LPG Conversion (ARV) (1 Viewer)

M

mnd

Deleted User
Hi, we find ourselves spending more time in the m/h nowadays since downsizing last October, I know the topic of conversions is old hat:RollEyes: However....
we have seen Georgie Boy Landau 2450 advertised wth LPG conversion, the extra space afforded by a slideout in a small by comparison RV would suit us admirably:thumb:

My question is are these conversions carried out here in the UK? and are they of a standard fit to all 8.1 Chevy engines, or would I be better looking at diesel models?

Regards Dave.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
dave

done here in uk. i get about 9mpg on lpg, paying about 45p per litre (countrywide farmers).

des

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Dave

Speak to Road Runner he's had a conversion done in the last month or so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dave, theirs many places in the UK doing conversions on RV's both the GM's and ford's. In this country you will achieve a similar cost per mile as an equivalent diesel, abroad because of the generally cheaper diesel price, its a bit dearer.

Their are a few different makes but all seem reliable as I haven't seen any post's with people with major problems.

Have to agree with the extra space slidouts give you on a small RV, turns a littly into a biggy. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I've had 2 vehicles done now and both American.

The first was my 5.7 ltr Jeep Grand Cherokee which was done by a mechanic who really knows American engines and a great mechanic and is franchise LPG fitter.

My Ford 7.5 ltr RV was done by a firm that only does LPG conversions and are Devon LPG conversions.

Now my Jeep still has issues chopping across to petrol under heavy acceleration whereas my RV is perfect first time.

My RV fitting firm have asked me to drop my Jeep into them and they'll sort it for me FOC. Well done Devon LPG conversion.

I have 3 x 100 tanks in my RV and in my opinion is running better on gas than petrol and certainly matching its petrol MPG with no problem and at 49.9p a litre in Morrison's and under 45p a litre at countrywide farmers where I have an account.

My advice is go to someone who does it fulltime and has a good reputation and once it done you'll never look back.

I'm definitely a convert:thumb:

Good luck Dave whatever you decide

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mnd

Deleted User
Hi, Thanks everyone..perhaps I didn't make it clear enough in my original post. the RV I'm looking at is advertised with a Gas conversion already fitted! My question which you kindly answered is that the are a UK conversion, but are the kits used from the same manufacturer for all US motors, i.e. Chevvy uses this type Ford use that type etc.
Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
There are various makers of the conversions kits and will be adjusted and matched to suit the engines they are required for.

My vehicles both have Romano conversions.

One major point is on a newer engine is they need a sequential multi point injection systems (much harder to fit but much cleverer system working from an ECU) which both mine are.

Read Devon gas about kits they fit Our Systems

OP
OP
M

mnd

Deleted User
Thanks for the info John:Smile:

Another question (got loads sorry) Condensation... AFAIK RV's don't benefit from DG like thier euro counterparts,is it cause for concern in the colder months, and what can be done to keep it under control?

Dave

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
One major point is on a newer engine is they need a sequential multi point injection systems (much harder to fit but much cleverer system working from an ECU) which both mine are.

Read Devon gas about kits they fit Our Systems

Hi John thats incorrect, my GM 8.1 has a gas carb, and is wired into the ECU.

Hi Dave many newer RV's have DG, mine built in 04 has on all the side windows except for my drivers door. I only get any real condensation on the front window.

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John, think I had better expand on my explanation, my gas carb is connected into the ECU but only to stop fault codes appearing, unlike your multipoint my ECU doesn't control the gas, thats simply done by the manifold depression. So I would expect you to get better mpg on your system than I do.

I have be toying with the idea of having mine converted, after all the tanks are all there, its just a question of fitting the injectors and some electrics, so I may get a quote.

Hi Dave I never stop learning. ::bigsmile:

Olley

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi David

The American term for double glazing is 'dual-pane' windows - and most of the modern imported RV's have them but it is always worthwhile to check. The only window which is never double glazed is the windscreen and being the biggest of all - it does suffer badly in cold weather.
Even bigger problems can occur to full-timers though - from the use of lpg for cooking and heating in the RV, the frequent use of the shower which is not in an enclosed bathroom situation, the washer/dryer and just the normal vapour coming off of two normal human beings living on board.
Simple remedy is a small domestic 240volt de-humidifier mounted in the drivers 'well' out of sight (almost) but from which we extract about 3 litres of water per day. We NEVER get condensation on the windscreen now - unless I have had a glass or two too many the night before and forget to empty the thing before I go to bed!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi David

The American term for double glazing is 'dual-pane' windows - and most of the modern imported RV's have them but it is always worthwhile to check. The only window which is never double glazed is the windscreen and being the biggest of all - it does suffer badly in cold weather.
Even bigger problems can occur to full-timers though - from the use of lpg for cooking and heating in the RV, the frequent use of the shower which is not in an enclosed bathroom situation, the washer/dryer and just the normal vapour coming off of two normal human beings living on board.
Simple remedy is a small domestic 240volt de-humidifier mounted in the drivers 'well' out of sight (almost) but from which we extract about 3 litres of water per day. We NEVER get condensation on the windscreen now - unless I have had a glass or two too many the night before and forget to empty the thing before I go to bed!

Great tip Dick:winky::thumb:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
like dick, we use a dehumidifier, bought from b&q for about £125 (on a weds, when discount for wrinklies). does the job. in our rv, it sits behind the driver's seat, i front of the slideout, when travelling. no prob.

des

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
We don't have DG but do suffer with condensation during the winter if the RV has been left in storage with no heating on.

After a couple of day with heating and us aboard sorts itself out.

I have a ten year old dehumidifier but it's on the large size.

OP
OP
M

mnd

Deleted User
Is the heating system gas only, or is there an electric option for heating & hot water fitted?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi dave your water maybe heated by any one or all of the following, Engine, gas or electric. The electric can be an after market fit called a "hot rod" (goes in the drain plug hole) or fitted as standard.

Central heating is normally only gas as it takes so much power, we have a 600watt panel heater in the bedroom a 1000watt oil filled rad. for nights and 1000watt fan heater, but unless we are on 16amp EHU we wouldn't be able to run them all.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back