LPG conversion cost / benefit (1 Viewer)

F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Hi all, advice from funsters here seems to be get a conversion done. I have a 1990 V8 engine, 351. Looking to import it from the US to the UK in about 3/4 months.

I hear LPG is about 45p a litre in the UK, so 1/2 price of regular petrol (have been out of the UK for a couple of years, so not sure how much petrol costs now).

Could someone please give me some advice on what is involved (approx. price of a conversion, how does it work - extra tank, switchover between petrol/LPG, do most UK & continental petrol stations sell LPG)?

Also, what is mileage like compared to regular petrol - any better or worse?

Many thanks.
Jonathan :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jonathan,

Have a word with John (Roadrunner).

He's just had his done.

Is it sequential fuel injection?

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

hi, here in exmouth devon, LPG is 59.9ppl at todays price, petrol is 112ppl same filling station. But fuel is going up each day last week petrol was 104ppl in the same filling station, and there will be a rise in tax of 2ppl on fuel (not sure about LPG) in october.
anyway thats the cost of fuel in devon sorted for you.
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Jon, it might be an idea to have a read through this discussion here:
Link Removed

It will give you an idea of what to expect cost wise and help you decide whether going the LPG route is for you :Smile:

OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Thanks Lindy :Smile: I will be glad when I can start contributing to this site, instead of just asking questions!!!

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks Lindy :Smile: I will be glad when I can start contributing to this site, instead of just asking questions!!!

Don't mention it ::bigsmile:

I am sure you could teach us a thing ot two about RVing in the States! :roflmto:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Cost of LPG conversion? £1500 to £5000. Dependant on which rip off merchant does the conversion.

MPG and power will be between 15% and 20% worse. ie. 8,5mpg Petrol 7.5 mpg LPG.

Advantages?
Cheaper by half at the MOMENT.
VERY Good for the environment.

There are many LPG stations throughout the UK and Europe within a tanks full drive in most cases. Excepting in Spain/Portugal.
Tank sizes can vary between 100 to 400 litres depending on space and the extra weight imposed on the chassis.

OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Nice one! ::bigsmile: I'm sold on the environmental benefits. Now I need to work out if it's worth it on a cost basis - initial outlay vs. miles travelled. I can use the calculator on the other thread for that. Cheers John! :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My MPG with the latest sequential system is already matching the petrol MPG and its still tuned to run rich::bigsmile:

300 litres capacity and great installers for just under 3 grand:winky:

At present buying it locally from countrywide farmers for 40p + VAT::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back