LPG - Gaslow - Regulations? (1 Viewer)

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
Hi All,
I've had the Rapido just over a year and have made 2 trips to France so far with many more to come, I hope. I was thinking that a refillable gas system would be a good investment so started to research an underbody tank to keep it simple.

I used the tunnel for the Easter trip so checked up on the LPG requirements. Bottles OK, even refillable ones - just turn off the valves on the top of the bottle(s). BUT had I fitted a tank underneath then it's a no go! Phew! glad I didn't get it fitted before going.

OK, so now the only option is a bottle refill system and the Gaslow looks to be the only one on the market - Off I toddled to the local Gaslow dealer for a quote. "No problems sir, did one only last week, I'll just make a few adjustments to that quote!"

Err, would you mind taking a look at my vehicle 1st, just to check no prroblems, please, it's right outside.

Looked, briefly, and announced all OK. Back in the office the 'service' engineer walked into the shop so got button holed to take a look, just to please me.

Ooooo! carn't do that I'm afraid! (the more usual response from a plumber I think). How old is the vehicle?

2001!

Thought so, new regulations introduced since then. You have a 37mB system with 8mm tubes - new regs require 30mB system with 10mm tubes! I would have to change your whole system over to the new regs. Costafortune.

"So, I cannot use a Gaslow system then?"

"Nope, they only work on 30mB systems."

"OK, scratch that idea - can you do a full habitation check for me, please?"

"I can, but I'll have to change over your complete gas system. If I look at it and find it is not to current regs I have to make it comply."

I only purchased this vehicle last year - was I taken for a ride or are these dealers trying to take me for a ride or....

Many thanks for any responses on this one.

Have a safe journey

Wurdsmiff

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The "Service Engineer" who told you that your entire gas system doesn't comply and will need changing is talking out of his bumhole. Also there is absolutely no problem with using a refillable cylinder, be it from Gaslow or any other manufacturer, with your current 37Mbar/8mm pipework setup. The ore of the pipework is actually determined by the supply requirements (how much gas you're trying to drag through it to the various appliances) and the length of pipe/number of bends in the system it is NOT deterimned by the pressure you are running at.

I would give that dealer a very wide erth as they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

D.

P.S. motorcaravans are exempt from the gas regs anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used the tunnel for the Easter trip so checked up on the LPG requirements. Bottles OK, even refillable ones - just turn off the valves on the top of the bottle(s). BUT had I fitted a tank underneath then it's a no go! Phew! glad I didn't get it fitted before going.

OK, so now the only option is a bottle refill system

Hi

Fixed tanks for domestic LPG are allowed on the tunnel.. so you may want to reconsider your options..

LPG and gas transport

Transport of gas containers to power domestic services* for caravans, campervans, vehicles fitted out as a campervan are restricted as outline below:

- If your vehicle is fitted with a “mobile” gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 liters) for a single container and is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 liters) in the case of several containers.

- If your vehicle is fitted with a “fixed” gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 liters) for a single container and the maximum filling rate is 80% (or approximately 73 liters).
In the case of several fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 liters) on the whole with a maximum filling rate of 80% per container (or approximately 79 liters).

- If your vehicle is fitted with a combination of mobile and fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg and rules previously described applies.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back