Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Most of the time we fill with LPG at BP Okehampton never had a problem, stopped there really early one morning recently, used the usual procedure, nothing going in, tried again nothing, very helpful attendant comes out & say's no one has had gas this morning, the tanks are a long way off so could take up to 3 minuets to get to the pump a little quicker if its a warm morning, So tried again & waited what seemed an age, then success. for all that new this sorry for boring you, for those who I read on here who could not fill this might be helpful(y)

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We've had a few lpg pumps like that and some that even when the gas arrives are painfully slow ... makes my arm ache holding the button and if you let go have to start all over.:rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Have to say we have often wondered how long you must need to stand there pressing the button when filling the tanks for a car or an RV.! :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Have to say we have often wondered how long you must need to stand there pressing the button when filling the tanks for a car or an RV.! :eek:

I just pass the time thinking about how much cheaper filling is over the price of Calor ............. then my thoughts turn, will I ever get cost of installing my Gasit system back. :LOL:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It would sometimes take me 20 minutes to fill the LPG tank for the engine on the RV. Wasn’t much fun if it was raining.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We've had a few lpg pumps like that and some that even when the gas arrives are painfully slow ... makes my arm ache holding the button and if you let go have to start all over.:rolleyes:
Haha I asked Mrs to stand there & take over the button duty's in case my thumb gave up, as I'd forgot to clip the filler nozzle & didn't want to start over.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, I've experienced that, too.
(Makes a change - I thought the topic might be about not being permitted to fill)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Haha I asked Mrs to stand there & take over the button duty's in case my thumb gave up, as I'd forgot to clip the filler nozzle & didn't want to start over.

Some people need to learn that pressing harder not not improve the fill-rate!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Some people need to learn that pressing harder not not improve the fill-rate!

Is that the same as the foot brake not working on the passenger side. :whistle: Now to head of the smart Alec who says "unless it's a dual control learner car"

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Same thing as leaning forward when you over take in an under powered car :whistle:

Giorgio Balatoni

Free Member
May 24, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi all I need help, I left uk 4weeks ago having a gasit x2 11kg fitted so that I could refill instead of swap over. I'm now getting low and went into a filling station in Arezzo (Italy) and he said they will only give LPG for engine and not for kitchen. So before I try anywhere else, could you tell me is this common in Italy or was I just unlucky.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Seem to remember reading on here that someone else had the same problem.
I think they just went on to another fuel station and filled without any trouble.

Richard.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

My car with a 90l tank (so about 70l fill) - about 3 minutes at most. A pump *should* give 15-20 litres per minute. If the nozzle has not quite been connected properly it is possible (I'm told - not seen it myself) to fill painfully slowly.

I'm quite often the first person of the day to fill at my usual place, sometimes it takes 20 seconds or so for the gas to start coming through, usually just at the point where I'm starting to doubt if I've put the gas nozzle on correctly in my "early morning, on autopilot on the way to work, not had a cup of tea yet" state!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi all I need help, I left uk 4weeks ago having a gasit x2 11kg fitted so that I could refill instead of swap over. I'm now getting low and went into a filling station in Arezzo (Italy) and he said they will only give LPG for engine and not for kitchen. So before I try anywhere else, could you tell me is this common in Italy or was I just unlucky.
It is illegal to fill hab tanks in Italy but most garages still do it. Just go to the next garage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had a problem eairler in the year at the BP station where I normally fill up, took 40min, taxi driver behind be said it had been like it for over a week.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I just pass the time thinking about how much cheaper filling is over the price of Calor ............. then my thoughts turn, will I ever get cost of installing my Gasit system back. :LOL:
About 3 - 4 years for our Alugas ones for us. Already paid for themselves as we swapped them from the last van at 3 years old.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A place I used to work at had gas forklifts, but the refill pump was hand operated. It was a lever about 3 foot long that you worked back and forth, that was some workout.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The LPG could be to power your on board generator :whistle: :D2

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just unlucky. It happened once to us in Italy, on a motorway just outside of Milan and I was told it was the law. At the next one further south he just asked "engine" and I said "yes" because I do have an engine (although not an LPG one!) so he filled it. And after that the further south I went the less problems I had.

So the moral of this story is to head south and lie.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just unlucky. It happened once to us in Italy, on a motorway just outside of Milan and I was told it was the law. At the next one further south he just asked "engine" and I said "yes" because I do have an engine (although not an LPG one!) so he filled it. And after that the further south I went the less problems I had.

So the moral of this story is to head south and lie.

We always try to avoid the motorway stations, they're the only places we've been refused, and not just Italy. Obviously they can afford the loss of a sale, legal or not.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I pulled into our local Shell to fill with LPG and the not in use tag was on the pump.
Bugger though I and started to look for another place to fill.
Then out strolls the manager saying I don't know why thats on there and couples up and filled for me (my filler is inside the gas locker) no issues.

Thanks says I (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A place I used to work at had gas forklifts, but the refill pump was hand operated. It was a lever about 3 foot long that you worked back and forth, that was some workout.
We started gliding at a place that used the same to fill the tank for a big american pick-up that was used to tow the gliders up that was some tank!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back