LPG mystery.... and two items we'll always carry in future. (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Can you point me to the info about that as it would be interesting to read about it.

We have one of these stoves but the smaller one (originally sold by Asda) which packs up very small and you HAVE to remove the cylinder to do so, no danger of us leaving it in when packed away.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/burns-victim-to-do-skydive-103651/
this was one of the stories following the incident.
The article states that the cause was inconclusive but I was told by a CC committee member that the canister was thought to be the most likely cause.
As I had one leak in my garage at home, for no apparent reason, I decided not to use them in future.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As I understand the 'lunchbox' type Butane gas canister stoves were recalled and banned from sale in Australia

I had one but was aware of the risk.. using an oversize frying pan or pot can deflect heat downwards onto the gas canister, not a good idea. They should never be used indoors or in an awning ..

Used it for a couple of years without problem but have now confined it to the shed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/burns-victim-to-do-skydive-103651/
this was one of the stories following the incident.
The article states that the cause was inconclusive but I was told by a CC committee member that the canister was thought to be the most likely cause.
As I had one leak in my garage at home, for no apparent reason, I decided not to use them in future.
Interesting, awful for those involved, but I suspect it wasn't taken out of the cooker after use/turned round within the appliance to take the pressure of the valve and then just placed in the underbed storage/garage (ie not safely stored in the gas locker).

People tend to forget that they are still gas canisters and should be treated with respect, just as you should with a Calor etc type cylinder - I wouldn't sleep with a Calor cylinder in the open space under my bed but people will happily do so with this, often stored on their sides. I always remove the cylinders and them upright in the gas locker which is meant to protect us from gas escapes due to the presence of drop vents etc. Even our little blow torch (for crisping up pizza tops etc) lives in the gas locker as does the gas refill aerosol, the only gas equipment that doesn't is the gas igniter for the hob (no piezo).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As I understand the 'lunchbox' type Butane gas canister stoves were recalled and banned from sale in Australia

I had one but was aware of the risk.. using an oversize frying pan or pot can deflect heat downwards onto the gas canister, not a good idea. They should never be used indoors or in an awning ..

Used it for a couple of years without problem but have now confined it to the shed
Sensible use, and storage IMV is the key to safely using these, just as it would be with any other gas appliance/kit, unfortunately due to the wide availability of these types of stoves people who hadn't a clue about how to use them safely got hold of and misused them, that doesn't make the product inherently unsafe so I'll quite happily use ours sensibly.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sensible use, and storage IMV is the key to safely using these, just as it would be with any other gas appliance/kit, unfortunately due to the wide availability of these types of stoves people who hadn't a clue about how to use them safely got hold of and misused them, that doesn't make the product inherently unsafe so I'll quite happily use ours sensibly.

they were recalled due to an inherent fault .. not misuse or users not 'having a clue'

This may not affect all models but that aside, IMV , even when used as instructed and by people 'with a clue' I still think they are potentially hazardous.

the faulty stove model number was PL-222. IAPMO with the certification number GMK10262.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
they were recalled due to an inherent fault .. not misuse or users not 'having a clue'

This may not affect all models but that aside, IMV , even when used as instructed and by people 'with a clue' I still think they are potentially hazardous.

the faulty stove model number was PL-222. IAPMO with the certification number GMK10262.

Anything involving gas is potentially hazardous yet how many people carry a gas cigarette lighter in their pockets and don't worry about it.

Out of interest what was the fault on it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anything involving gas is potentially hazardous yet how many people carry a gas cigarette lighter in their pockets and don't worry about it.

Out of interest what was the fault on it?

yes and boxes of matches is also dangerous.. but a citing a second or third hazard doesn't negate the first one.. but as it happens, butane lighters a have also been known to explode and injure people, as have books and boxes of matches.

plenty of info if you Google .. "lunchbox stove recall"

The Sea Scouts where I was a leader used these stoves, but have since got rid of them for a better quality stove that uses Calor or Gaz bottles

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@scotjimland I've just read one of the pieces of info about the recall of the faulty units and it appears to have been due to it leaking gas in use, so a quality control/manufacturing issue with those particular models, but this doesn't make ALL of these types of units 'bad' ... so long as they are used sensibly:

These are the safety suggestions they give which should be observed by ALL users of these types of stoves:

Consumer who have been using these successfully for many years may be reluctant to stop using them. If you choose to ignore the ACCC recall and warnings, at least be on the lookout for any unusual functioning of the unit, including abnormal heat build-up in the base.

You should also avoid using the unit in any way that will trap heat. So, do not use oversized pans or large grill plates. The pot or pan should not overhang the butane cartridge area.

Never use any aluminium foil on or around the burners or on any part of the unit. Try to always allow for adequate air flow over the top and sides of the unit. Never use the unit with heat beads.

Use on very hot days should also be avoided. Do not place the unit on any hot surface, like a metal table, ute tailgate or asphalt in the sun. Avoid direct exposure to the sun.

You should stop using the unit immediately if you notice anything out of the ordinary. Also, you may wish to buy the CRV style cartridges for a bit more safety protection.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Totally off topic to the op but I have 2 of these portable stoves and I've used them for years without issue.
They are fantastic and I still use them if I'm cooking outside.
If stored properly they shouldn't leak mine certainly haven't and I've had half full bottles of gas in them for months on end and not leaked , also use a wok and a hotplate attachment with them.

That said I'd be reluctant to use one indoors.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Val had one burst into flames while doing an al fresco breakfast for her and her sister. She tried to smother the flames with a travel rug, then used the small extinguisher we have in the van. It only stopped burning once it had run out of gas. Luckily they had it on a table beside the van and managed to knock it away from the van onto the grass section of the pitch.
2011-08-12 17.56.52-1.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Old thread I know, we carry one of those stoves and the BBQ version, both in the garage and spare gas canisters in the gas locker. Only use them outside.
Also carry a bottle top regulator & connection hose in case of bulkhead regulator failure.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Lighting the oven to warm the place surely that's really dangerous.
Dunno if its dangerous or not, but we did it for three years in our old Miller.. The CO alarm never went off once ( Miller only had blown air heating which after three days would flatten all three hab batteries )

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jees this is an old thread but just out of curiosity i checked the one i have in my garage ....the last time i used it was parked at the foot of jesus in totana Spain end of march 2018....having a bbq with a couple i met there the day before i collected jade from the shelter.

Not used it since and having just checked the bottle thats fitted in the stove is still half full 😁
That's pretty good going for 2.5 years and approximately 20k miles travelled

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As a Fire officer for 30 years and a motorhomer since 1994,,,my advise would be "Avoid Scotland, lots a nasty little things that bite you, and midges too" :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Good stuff .....ill give you that tenner later 😉😉

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
First trip to Spain in a motor home in the winter of 2014.
Found a cracking beachside spot near 'Carolina' near Aguilas.
Got back from a big shop at Mercadona to find that we had run out of gas. Pre Gaslow, I changed the bottle and,,, nothing!
Swore at it, took it to the garage and gave the jet of the fridge a blast of air, nothing.
A freezer full of food and no lekky, we reluctantly left the beach and booked into the ACSI campsite over the weekend intending to drive to a dealer on the Monday.
Got settled in, €51 poorer, we went for a walk into town.
Returning several hours later, we tried the gas and it all worked!!!
Expletives muttered??? we learned a lesson.
and breath.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
What did you need fridge for, if eating out. surely cold enough for milk and beer outside.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Some pig tails have over pressure valves, As the gas rushes out, it activates the valve, and shuts off. It recovers over time with slow leak until pressure evens out on both sides of the valve, and opens. The trick is to make sure the appliance end is off, so no gas comes through the line. Then open the gas very slow so it does not push the valve with sudden rush. It’s happened to my house several times when I forget to turn the tap slowly on. To fix it, close the bottle, undo the hose from the bottle to vent the hose. Fit the hose back on, then open slowly. If you have a tap after the regulator it helps. If not at least the manifold taps to appliances all off, until the feed line pressurises from regulator to manifold.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I have fitted an inexpensive 5KW Chinese Diesel Heater in My Dethleffs Globebus.
If I have problems with the LPG system I have another option to heat the van using 12V power to run the fan & diesel as the fuel.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We bought one the little stoves from a camping shop in France when we had problems with the gas on our first van.
We set off with two full 3.9 kg bottles thinking this would be enough for two weeks. At the end of week one we thought it odd the gas seemed to have run out. The second bottle was no help because that ran out after one day. At this point we knew we had problems.
As a matter of keeping us going until we got home we bought the stove. Being summer we used it outside mostly for cups of tea and pot washing.
When we got home the gas problem was resolved by the dealer we bought the van from.
We have kept the stove in the locker for emergencies but having read the posts about this we will be bit more careful using it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back