LPG conversion (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Looking to buy a Georgie Boy Landau 6.9 ltr petrol V10
Anybody any ideas on how much a gas conversion is?
Dealer is advising 8-10 MPG is this correct?http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/blush.gif
I have the georgieboy pursuit 7.4 v8 vortech
it cost £2500 for the lpg with a 175ltr gas tank fitted in 2008 by previous owner
yes 8-10 mpg on gas

not worth doing if you not doing moon miles
£2500 is alot of petrol

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have the georgieboy pursuit 7.4 v8 vortech
it cost £2500 for the lpg with a 175ltr gas tank fitted in 2008 by previous owner
yes 8-10 mpg on gas

not worth doing if you not doing moon miles
£2500 is alot of petrol

Having run a much smaller engine on lpg, with the increased cost of lpg I agree with the previous comment it just doesn't make cost sense, even if you have lpg fitted the reduced mpg you get weighed against the increased mileage on petrol the price difference is often barely discernable.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just did a price comparison on petrolprices.com for the Ipswich area. Diesel around 135p, LPG around 70p, that's as near as dammit half price. So even though you may get 10-20% less mpg on LPG, "IF" (and that's the question) you do the mileage then its worth it. For us it was easy, we knew we would be keeping it a longtime.

Ian

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our conversion was £3k and I consider that cost as part of the initial capital cost of the RV We have 10k on the clock in the two years since new.
Did 2k miles in Spain last winter at 10mpg on lpg and it feels so much better paying just 65/ 70p a litre when filling up.
I think with an RV always worth it to convert :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have had a couple of LPG cars and in effect you are doubling the mileage (money wise)mpg IE on my v8 LR Disco 15 mpg on petrol gave around 28 mpg =£s spent on gas-gas being half price.If you are buying a RV to convert to gas then it takes a long time to get payback :Smile:Better to pay for a already converted LPG one that way you get the benefit and somebody else stands the cost ::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi I have had a couple of LPG cars and in effect you are doubling the mileage (money wise)mpg IE on my v8 LR Disco 15 mpg on petrol gave around 28 mpg =£s spent on gas-gas being half price.If you are buying a RV to convert to gas then it takes a long time to get payback :Smile:Better to pay for a already converted LPG one that way you get the benefit and somebody else stands the cost ::bigsmile:
terry
i agree :thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think ... it's kinda like two virtually identical houses on the same street where one has been recently double glazed and the other still has the original or older double glazed windows. Or better/newer central heating or whatever. Makes the first house better value for the same price.

But would you pay an extra £x thousand? - no ...... perhaps a couple of £hundred, depends.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
things may have changed over the years but my V10 has two LPG systems running as one.

at the time of fitting there wasnt a kit available for a 10 cylinder engine.

i would expect around £2500 to £3000 today.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again G & D you don't say your budget,but OLDMO has a 2007 30fter LPG triple slide out @ 29k and SLOBBERDODBOB has a 2005 23' 9 " (euro size :winky:)without LPG but loaded with 14k extras for 34k well worth a look at both,but for me the lpg one wins,but then again Bobs van is short ::bigsmile:
Not sure IF Bob will answer -he spat his dummy out over trivial ribbing :winky:
terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A bit late on this thread but unless I was going to do a lot of miles I would not pay to have a conversion fitted.
I owned an lpg converted Jeep for a couple of years, 15mpg, range on full 100L tank 225 miles - not a lot!
It became a pain even using it locally where I knew where the lpg pumps were - a nightmare trying to find lpg on the road (and I did have a map of lpg stations).
After every fill up I would set the 'trip' and start thinking about a refill after say 180 miles. It also takes an age leaning against the fill button to fill the tank, if someone is using the only bank of pumps that has lpg you have to wait for a space - on the right side.
Personally I would always prefer diesel - or just petrol if the mileage is low.
Motorhoming is about relaxing, watching the fuel guage (or trip meter) looking for lpg stations is not.
- My personal experience/opinion - if you know of anyone that has used lpg ask for theirs
Good luck with your new RV

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Range, availability of LPG abroad, cost of LPG, all make this a "capital cost" equation, never one about runnign cost's.

I agree with he estimate of £2500-3000 with the installation carried out by a certificated dealer with experience of large volume engines. Persobally, i would also agree that it would be better to buy an already converted vehicle...but having said that, if you can suffer the cost....when you need to sell, yours will sell quicker.
LPG is never going to be a magic wand, but it may make the difference between buying or not!:thumb:

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
i have been told that prins autogas in southhampton are the only one that fit a kit for the v10 triton ,, i think the cost was £2500 fitted inc vat Broken Link Removed the others use 2 5 cylinder kits but they seem to work, i expect someone with more info will be along shortly

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all...i have lpg conversion (impco ) on a 7.4 lt V8 at a cost of £2200 approx 5yrs ago done 27000 miles .If i had to choose again i would go for diesel

Lostratus

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
I have a petrol van conversion and decided to get LPG on it. Gives me the equivalent of 30mpg based on diesel cost.

The BRC system has so far proved reliable and easy to use. LPG stations can be a bit hit and miss, I found the Shell and WhatGas apps handy. Assume you can't run on gas 100% of the time, which is best anyway.

The cost of the conversion was more than offset by the saving I made by buying a petrol model when many others would have steered clear. A diesel model of the same year would also have been well outside my price range.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
My previous RV had LPG conversion fitted when I bought it and in my experience unless I intended to do a lot of annual mileage I would not bother again. If it was already fitted, then ok, no problem.
The reduced cost of fuel was a bonus but as previously mentioned looking for lpg can be a pain and on many occasions I was unable to access the lpg pump due to its positioning on the forecourt. Having to put petrol in when you have lpg tanks breaks your heart :cry:

If you do decide to go for conversion try to include long range tanks and have a filler point on both sides of RV.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After 10k miles in two years LPG is the only way for me with a range of over 330 miles supply is no problem not even in Spain.

The fuel cost LPG = £3,444 the equivalent petrol cost on my RV would have been £6,150 , this is calculated allowing for a reduction in mpg for LPG.

A saving of £2,706. In 2 years the conversion is almost paid for :thumb:

By the way estimated diesel cost for this mileage at 23mpg is £2,773 (perhaps around right for a large MH ) for comparison mine weighs all up 6557kg.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back