?

No, that will never happen because we wouldn't let them near us.. yet we are quite happy to let a 5 day course fitter work on our pride and joy.. ? I don't think so.

That's why I said ACOPS is a joke .
Try and get Gas safe registration in 5 days
They won't let you do the ACS initial training without auditable industry experience.
Not saying that it makes every Gas Safe person good but it is a step in the right direction.
Most Gas Safe registered people won't have the lpg component anyway as they won't need it , I have let mine lapse a year ago but I know my little finger has more Gas experience and knowledge than the monkey that did a habitation certificate for us to make the motorhome more appealing to a potential buyer.
They do a basic air test but there was no proper gas tightness test and certainly no standing or working pressure tests carried out ,
£180 was a joke .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although loads of stations in France have LPG (GPL) some only have access to one side, probably not a problem with a car but the hoses aren't long enough to reach round even a small motohome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's why I said ACOPS is a joke .
Try and get Gas safe registration in 5 days
They won't let you do the ACS initial training without auditable industry experience.
Not saying that it makes every Gas Safe person good but it is a step in the right direction.
Most Gas Safe registered people won't have the lpg component anyway as they won't need it , I have let mine lapse a year ago but I know my little finger has more Gas experience and knowledge than the monkey that did a habitation certificate for us to make the motorhome more appealing to a potential buyer.
They do a basic air test but there was no proper gas tightness test and certainly no standing or working pressure tests carried out ,
£180 was a joke .

you can get an Electrical Test and Inspection qualification in 2 days .. or 4 days if you take follow-on "advanced" 2 day course ..

" Do I need previous experience?
The course is suitable for both first time learners"

" Following the successful completion of the course and assessment, the technician will receive the NCC Certificate of Competence in Electrical Maintenance of LV/ELV Systems, Equipment & Circuits. "

yup.. 4 days and fully qualified http://www.nccacademy.org.uk/electrical-test-and-inspection-for-caravan-service

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Although loads of stations in France have LPG (GPL) some only have access to one side, probably not a problem with a car but the hoses aren't long enough to reach round even a small motohome.
My filler is on the rear bumper , so no problem! :)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
you can get an Electrical Test and Inspection qualification in 2 days .. or 4 days if you take follow-on "advanced" 2 day course ..

" Do I need previous experience?
The course is suitable for both first time learners"

" Following the successful completion of the course and assessment, the technician will receive the NCC Certificate of Competence in Electrical Maintenance of LV/ELV Systems, Equipment & Circuits. "

yup.. 4 days and fully qualified http://www.nccacademy.org.uk/electrical-test-and-inspection-for-caravan-service

The scarey thing is that these are the courses that the dealers etc send their fully qualified staff on ?
Not saying all are unqualified but a huge number are really not what the customers think they are getting.
I always laugh when you hear people talking about their builder and they say "Oh yes he is fantastic he can do everything "

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back