LPG Nightmare

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bulleteer, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Bulleteer

Bulleteer Funster

Ratings:
    +33
    spent two months last year in Europe and got LPG almost anywhere for my GasLow system. Left Harrogate today heading for Northumberland and decided to try and find LPG. My LPG app shows lots of Morrison’s with LPG, so stopped at one in Killingworh, Newcastle. A jobsworth came running out of the office shouting....you can’t fill that up in this station. When I asked why, he sad that only LPG powered vehicles could be filled and that camper vans couldn’t. Said it was Elf & Safet rules. I contacted Morrison’s and their reply is below:

Hi Mark - we do not allow for this. Please see our LPG policy below:
    Morrisons will not permit filling of any portable gas vessel in any of our LPG stations, some manufacturers state that they have an approved LPG filling tank but unlike vehicles that make use of LPG they have an annual MOT to assess safety, Morrison's will not take any risk with allowing customers to use portable gas vessels or fill motorhomes , our stance is the position of least risk. If customers present a safety certificate to show that their motorhome/gas vessel is fit to fill i.e (tested regularly) then we would still not allow this, reason being is because our staff cannot be expected to be experts in and inspect portable vessels and recognise their technical qualifications. - Raj

I then managed to find a Shell station n Byker so off we set, only to find out their LPG was empty. WTF is going on in UK!

It therefore looks like LPG for Motorhomers in the UK is like Rocking Horse shit!

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +5,012
    What a load of old cobblers new cars don’t have MOTs till three years old so that argument is out of the window and as I have often been informed the MOT is only as good as the day it’s done.
    Morrison’s have a downer on motorhomes still their loss

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,599
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +15,101
    I think its the inconsistency that is hard to understand...
    If its company policy then its not applied evenly... i fill up at morrisons in jarrow... last time about 6 weeks back so unless its changed recently its not every Morrisons.
    Andy.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  5. scotjimland

Ratings:
    +35,599
    https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/

Notice on pump:
    The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with Automotive LPG tanks, For safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable cylinders, or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans or motor homes.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    We filled up before we went on holiday in February at Morrisons, no problem at all 55p pl.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +8,297
    • Like it Like it x 2
  8. two

two Funster

Ratings:
    +2,811
    • Like it Like it x 1
  9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Ratings:
    +5,330
    Filled my tank this afternoon at our local Calor depot and paid 49p per litre for it as domestic fuel, no problem.

D.

• Like it Like it x 5
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +23,734
    We normally have absolutely no problems filling up at our local morrisons. Since our van is not solely used by mum and I we have a rule that it returns filled of fuel and gas., Drove up to our local morrisons yesterday to hear that theres a backlog of LPG supplies, none on the line for arrival...Just as well we don't need ay.

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,478
    We have been filling our Gaslow tanks at Morrisons in Ipswich for the last 6 years.
    After this topic was brought up on here a couple of years ago I made a point of asking the staff if there was any instructions from their HO that Motorhomes could not be filled.
    At that time they said they had not had such instructions and that they did a lot of business with Motorhomes that they would not want to lose.
    Filled there just last Thursday without problems and a local dealer was filling a van at the same time.
    I think there may be some confused ‘jobs worths’ in some of their fuel stations.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Wh05apk

Wh05apk Funster

Ratings:
    +188
    We use morrisons in Ipswich and grays, the Ipswich one is just around the corner from marquis who fill up there. Never had a problem with either so probably someone enforcing the rules rigorously

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Bulleteer

Bulleteer Funster

Ratings:
    +33
    This was a response from Morrison’s FB page, a bit different to the Messenger reply from Raj;

Hi Mark, thanks for the post. The colleague was correct. It is our advice that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be refilled at autogas refuelling sites. Vessels which are attached to a vehicle for heating or cooking (on camper vans or similar) present similar risks on filling to those for propulsion purposes and may be permitted to be re-filled at autogas refuelling sites provided they:
    • remain in-situ for refilling; and
    • are fitted with a device to physically prevent filling beyond 80%; and
    • are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the vessel. I hope this helps. - Justine

I responded to her to say that my Motorhome complied with her three points above and she then moved the goalpost again with this response;

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. As long as it has the Auto LPG tank and meets those requirements then it should be fine. - Justine

Clear as Mud.....what’s an Auto LPG tank?

14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,419
    I had someone come running over to me at a Morrison’s trying to tell me I could not fill our RV with lpg. Our 80 litre lpg tank ran the cooking heating and generator. I told them it was a Diesel engine powered by lpg and they said it was ok then.
    They haven’t a clue even when they have guidelines.

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    When this was brought up on another thread I wrote to UKLPG, the trade association of the UK LPG industry and this is the answer I got:

“Please note that the correspondence you have shown me is relating to portable (non-fixed) LPG cylinders that consumers sometimes put in the boot of their vehicle and take out to fill on a forecourt using adaptors. This is where the concern is.

Cylinders with a relief valve that are permanently fixed within a motor home
    (normally in a gas locker) with a remote purpose built fill connection can be safely refuelled on forecourts, and as far as I am aware the oil companies have not banned this activity.

UKLPG is a trade association and we cannot ban any practice. However, we offer guidance to operators on what they need to do to comply with the law. “

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like it Like it x 1
  16. Bulleteer

Bulleteer Funster

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks Minky,

I think This is effectively what the Justine a Lady said to me in her response from Morrisons. I will print all correspondence and carry it with me. I will also ask her to inform Morrison’s fuel stations of what she has said Morrison’s policy is.

Thanks

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  17. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

Ratings:
    +845
    No worse than garages preventing motorcyclists filling their tanks unless they remove their helmets, elf n safety, you know.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +47,699
    I don't think that 2 missed LPG filling opportunities constitutes a nightmare, if it does you have a very easy life compared to many (y)

My recent findings are that the expensive prime locations that sell LPG never seem to run out, probably due to the price, but I use the motorway options regularly due to easier access (y)

If you are still near Newcastle, the Shell garage at the airport 2 miles off the A1 has LPG, or did when I was last there summer 2016 (y)

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. scotjimland

Ratings:
    +35,599
    that has nothing to do with H&S .. as you well know, it's a security measure..

• Like it Like it x 7
  20. Nasher

Nasher Funster

Ratings:
    +2,125
    Yep, the whole of the UK is in crisis because someone at a supermarket garage told you you couldn't buy LPG from them and a nearby garage didn't have any.

I'm staying indoors until the Government sorts this nightmare out. Oh, hang on a minute, I don't have gas in my van, thank goodness for diesel cooking & heating.:)

• Funny Funny x 5