LPG Filling Restriction for Gaslow Bottles (2 Viewers)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Interesting conversations, I have been thinking about fitting Gaslow to the van. I will be touring Europe next year proberly two three weeks at a time as I'm not retired like some of you lucky lucky people. I spend most of my time in the UK should I stick with calor gas bottles or change to fitted Gaslow system, I appreciate its cheaper eventually but is it going to become a problem, are there other company's that do a fitted system.
In the Summer time you are probably unlikely to use much gas. Bit of cooking and hot water. Depends on how big and how many Calor bottles you take but it would be a fair bet that you will easily survive 2 x 13Kg. If however you run out completely, you will have to get a different bottle for each country you visit and that is where the Gaslow comes into its own. A duel system cost in the region £450 - 600 depends on manufacturer of bottle. Just search the forum for Gas it or Gaslow and there is a plethora of threads. If you stay in the UK and only visit Europe for a few weeks in the summer, IMH and Novice Opinion, stick with Calor as there are an awful lot of £25:00s in £600. Again as long as you can hump and shift these bottles around.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
IMH and Novice Opinion, stick with Calor as there are an awful lot of £25:00s in £600. Again as long as you can hump and shift these bottles around.

Roughly 24 IMO.. :D ... And I've used at least five (maybe six) since April 13th 2015... (y)

The van came with two 6kg bottles... but is designed for two Euro 11kg bottles.. Not sure if I'd get two UK 13kg's in locker... Maybe a 13kg and 6kg at a push...

So over a five year period.. (for moi) it would be about "Even Stevens"... if consumption/prices remain similar....

We are hoping to keep the MoHo for twice that period.. So if I'm going to do it... I need to do it sooner rather than later ;)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you can get past the initial price ..................

Refillable systems are CONVENIENT (y)CONVENIENT (y)(y) CONVENIENT (y)(y)(y)

Err, and did I mention they are convenient? ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
My Burstner is designed to take two 11kg bottles but the dealer fitted two 13kg bottles fairly easily. However they are a right b*gger to move about. Around the 30kg each mark. When I've finished these bottles I will seriously consider putting in a refillable system. Probably a single 11kg Alugas and a backup Calorlite (which I have). It makes my back twinge just thinking of putting in a new 13kg bottle.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I don't want to get in to a 'handbag fight' but that was your perception. The liquid can only remain in that state under high pressure. Upon release to the (considerably) lower atmospheric pressure it will revert to the gaseous state almost instantaneously.

The puddle you saw on the ground was as likely ice or water as a result of the rapid expansion.

This is totally incorrect
I had an incident filling an LPG Range Rover
When the vehicle was full I removed the nozzle, and to my horror gas started to flow out of the filler at an alarming rate, the one way valve had failed/frozen
Liquid pooled on the floor and went down the water drain, clouds of white gas came off the puddles.

So, yes it gasses, yes it pools and yes it will flow down a drain as a liquid

Petrol station went into full emergency procedures, evacuated and we watched the clouds from across the road

Fire engines arrived, nice fire chief laughed and just waited till the clouds subsided

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
It will FLOOD until it evaporates to gas ..........

....I had a scarry situation once in France when a non-return valve got wedged open and on removing the fill nozzle liquid gas spilled out, causing a puddle on the ground which took a few seconds to clear.
Correct

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Really? I am done with all the handbags, believe what you wish .... I'm outta here :p

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It will FLOOD until it evaporates to gas ..........

....I had a scarry situation once in France when a non-return valve got wedged open and on removing the fill nozzle liquid gas spilled out, causing a puddle on the ground which took a few seconds to clear.
Just imagine how much longer it would have taken the same pool of petrol to evaporate and disappear .................................:whistle:
Why does everyone worry more about LPG than petrol?

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Does anybody else have the safefill bottles? the clear ones with the red tops? We have had them 7 months now and fill them regularly up and down UK.Its quite clear we are opening a locker and filling bottles,we have never been refused.Yes,even filled at Morrisons.They were a cheaper initial purchase and we are very happy with them.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have the gaslow equivalent, filler on the bottle
same , never had any hassle
much a do about nothing:rolleyes:

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Dont think the pumps close off if a leak is present, on first fill of self fit alugas bottles, partial fill and didnt need soap to find leaks. Spanners held in readiness to tighten problems.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I was all set, in the next few weeks, to get an 11kg Alugas fitted, or do it myself, but now, having read some posts, feel really doubtful about refillable systems having a future.
I don't want to go down that route and end up having problems filling up.
My nearest fill point would have been Morrisons but they appear to be going down the road of banning filling.
I wonder who else is going stop allowing filling cylinders.
I've looked at getting Flo gas cylinders, as they are a lot cheaper than Calor, but not as cheap as filling with Autogas. I haven't checked locally (Hull) where I might get filled should I get the Alugas.
Are others having doubts about refillables?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No doubts for me I think the refusals are not that often and since the bottles don't need filling very often there should be no problem with a twin bottle system. Provided you always start looking to refill when one bottle shows empty you have a week, perhaps two to find a refill point you should never run out of gas.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I was all set, in the next few weeks, to get an 11kg Alugas fitted, or do it myself, but now, having read some posts, feel really doubtful about refillable systems having a future.
My nearest fill point would have been Morrisons but they appear to be going down the road of banning filling.
I've looked at getting Flo gas cylinders, as they are a lot cheaper than Calor, but not as cheap as filling with Autogas. I haven't checked locally (Hull) where I might get filled should I get the Alugas.
Chillax, Don't panic, keep calm and carry on!
The nice man at the shell garage on the A12 near Ipswitch helped me fill my calor bottle, I kid you not(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Please don't let the odd post saying they had a bit of a problem put you off ... we've had them since 2009 and have filled/topped up 36 times since and only had a refusal happen ONCE last year when abroad (probably due to being on a main road at a 'major' fuel station where they were a bit 'twitchy'! Remember you won't hear from the thousands of people who haven't had any issues at all, usually only the odd ones that have.

If you want to have a look at my system you are more than welcome to come round for a shuftie, coffee and chat (I might even be able to find some biscuits!) as I'm only in Cottingham, I'll send you my phone number (keep your eye on your 'Inbox' on the top right of the screen for my message).

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Happy to recommend Alugas, fitted system myself, filler mounted inside locker on homemade bracket, have,nt had any problem with filling, home or abroad.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Is it only Gaslow that do the small Camping Gaz size bottles? Our next van only takes that size.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We had gaslow fitted a couple of months ago.We have only filled the once,but did
in the shell garage just off the A1 at Newark with no problems at all.
And will need to top up before the end of the month before our tour of France.
Like Minxy girl says,dont be put of by the odd negative post.There are alot of happy
refillable users on here you dont here from.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back