LPG gas stations – are they closing down. Really? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've just booked to have an LPG underfloor gas tank fitted. Is it difficult to find gas stations, here and abroad? I'm starting to get concerned about reasonably easy to access supply. I've looked at a couple of websites that list suppliers, but that doesn't mean that they are still open.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I've just booked to have an LPG underfloor gas tank fitted. Is it difficult to find gas stations, here and abroad? I'm starting to get concerned about reasonably easy to access supply.
they did shut loads of places in the 70,s . was loads places in the 60,s early 70,s but by the 80,s it got difficult to find places . might be going that way again.
flogas at the end of my road have removed their lpg filling point. but cornwall services still have one . others in cornwall have removed theirs its definately getting harder.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Appears to be more around our way than there used to be and loads of new pumps in Spain over the last few years. Plenty in France, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Germany, Holland Belgium & Austria.
Only country I've found then in short supply is Ireland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I shouldn't worry too much, there will always be outlets, the beauty of an underfloor tank or refillables is that you can put a quid in or fill it completely every time you pass one on your travels, someone was on the other day on here saying that it is 4 miles to the nearest one, I dropped my cup of tea as I was reading it, good lord, 4 miles:D2.

You will always find somewhere to fill up as you use the van.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes I was getting anxious also, as the only LPG place nearish to me is just off The M3 at Fleet and its a full price Shell Garage. When I think about it, all my refills have been en route in Shell Garages while in The UK. To be honest I always get excited when I see the Autogas sign outside a garage and I make a point of stopping and refilling regardless of price, nearly got caught out last time though as on the pump it stated minimum LPG charge of £5, and for some reason it stopped pumping when the tank was just over half full. I think it must have been my fault though as I took my hand off the button for a moment.
Its still makes me smile each time I fill up when thinking of the money saved over getting Calor Cylinder refills, that we used in our last caravan :xsmile: Last one was £22.30 for 6KG, and the Calorlite ones were even dearer then.:eek:
My mission is to find a Morrisons with LPG as all the ones down south arround us dont have it.
Les

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I shouldn't worry too much, there will always be outlets, the beauty of an underfloor tank or refillables is that you can put a quid in or fill it completely every time you pass one on your travels, someone was on the other day on here saying that it is 4 miles to the nearest one, I dropped my cup of tea as I was reading it, good lord, 4 miles:D2.

You will always find somewhere to fill up as you use the van.

I personally can’t be doing with messing around searching for lpg as we have found it to be a right pain sometimes, we are geared up to use refillable and Calor so we don’t have any problems.
These are another option and we have this too for our 19kg Calor.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Yes I was getting anxious also, as the only LPG place nearish to me is just off The M3 at Fleet and its a full price Shell Garage. When I think about it, all my refills have been en route in Shell Garages while in The UK. To be honest I always get excited when I see the Autogas sign outside a garage and I make a point of stopping and refilling regardless of price, nearly got caught out last time though as on the pump it stated minimum LPG charge of £5, and for some reason it stopped pumping when the tank was just over half full. I think it must have been my fault though as I took my hand off the button for a moment.
Its still makes me smile each time I fill up when thinking of the money saved over getting Calor Cylinder refills, that we used in our last caravan :xsmile: Last one was £22.30 for 6KG, and the Calorlite ones were even dearer then.:eek:
My mission is to find a Morrisons with LPG as all the ones down south arround us dont have it.
Les
I spotted that on one of the maps, it'll be handy for me going east from here along the M3.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Never found a problem after 9 years of refillable’s, only ever fill up as I pass a filling station never had to make a special trip out of the way to look for one.
Only refused once that was at calor depot in Norwich.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Rule of thumb for me; if there is LPG where I'm getting diesel, fill up.
Don't think I've ever been more than half empty, except maybe for 10 days wild camping on the Outer Hebrides.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ours lasts for ages as we have diesel heating but never had a problem other than getting twitchy as the gauge says empty when its still 1/3 full

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Plenty on the A38 near Exeter and tragic mills Newton Abbot . Trago Mills

Reactions: f6c

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Plenty on the A38 near Exeter and tragic mills Newton Abbot . Trago Mills
But not much east of Plymouth since the Lee Mill gas depot closed its pump. I have to go over the bridge into Cornwall now! :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
BP are closing some of their LPG pumps , as reported in 2016

"We have decided to remove LPG from some of our stations. As a retailer we have to review the goods and services we provide at our sites on a regular basis to make sure they are competitive and financially cost effective. LPG sales have continued to decline over the long term as manufacturers have stopped supplying LPG cars and the number of LPG cars reduces over time. As such we are taking an approach of removing LPG on a site-by-site basis from our company-operated sites when it would no longer be financially viable to continue.

There are a further 900 BP branded forecourts in the UK are operated by third party operators (‘dealers’) who independently still have the option to include LPG pumps at their sites."

LPG was originally supplied at petrol stations for cars as a potential alternative to diesel and unleaded but has fallen out of favour as the government moved to provide incentives to promote the use of cleaner, emission-free electric cars.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The thing is in about 15 years there will be a thread on here saying''Are diesel filling pumps closing'' and you will get posts where someone says ''my nearest one is now 7 miles away''

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Any funsters travelling south/north A34 to Portsmouth ferry , shell garage at winnal roundabout by M3 , Winchester do lpg

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Unlike fuel for driving, filling up with LPG is not a weekly affair for most people. I have never had a problem with filling up, anywhere.
I have two 11kg bottles and it takes about 5 weeks before I need a top-up. Having two bottles, I know that when one is empty I still have another 5 weeks before I have to do something.
Why refillable? The convenience which is hard to measure. The price of the gas, which is far cheaper than bottled gas and when travelling outside of the UK, every country uses a different bottle, which is not compatible with any other country's bottle. No lifting heavy bottles in and out of the van and bashing the van as you do so.
If I had to drive 50 miles to refill my bottles, I would do so and still save money (I think)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I dont think i have ever filled up near to me. Always fill up on the way back from europe. Same with adblue and diesel

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've just found one listed in Glastonbury, 6 miles away. I filled up there when I had a Safefill, I'd forgotten it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The thing is in about 15 years there will be a thread on here saying''Are diesel filling pumps closing'' and you will get posts where someone says ''my nearest one is now 7 miles away''
My nearest one WAS 7 miles away!! LPG even further

Luckily where I live now the nearest LPG is about 1/2 mile from the van storage (ex countrywide LPG) and diesel a choice of three about a mile away

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Unlike fuel for driving, filling up with LPG is not a weekly affair for most people. I have never had a problem with filling up, anywhere.
I have two 11kg bottles and it takes about 5 weeks before I need a top-up. Having two bottles, I know that when one is empty I still have another 5 weeks before I have to do something.
Why refillable? The convenience which is hard to measure. The price of the gas, which is far cheaper than bottled gas and when travelling outside of the UK, every country uses a different bottle, which is not compatible with any other country's bottle. No lifting heavy bottles in and out of the van and bashing the van as you do so.
If I had to drive 50 miles to refill my bottles, I would do so and still save money (I think)
Regardless of any pecuniary advantage they're worth having so you never have to lift the damn things out ever again. I don't really understand the issue with filling them: I have an LPG station very close to the M6 junction I use to go South and it's as convenient when travelling East - it's around 7 to 10 miles from home. Heading North there's the local Calor gas depot as I leave the town (usually cheapest). I don't go West. I don't travel from home just to fill up with Diesel so why would I do that for LPG? I simply keep a mental note of where each convenient fill-up place is for whichever direction I'm headed. As with Diesel I either fill up on the way to my destination (sometimes several times:xsmile:) and do the same on the return journey. I've never stopped to consider how near or how far from home the nearest LPG or Diesel station is. I too have two 11Kg 'bottles' and they last about the same as yours.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
15 years ago LPG was available on pumps at all 3 of the filling stations in our town. None of them do it anymore.

Not a big problem if you are using it for heating and cooking and can hang on till you find somewhere else to top up - but it's a downright nuisance when your car runs on it.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Flogas are presently expanding their network, and putting LPG pumps at locations, including garages, where there is not the garage's own. You also have the advantage of having an account with them, and as your usage is solely for domestic heating and cooking, only pay 5% vat and no road fuel duty, making even more competitive against bottled gas.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I did notice a big issue, BP took over many stations that sold LPG, and shortly afterwards stopped selling LPG! My car runs on LPG, so to say I was most displeased was an understatement. However, use the filllpg.co.uk website, and you will soon find a retailer close by. Turns out that there is an Asda right near to where I work is selling LPG at 52p per litre, I was paying 80p at the Shell station that changed to BP and then discontinued LPG! :D

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Such a pity LPG never really caught on, its cheap, very clean (think about forktrucks running in factories) and the latest conversion kits for petrol cars are so reliable. I had cars converted back in the seventies when the conversion kits were a joke. I think a lot of users dont like filling at the pump especially the ladies what with the gas escaping and the need to wear gloves if you do it correctly. We have a lot of taxis running on LPG close to me. john

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back