LPG Filling Restriction for Gaslow Bottles (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Well I must admit... I did get a price from Autogas some time ago... With a view to fitting asap to make it viable..

However, I am still sat on the fence ... Mainly because of percieved filling / future supply chatter....

Also I'm having difficulty seeing where they could fit an external fill point easily... As I wouldn't want it inside the locker... Or in the door... And the skirt is non existent on the Knaus A...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well I must admit... I did get a price from Autogas some time ago... With a view to fitting asap to make it viable..

However, I am still sat on the fence ... Mainly because of percieved filling / future supply chatter....

Also I'm having difficulty seeing where they could fit an external fill point easily... As I wouldn't want it inside the locker... Or in the door... And the skirt is non existent on the Knaus A...
It coudl easily go in the body itself, either between the existing gas locker and the front wheel, or between the gas locker and the hab door.

KTGK-skyi_langlebig_11.jpg
KTGK-skyi_praktisch_11.jpg

Reactions: f6c

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It coudl easily go in the body itself, either between the existing gas locker and the front wheel, or between the gas locker and the hab door.

View attachment 95300 View attachment 95301

Hey up @Minxy Girl I've looked at those two options...

Tween Locker and hab - there is a "hidden" storage compartment - accessible from lower step area - just inside hab door.... This area forms part of the hab area.. Insofar as it sits in double floor and is heated/vented as part of hab area...

The other side - tween locker and wheel... Is probs "doable"..
There is - what looks like a sealed area .. Viewed via a small "clear viewing window" inside locker... But I rockon it would mean raving lots of interior stuff trimm etc out to get to it...

Hence my comment "easily fit".. Like some are lucky enough to be able to do in skirts etc
:)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first location would be fairly easy IMV - you can see that there's nothing in the way which is a bonus so no guessing if you're gonna hit anything! If you drill the hole for the filler from the outside, then a smaller hole through the side interior panel (below the heating pipe) to get it into the gas locker, join the pipes up and attach the filler, test it then seal the hole to the gas locker ... job done! It wouldn't take more than an hour if that.

Another option is to change the filler for one of the 'new design' smaller ones like this that are easier to fit - the black 'plastic' part is what would be on show (could be sprayed white) and on these the bayonet that you attach the pump filler to is removable - you might be able to find a place in your skirt for this as it's a much smaller diameter, or even in the edge of your gas locker interior which I assume is wider than the door opening:

straight fill: Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

angled fill: Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The first location would be fairly easy IMV - you can see that there's nothing in the way which is a bonus so no guessing if you're gonna hit anything! If you drill the hole for the filler from the outside, then a smaller hole through the side interior panel (below the heating pipe) to get it into the gas locker, join the pipes up and attach the filler, test it then seal the hole to the gas locker ... job done! It wouldn't take more than an hour if that.

Another option is to change the filler for one of the 'new design' smaller ones like this that are easier to fit - the black 'plastic' part is what would be on show (could be sprayed white) and on these the bayonet that you attach the pump filler to is removable - you might be able to find a place in your skirt for this as it's a much smaller diameter, or even in the edge of your gas locker interior which I assume is wider than the door opening:

straight fill: Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

angled fill: Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

The first option... Whilst easy... Would leave the filler and a short length of fill pipe "effectively" within the confines of the "hab area".. and from what i've managed to research... This would be highly undesirable.. Albeit still doable - if I chose to have it fitted there... Which I don't fancy doing really...

I've also looked at those small fillers - but I think i'd have to have a special custom made "spacer" to get a reasonable "horizontal" fit at the skirt..
This could be done - but the fill point is then very low.. Again IMO too low.. But if I was desperate... and had no other option... Doable.. :)

The locker has no spare room beyond the edges of the door .. well not enough to fit a fill point - even the small one!.. :(

I think my best (safest) option would be to "bite the bullet" and have a fill point fitted tween locker door and wheel...

What I really need to do is have a propper look and investigate what that actually entails regarding removal of any gubbings to access that sealed area...

Then I may be able to finally "get my ass off the fence!"... :)

PS... I do sound a tad "high maintenance" ... Don't I?? lol :) I just like to make sure I've thought stuff through rather than doing stuff in haste :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What I really need to do is have a propper look and investigate what that actually entails regarding removal of any gubbings to access that sealed area...

Then I may be able to finally "get my ass off the fence!"... :)

PS... I do sound a tad "high maintenance" ... Don't I?? lol :) I just like to make sure I've thought stuff through rather than doing stuff in haste :)
... don't leave it too long otherwise you'll end up with big splinters and then you'll be taking ages to decided how to get them removed!!! :LOL:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
... don't leave it too long otherwise you'll end up with big splinters and then you'll be taking ages to decided how to get them removed!!! :LOL:

Off the fence...

Removed a bit of "furniture".. Then floor panel (pic) to reveal an ideal filler entry point... Although - like the locker side - not gas tight i imagine!!! :/ (will have to think about that!! :/ )

Btw.. The "window" in gas locker is so you can see chassis number etc - stamped on inner wheel arch..

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I wouldn't worry about the place where the pipe passes through being gas-tight, so long as the pipes are connected and you check for leaks there shouldn't be a problem ... remember that in a motorhome you have gas pipes all over the place which aren't sealed from the interior (cooker, heater etc). If you want to be more 'belts and braces' you could put in a drop vent at the bottom of the recess and seal any gaps in the surrounding area with sealant etc so that any 'pooling' gas would go out the vent.

Go on ... you know you want to do it ... I can feel you 'itching' to get your drill out! Failing that bring it here and I'll do it for you (just across the water!).

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I wouldn't worry about the place where the pipe passes through being gas-tight, so long as the pipes are connected and you check for leaks there shouldn't be a problem ... remember that in a motorhome you have gas pipes all over the place which aren't sealed from the interior (cooker, heater etc).

Fair point... Well put.. :)

So now back to pondering a suitable time to visit Thirsk :)...

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Not sure what this is all about, is this about guys taking their bottle's out of the bottle container to fill it up? if this is the case then Gaslow warned people about this practice over two years ago Service station personnel were warned not to go out and fill customer's bottle's partially due to the highly volatile combustion of LPG, to combat this problem Gaslow introduced a fill system that was meant to be fitted into the body of the MH which means that the bottles stayed in situ during its refill ...... to my Knowledge no one with this system has been refused LPG
PS, BP Service stations started withdrawning LPG facilities long before Shell

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I wouldn't worry about the place where the pipe passes through being gas-tight, so long as the pipes are connected and you check for leaks there shouldn't be a problem ... remember that in a motorhome you have gas pipes all over the place which aren't sealed from the interior (cooker, heater etc). If you want to be more 'belts and braces' you could put in a drop vent at the bottom of the recess and seal any gaps in the surrounding area with sealant etc so that any 'pooling' gas would go out the vent.

Go on ... you know you want to do it ... I can feel you 'itching' to get your drill out! Failing that bring it here and I'll do it for you (just across the water!).
The pipes inside the van are low pressure; pipes connecting the bottles to the regulator are high pressure - a lot will come out in a short time and would flood the van if it wasn't sealed.

Joe

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The pipes inside the van are low pressure; pipes connecting the bottles to the regulator are high pressure - a lot will come out in a short time and would flood the van if it wasn't sealed.

Joe

Mmm!... Another good point... Well put

:/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Joe
I did say to put in a drop vent and mentioned sealing the surrounding area for this very 'unlikely' scenario.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Joe

I assume you mean 'fill' and not flood ;)

The liquid will expand 270 times when it becomes gas :eek:

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I assume you mean 'fill' and not flood ;)

The liquid will expand 270 times when it becomes gas :eek:
It will FLOOD until it evaporates to gas ..........

....I had a scarry situation once in France when a non-return valve got wedged open and on removing the fill nozzle liquid gas spilled out, causing a puddle on the ground which took a few seconds to clear.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It will FLOOD until it evaporates to gas ..........

....I had a scarry situation once in France when a non-return valve got wedged open and on removing the fill nozzle liquid gas spilled out, causing a puddle on the ground which took a few seconds to clear.

I don't want to get in to a 'handbag fight' but that was your perception. The liquid can only remain in that state under high pressure. Upon release to the (considerably) lower atmospheric pressure it will revert to the gaseous state almost instantaneously.

The puddle you saw on the ground was as likely ice or water as a result of the rapid expansion.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Joe
I did say to put in a drop vent and mentioned sealing the surrounding area for this very 'unlikely' scenario.

I forgot to mention earlier, the filler pipe into the cylinder is connected to a non-return valve and as a pump will not normally let you fill if there is a 'leak' in the system (I assume it must detect a pressure problem) the only time I could think that the interior would get ANY gas into it would be if the filler pipe connection leaked AFTER filling with the small amount of gas in it but this could happen at any time with any installation. However if where the filler point enters the van is sealed off which, from the OP's photos would be easy to achieve, and where it then goes into the gas locker is also sealed, I can't see why there would be a problem ... that's just my view.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't want to get in to a 'handbag fight' but that was your perception. The liquid can only remain in that state under high pressure. Upon release to the (considerably) lower atmospheric pressure it will revert to the gaseous state almost instantaneously.

The puddle you saw on the ground was as likely ice or water as a result of the rapid expansion.
OK ... you obviously know what I saw better than I do!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
OK ... you obviously know what I saw better than I do!

Funny you should say that ........ yes I believe I probably do.

I am (was) a professional hot air balloon pilot and spent many years of my life surrounded by 100's of litres of the stuff, setting fire to it, and avoiding being killed by it :eek:

Filling gas cylinders is something I have a LOT of experience in. :)

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Funny you should say that ........ yes I believe I probably do.

I am (was) a professional hot air balloon pilot and spent many years of my life surrounded by 100's of litres of the stuff, setting fire to it, and avoiding being killed by it :eek:

Filling gas cylinders is something I have a LOT of experience in. :)
OK .. no "handbags" I should have gone to Specsa...

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I also forgot to mention that the boiling point of LPG is minus 42 centigrade, above this temperature unless under pressure as previously mentioned the gas will evaporate.

It is possible for larger quantities of LPG to pool in a depression and remain in a boiling state for a while longer (I doubt you had enough LPG overspill, and the surface would have been flat)

No need for Specsavers.............. just the need to be more receptive to information from a more qualified and experienced source ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I also forgot to mention that the boiling point of LPG is minus 42 centigrade, above this temperature unless under pressure as previously mentioned the gas will evaporate.

It is possible for larger quantities of LPG to pool in a depression and remain in a boiling state for a while longer (I doubt you had enough LPG overspill, and the surface would have been flat)

No need for Specsavers.............. just the need to be more receptive to information from a more qualified and experienced source ;)
Did you actually need gas to create 'hot air' for the balloons ... ;):LOL:

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting conversations, I have been thinking about fitting Gaslow to the van. I will be touring Europe next year proberly two three weeks at a time as I'm not retired like some of you lucky lucky people. I spend most of my time in the UK should I stick with calor gas bottles or change to fitted Gaslow system, I appreciate its cheaper eventually but is it going to become a problem, are there other company's that do a fitted system.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
OK ........ enough already :D

We all have the same interests at heart, and that is safety. I was just a little concerned that some may take the fine detail literally.

LPG is one of those strange things ............. quite safe when used properly .............. and a ruthless killer when not :eek:

Somewhere in between is the acceptance that we use it and have to 'deal' with it in our endeavours.

Be safe out there (y)

P.S. My posts are never meant to offend and I am sorry if they do :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back