Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm going to change the in-locker LPG filler on my PVC to an external one. I already have 11kg and 6kg cylinders and stainless steel pipes, so it's just the external filler that I'm debating about.

I have the larger circular filler already mounted on a bracket inside the locker (like the one below) which I could use but obviously the hole needed would be quite large so I've been thinking about getting the smaller square ones but can't decide which would be best!

upload_2017-1-6_17-1-24.png

There are 2 types of smaller fillers:

This one which is a flush fit and into which you have to screw a bayonet each time you want to fill up, but the advantage is that it is a neater installation:

upload_2017-1-6_16-57-40.png

The other type is the one that doesn't have the removable bayonet so no having to screw in each time, but it sticks out and is more limited as to where it can be placed:

upload_2017-1-6_16-58-24.png

So funsters ... which do you think is best?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
On a pcv the second one may be a better option ?
I've fitted a couple of the first types you mention into the skirts on a mh.. I always added some bracing to the plastic skirts for support which you most probably wouldn't need on a pcv.
If they are mounted into the van you will need the rubber boot mounted on the back to stop any gas released when breaking the connection getting into the van... I think the boots are sold separately.
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The second one that sticks out more is designed to be put into a gas locker, in the same way as your existing one. If you want to use one flush in the wall or skirt then use the first type. That is what we have done and we have mounted it on the aluminium skirt of our Hymer. It looks very neat.

Trouble is at the moment I can't work out how to insert a photo of it

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I use the flush type on PVC campers and generally fit it into the upstand section of the rear bumper. The other type you show is designed for fitting to either a towbar or the side will next to a step.

D.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
go with the one you have it will fit flush ive jusst fitted one to the new van coachbuilt and fitted one to the previous van a pvc
on the pvc fiat ducato i fitted it in the same position as the fuel filler but on the other side but we had an underslung tank so this might be to far away for your gas bottles

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I fitted the small flush fit type on my Hymer, smaller hole needed and neater I think.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Trouble is at the moment I can't work out how to insert a photo of it
Hi Peter To insert a photo to the forums when you are making a post Click "more options" >> "Upload a file" >> then a window will open up for you to browse to your photo on your PC , select the photo , it will then start to be uploaded to the Forum database.
Then to include the picture of it in your post ,below where is says "attached files" and you see a thumbnail of the picture that you uploaded.
Now to add a thumbnail of it to your post click "thumbnail" or to include a full sized image to your post click "Full image"
Hope that helps!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Occasionally you will come across some places with notices stating
" No adaptors" . I came across one at a Sainsburys.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is where I was going to install the existing round filler (either on the side or back of the corner body trim section) and was thinking of putting the flat one there instead, the other option is the 'box' one under the bumper:

gas filler.jpg

I'll run the existing fill pipe out through the bottom of the gas locker, which is located in the nearside corner, utilising one of the existing drop vents so no extra holes will need to be cut in it, fortunately the pipe is long enough to go wherever I want it to.

Putting the 'box' filler under the bumper, or at the side of the camper, would probably be the easiest to install but that's not the point really, I'm just trying to decide which is the best option before I do it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I made a bracket for mine that fits on my tow bar, ;) got fed up with leaving them on vans when we change, which may be happening again soon. :D2 Bob.
20160614_095434.jpg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Minxy Girl

Sounds like a good plan. Here's a photo of how I did our last van. Very similar to your plan, but I used the smaller filler point and it was in the opposite side as that's where the tanks were on our van. I'm not sure there will be enough space behind the trim to fit the bigger integral filler you have though.

A bit fiddly but very neat and easily removable later by replacing the bumper corner
_DSC0004.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I made a bracket for mine that fits on my tow bar, ;) got fed up with leaving them on vans when we change, which may be happening again soon. :D2 Bob.
Our refillable kit was first installed in 2009 in our Rimor, then I moved it to our Chausson, then our Autocruise and currently into our Globecar ... it's a well travelled system! If I used the large existing round filler in the corner trim section I could just put a blanking one in if we change to another MH/PVC in the future so could still take the kit with me, but obviously if I change to the square one there would be very little sign of there ever being anything fitted for when we come to sell.

I do have a spare 11kg Gaslow refillable cylinder and HP automotive rubber pipe (ie not the BBQ type rubber hose) that would go from it to a regulator so could put the existing round filler and bracket with it and sell it on as a 'ready to fit' kit so that the only thing needed would be a filler pipe which the purchaser could get of a suitable length for fitting to their MH.

Decisions ... decisions!!!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl

Sounds like a good plan. Here's a photo of how I did our last van. Very similar to your plan, but I used the smaller filler point and it was in the opposite side as that's where the tanks were on our van. I'm not sure there will be enough space behind the trim to fit the bigger integral filler you have though.

A bit fiddly but very neat and easily removable later by replacing the bumper corner
View attachment 140792
Nice job, I suppose rather than replace the corner piece you could just remove the filler and fit a blanking plate instead, as I would if I did it like that. How do you get on with having to use the bayonet fitting with it though ... have you had any problems?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Yep, you can buy the cover flap separately so could just stick that over the hole. Or you could just leave the filler point in place - they're not that expensive.

The plastic can flex a little with the weight of the filler gun when using the bayonet adaptor, but it's not a problem. As we mainly travel in Europe we normally use the cup filler adaptor - so effectively its just the same as using the integral one anyway.

Btw if you fit the large filler point I think you will have to cut back a lot of metal behind the bumper to fit. The small fill point with a 90 degree elbow fits between the bumper and the metalwork so can be directed downward and then along the outside of the van floor to the gas locker.

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Assume the pipe cracks - where does the gas vent to ? Any chance of it getting inside.
No. If you take the pipe through the bottom of the gas box then the whole of the pipe and filler are outside of the van, in the open void between the van metalwork and the plastic bumper.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The plastic can flex a little with the weight of the filler gun when using the bayonet adaptor, but it's not a problem. As we mainly travel in Europe we normally use the cup filler adaptor - so effectively its just the same as using the integral one anyway.
... that brings me onto the next question ... from what you've said when in mainland Europe you don't need to use the bayonet screw in bit at all and just use the cup filler on it's own screwed directly into the 'flat' plate? If so am I right to assume the cup filler and other adaptors are the same standard ones sold that are normally screwed into the bayonet as I've already got a set of these so would like to keep using them rather than have to buy more?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
... that brings me onto the next question ... from what you've said when in mainland Europe you don't need to use the bayonet screw in bit at all and just use the cup filler on it's own screwed directly into the 'flat' plate? If so am I right to assume the cup filler and other adaptors are the same standard ones sold that are normally screwed into the bayonet as I've already got a set of these so would like to keep using them rather than have to buy more?
Yes the adaptors are the same as you use in the big filler and yes you just use the adapter you need e.g. English bayonet or French cup.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks guys for all the info/suggestions, I think I'll go with the flush fill smaller square one in the rear nearside corner vertical bumper trim similar to Jenben as it's a nice neat install, is higher up so easier to fill and won't get covered in road dirt, and the bumper trim itself will have enough rigidity to support it when the filler nozzle is attached.

Actually I've just had another though ... if I remove the rear reflector I might be able to fit the filler there and stick the reflector on the cover so it would be VERY discrete ... will have to investigate!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Another thing to remember is that UK fittings have a 1/2" diameter thread for the adaptors to screw in to. EU /Spanish ones are only M10 thread. Not interchangeable.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another thing to remember is that UK fittings have a 1/2" diameter thread for the adaptors to screw in to. EU /Spanish ones are only M10 thread. Not interchangeable.
I've got the below adaptors already so as far as I know I've got all eventualities covered:

upload_2017-1-7_11-48-47.png

When we only had a single refillable bottle I also bought one of these in case we ever needed to use an exchange cylinder in the UK, but have never needed it ... must put it on Ebay!

01-1674-1.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well the smaller filler point and bayonet arrived today ... such a shame snow is predicted .... :rolleyes: :whistle:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would put it as high as practical my new one is a tad low makes it more difficult to line the gun up

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
i would put it as high as practical my new one is a tad low makes it more difficult to line the gun up
Yup ... I'll have a shuftie at some point and see what's behind the corner bumper bit and then make a final decision on exactly where I'll put it but the location in the left image is favourite at the mo:

gas-filler-jpg.140781

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Can you keep me posted on your fitting idea on the bumper of your Globecar? I'm thinking of something similar. Photos would be excellent!
Cheers!
Gerry (y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can you keep me posted on your fitting idea on the bumper of your Globecar? I'm thinking of something similar. Photos would be excellent!
Cheers!
Gerry (y)
Will do ... not sure how soon I'll be doing it though as my hand has to heal up first ... plus its tooooooooooooo cold!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back