LPG Filling Restriction for Gaslow Bottles (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had a Ford Galaxy and two RVs powered by LPG and there was no tank or system testing requirement, anymore than there is for a petrol or diesel powered vehicle, to my knowledge, other than emissions test on MOT.

Deleted User
I had no problem as I have a fixed tank with external fill point and the guy was quite happy.

The attendant came out and asked a direct question to which I would not have lied if I did have bottles!
Thank you, that answers my question regarding the external fill point, I believe that some do not have the external fill point which prompted my question.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Under the reg`s, as was in 1997. There was no requirement for any sort of examination other than at manufacture, for gas tanks as fitted to vehicles either for Domestic, or Motive purposes. Large comercial BULK tanks however are subject to testing at 10 year periods. As are LPG Transport Vessels (Gas Tankers to you and I). Mostly these are Leased and exchanged by the leaser at 10 years, and re-examined and refurbished by the owner. I have in the past inspected 30 and 40 years old vessels, and they are 99% as good as when manufactured. I had one Vehicle tanker (Calor) which slid 400+yards down the M5 on its side. We did a full NDT and Internal and external examination, had the "Scars" dressed out and NDT checked. It went back in full service at full pressure. with the 5th wheel pin replaced for good Measure!!.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm planning on moving the internal filler for our Gaslow system from the locker to the outside - one funster has already done this and it looked a very neat job. I haven't bothered up to now as except for one occasion we've never been stopped from filling up so that's not the reason, it's more to do with having to open the back doors and then the locker door to fill it ... fine if it's a nice day but if it's blooming raining etc it means the back of the camper/rear bed is exposed to the elements whilst filling, especially as a lot of the LPG pumps aren't under cover.

I haven't told hubby that I'm going to do it yet though ... I'll have to wait until he goes out for a long walk with the dogs one day and get on with it quickish! :D

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Obviously doesn't want the business at the moment as more calor customers filling up with cheaper lpg because of warmer weather . Soon as we hit a colder spell or demand increases will sell to others with another spurious answer

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As I said earlier, ask where the private hire lads fuel up. LPG 42p a ltr yesterday.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Filled up at the Q8 PFS at Nuns Bridge, near Thetford, at the weekend with no problems, 49p per litre.

Hymie

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
It's not surprising that LPG stations are "nervy" about filling perceived DIY installations etc ... When there are nutcases like this chappy publishing his fine work on OOOO-TOOOB for all to see!!.....

Granted - it's not a MoHo .... However, there's one born every minute - and he might purchase a camper-van at some point! :)

Most "rules" are brought about to cover "the lowest common denominator".. !!

Caution - He swears!

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I must say it's not a problem where I live. The local Calor gas people seem happy to fill my Gaslow system.
Same here in Suffolk, we have a Calor Depot at Risby, just off A14.
Chris

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We often refill our under-slung fixed lpg tank at the Calor Service Center in Norwich ...

I usually get mine at North Tuddenham Garage, who are very helpful, provide lpg support for cars, fit tanks etc and do my MOT.

When they didn't have any, I got gas from Three-Ways Garage at Shipdham - Gordon

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been refused in Italy next garage was OK, a couple of days ago in Portugal after spending ages manouvering up to the GPL pump woman came out and said "we don't fill bottles" I lied said it's a tank she said "show me " I showed her the fill point she said "that's OK".

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've been refused in Italy next garage was OK, a couple of days ago in Portugal after spending ages manouvering up to the GPL pump woman came out and said "we don't fill bottles" I lied said it's a tank she said "show me " I showed her the fill point she said "that's OK".

I don't think that's lying, after all gaslow/alugas etc is a tank. It's just the same shape as a bottle.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If anyone is interested, especially if you are heading for East Yorks Coast. FLOGAS on the Beck View Road (next to Right car) In BEVERLEY have a filling facility. I have had 32ft of Pusher R-V in there to fill it`s Domestic tank. The guys are very obliging.

You have to negotiate the infamous 42 sets of traffic lights (Christened the red light district, by us locals and German T-V!!) to get to it.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We filled up at Shell Barnsdale Bar (northbound) on the A1 on the way back from the NEC this morning. No problems at all, in fact the lad who served me was interested that we used refillable bottles.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Filled up today at Caenby Corner BP 52 p a litre, no probs.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always go and ask first taking in the folder that Autogas2000 gave us when they fitted the system. No one has ever asked to see the paperwork - perhaps the fact I have it ready just in case makes a difference. The filler is an external one :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm planning on moving the internal filler for our Gaslow system from the locker to the outside - one funster has already done this and it looked a very neat job. I haven't bothered up to now as except for one occasion we've never been stopped from filling up so that's not the reason, it's more to do with having to open the back doors and then the locker door to fill it ... fine if it's a nice day but if it's blooming raining etc it means the back of the camper/rear bed is exposed to the elements whilst filling, especially as a lot of the LPG pumps aren't under cover.

I haven't told hubby that I'm going to do it yet though ... I'll have to wait until he goes out for a long walk with the dogs one day and get on with it quickish! :D
Yes I moved mine from in the locker, the gas locker hinges from the top and sometimes space is tight at the lpg pumps. I used the small type fill point like this
http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/euro-flat-filler-complete-129-p.asp

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The lpg price does seem to vary a lot about the country. Caneby corner BP 52p ,A11 BP 63p .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes I moved mine from in the locker, the gas locker hinges from the top and sometimes space is tight at the lpg pumps. I used the small type fill point like this
http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/euro-flat-filler-complete-129-p.asp
Hi Manic, I already have the large round black Gaslow filler and a long enough pipe but have been considereing one of the type you've linked to as it is a lot less intrusive as it won't mean having to cut into the bodywork - it can just be fitted under the bumper. Maggy has one on her Autocruise Alto - photo below:

Gas-it fill point.jpg

I've still got to tell hubby that I'm gonna do it though!!! :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The lpg price does seem to vary a lot about the country. Caneby corner BP 52p ,A11 BP 63p .
If you fill up at BP stations make sure you get the Autogas discount card, gives 1p per litre off 1st time you fill up, 2p next time up to 10p off then you start again with a new card.

pilgrim55

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've had Gaslow on two different vehicles for 5 years +, both with external filling points in the skirt.

I have filled at Calor depots, truck stops, main stream fuel stations and supermarkets. Not once have I been refused or had the installation queried.

I think it's down to a properly fitted external filing point being on the vehicles and not exposing the bottles when I turn them off prior to gassing up.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Super_Fillpoint_White.gif
I fitted the white version of the external filler cap to my skirt, looks like an OEM fitting, never had a problem.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
On a Galow filler cap they put a sticker to advertise their product as below that may be a give away you are filling a bottle.
The word Gaslow can be removed, it just peels off and underneath it says Autogas so that's not a bottle is it?

Broken Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It's not surprising that LPG stations are "nervy" about filling perceived DIY installations etc ... When there are nutcases like this chappy publishing his fine work on OOOO-TOOOB for all to see!!.....

Granted - it's not a MoHo .... However, there's one born every minute - and he might purchase a camper-van at some point! :)

Most "rules" are brought about to cover "the lowest common denominator".. !!

Caution - He swears!

Cock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back