Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Dromara, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
spent two months last year in Europe and got LPG almost anywhere for my GasLow system. Left Harrogate today heading for Northumberland and decided to try and find LPG. My LPG app shows lots of Morrison’s with LPG, so stopped at one in Killingworh, Newcastle. A jobsworth came running out of the office shouting....you can’t fill that up in this station. When I asked why, he sad that only LPG powered vehicles could be filled and that camper vans couldn’t. Said it was Elf & Safet rules. I contacted Morrison’s and their reply is below:

Hi Mark - we do not allow for this. Please see our LPG policy below:
Morrisons will not permit filling of any portable gas vessel in any of our LPG stations, some manufacturers state that they have an approved LPG filling tank but unlike vehicles that make use of LPG they have an annual MOT to assess safety, Morrison's will not take any risk with allowing customers to use portable gas vessels or fill motorhomes , our stance is the position of least risk. If customers present a safety certificate to show that their motorhome/gas vessel is fit to fill i.e (tested regularly) then we would still not allow this, reason being is because our staff cannot be expected to be experts in and inspect portable vessels and recognise their technical qualifications. - Raj

I then managed to find a Shell station n Byker so off we set, only to find out their LPG was empty. WTF is going on in UK!

It therefore looks like LPG for Motorhomers in the UK is like Rocking Horse shit!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What a load of old cobblers new cars don’t have MOTs till three years old so that argument is out of the window and as I have often been informed the MOT is only as good as the day it’s done.
Morrison’s have a downer on motorhomes still their loss

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think its the inconsistency that is hard to understand...
If its company policy then its not applied evenly... i fill up at morrisons in jarrow... last time about 6 weeks back so unless its changed recently its not every Morrisons.
Andy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Morrison stations have a new policy:
LPG pumps can only be used by vehicles which use LPG for their engines. They don't allow GASLOW systems.

https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/

Notice on pump:
The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with Automotive LPG tanks, For safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable cylinders, or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans or motor homes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We filled up before we went on holiday in February at Morrisons, no problem at all 55p pl.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We normally have absolutely no problems filling up at our local morrisons. Since our van is not solely used by mum and I we have a rule that it returns filled of fuel and gas., Drove up to our local morrisons yesterday to hear that theres a backlog of LPG supplies, none on the line for arrival...Just as well we don't need ay.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have been filling our Gaslow tanks at Morrisons in Ipswich for the last 6 years.
After this topic was brought up on here a couple of years ago I made a point of asking the staff if there was any instructions from their HO that Motorhomes could not be filled.
At that time they said they had not had such instructions and that they did a lot of business with Motorhomes that they would not want to lose.
Filled there just last Thursday without problems and a local dealer was filling a van at the same time.
I think there may be some confused ‘jobs worths’ in some of their fuel stations.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We use morrisons in Ipswich and grays, the Ipswich one is just around the corner from marquis who fill up there. Never had a problem with either so probably someone enforcing the rules rigorously

OP
OP
B

Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
This was a response from Morrison’s FB page, a bit different to the Messenger reply from Raj;

Hi Mark, thanks for the post. The colleague was correct. It is our advice that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be refilled at autogas refuelling sites. Vessels which are attached to a vehicle for heating or cooking (on camper vans or similar) present similar risks on filling to those for propulsion purposes and may be permitted to be re-filled at autogas refuelling sites provided they:
• remain in-situ for refilling; and
• are fitted with a device to physically prevent filling beyond 80%; and
• are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the vessel. I hope this helps. - Justine

I responded to her to say that my Motorhome complied with her three points above and she then moved the goalpost again with this response;

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. As long as it has the Auto LPG tank and meets those requirements then it should be fine. - Justine

Clear as Mud.....what’s an Auto LPG tank?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had someone come running over to me at a Morrison’s trying to tell me I could not fill our RV with lpg. Our 80 litre lpg tank ran the cooking heating and generator. I told them it was a Diesel engine powered by lpg and they said it was ok then.
They haven’t a clue even when they have guidelines.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When this was brought up on another thread I wrote to UKLPG, the trade association of the UK LPG industry and this is the answer I got:

“Please note that the correspondence you have shown me is relating to portable (non-fixed) LPG cylinders that consumers sometimes put in the boot of their vehicle and take out to fill on a forecourt using adaptors. This is where the concern is.

Cylinders with a relief valve that are permanently fixed within a motor home
(normally in a gas locker) with a remote purpose built fill connection can be safely refuelled on forecourts, and as far as I am aware the oil companies have not banned this activity.

UKLPG is a trade association and we cannot ban any practice. However, we offer guidance to operators on what they need to do to comply with the law. “

OP
OP
B

Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Thanks Minky,

I think This is effectively what the Justine a Lady said to me in her response from Morrisons. I will print all correspondence and carry it with me. I will also ask her to inform Morrison’s fuel stations of what she has said Morrison’s policy is.

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't think that 2 missed LPG filling opportunities constitutes a nightmare, if it does you have a very easy life compared to many (y)

My recent findings are that the expensive prime locations that sell LPG never seem to run out, probably due to the price, but I use the motorway options regularly due to easier access (y)

If you are still near Newcastle, the Shell garage at the airport 2 miles off the A1 has LPG, or did when I was last there summer 2016 (y)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
WTF is going on in UK!

It therefore looks like LPG for Motorhomers in the UK is like Rocking Horse shit!

Yep, the whole of the UK is in crisis because someone at a supermarket garage told you you couldn't buy LPG from them and a nearby garage didn't have any.

I'm staying indoors until the Government sorts this nightmare out. Oh, hang on a minute, I don't have gas in my van, thank goodness for diesel cooking & heating.:)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If Gaslow types of systems were not allowed to be DIY fitted then possibly these garages would be more inclined to allow filling. We see so many threads on here about failures and leaks on self fitted gaslow types of system but not for professionally fitted and tested tank installations.

Personally I think they should have to be tested yearly and a gas safety certificate issued. This gas safety certificate should be shown before garages turn the pump on.

We dont allow home gas systems to be DIY fitted and they dont store liquid gas under pressure so why allow vehicles which the gas system is subject to vibration and flexing in a vehicle to be fitted by anyone?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
3 out of the 4 garages near us had run out of LPG on our return from Spain so I was concerned until I read that the shortages were temporary. There were quite a few other people on here who were worried
Ok, thanks all for your constructive comments. Im near Otterburn at present and am heading North to Scotland, so will try in Glasgow. I won't post anymore on this, so thanks again for the helpful comments, they were much apprecieted!
so I don't understand some of the sarcastic comments towards the OP. Most people on here are really lovely and helpful so please don't let this put you off.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If Gaslow types of systems were not allowed to be DIY fitted then possibly these garages would be more inclined to allow filling. We see so many threads on here about failures and leaks on self fitted gaslow types of system but not for professionally fitted and tested tank installations.

Personally I think they should have to be tested yearly and a gas safety certificate issued. This gas safety certificate should be shown before garages turn the pump on.

We dont allow home gas systems to be DIY fitted and they dont store liquid gas under pressure so why allow vehicles which the gas system is subject to vibration and flexing in a vehicle to be fitted by anyone?
Please explain who the professional fitters are and what qualifications you think they have to issue certifications ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

I fitted my own never had a problems havent seen many threads on self fitted gaslow or any other refiling system com to think of it can you put up the links to the threads would like to she what problems theiy have had
Bill

Deleted User
Ok, thanks all for your constructive comments. Im near Otterburn at present and am heading North to Scotland, so will try in Glasgow. I won't post anymore on this, so thanks again for the helpful comments, they were much apprecieted!
Have you tried Low Row service station on the A69, just a bit east of Brampton or there is Dixons of Westerhope.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I filled up in Perth three weeks ago, on the London Road up the road from Tesco. Scottish LPG comes from Grangemouth I believe and I’m not aware of any shortage. I got a replacement Calor bottle from Kinross around the same time.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I fitted my own never had a problems havent seen many threads on self fitted gaslow or any other refiling system com to think of it can you put up the links to the threads would like to she what problems theiy have had
Bill
My last motorhome was supplied by dealer with a shiny new habitation and gas check. Along with a tiny lpg leak caused by a cross-threaded pipe connection.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We see so many threads on here about failures and leaks on self fitted gaslow types of system but not for professionally fitted and tested tank installations.
Most of the threads relating to leaks I have seen have been due to defective cylinders rather than poor DIY fitting.
I had two Gaslow cylinders replaced under warranty due to leaking around the connector. My system was professionally fitted and always had an annual habitation service which included a Gas Safe inspection.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My last motorhome was supplied by dealer with a shiny new habitation and gas check. Along with a tiny lpg leak caused by a cross-threaded pipe connection.
Yes think you did mention it soumwhare still waiting on the links to all the self fitted systems o thers a few threads apparently I can't find them ?
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back