LPG Bluetooth level gauge from Gasit (1 Viewer)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Just seen this if it’s a repost sorry. Looks good and if works would be great for me. It looks like the system from the states re badged to me well the app side does anyway.
Damn! I wish I'd known about this before I installed inline gauges! :lipssealed:

Wyn

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I am going to ask a really stupid question here. I have two 13KG Gaslow refillable bottles. Do I need one of the ultrasonic sensors or two? Can I use one sensor to measure the contents of both bottles if so what do I need please?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'm happy to pay a little extra to purchase in UK as would be easier for warranty issues.
I bought two from Amazon.com. ( USA) they sent me the older design ( with black buttons)
I contacted them about changing the refresh rate and was told it can’t be changed on the earlier units. They sent me 2 new ones ( with green buttons) and didn’t want the old ones back.
They arrived in 4 days.
No problems with warranty issues buying from the USA and I now have two spares!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
But would you need two if both bottles are switched on and therefore in theory reducing at the same rate?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
But would you need two if both bottles are switched on and therefore in theory reducing at the same rate?
Depends on your system fitted. I have auto change over with both bottles turned on, you only use one bottle at a time. The c/o v/v switches bottles when the set primary runs out. I have gaslow and calor and have fitted this to the calor bottle set alert at 60%. That way if I forget to check refillable, I will be alerted to the fact that I have switched over to the calor and it’s is time to re fill. (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Are you sure they are both in use at the same time and emptying at the same rate?
If they are, then, I suppose one sensor would do, but it doesn’t seem the best way to have your gas bottles connected.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm looking for the best way to attach this system to Alugas bottles as being magnetic it will not fix on aluminum cylinders.

Somewhere I have seen (but can't find now) there are some sprung flat bars which will attach to the foot of the bottle and press upwards holding the sensor against the base.

Could anyone who has seen these spring bars please let me have a link to a supplier.

Alternatively I am looking at using gaffa tape but am open to any other suggestions.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm looking for the best way to attach this system to Alugas bottles as being magnetic it will not fix on aluminum cylinders.

Somewhere I have seen (but can't find now) there are some sprung flat bars which will attach to the foot of the bottle and press upwards holding the sensor against the base.

Could anyone who has seen these spring bars please let me have a link to a supplier.

Alternatively I am looking at using gaffa tape but am open to any other suggestions.

Your living up to your forum name, have a look at post #35 on this thread. (y)

Hay look, I'm a kind old soul, here's a link to their shop, scroll about half way down the page and bingo.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why does anyone need two? Surely you would only need to know the level once the second cylinder is in use?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Does anyone know if there is a MHFUN discount on this gadget?
I also need some Gas-it continental adapters - would a discount code work on those too?
TIA!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Reactions: GPW
May 20, 2019
Havant
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Newbies
Why does anyone need two? Surely you would only need to know the level once the second cylinder is in use?
I agree, if using an auto change over just fit one sensor to the second bottle. Why pay for two when the auto change over will auto switch once the first bottle is empty!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've just spoken with Gas-it sales, who say that the Mopega device is presently not compatible with underfloor tanks, but that a new device that will is presently being tested. This is confusing in that their website does seem to say that it can be used with tanks, and some people on here are using it in this way.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I've just spoken with Gas-it sales, who say that the Mopega device is presently not compatible with underfloor tanks, but that a new device that will is presently being tested. This is confusing in that their website does seem to say that it can be used with tanks, and some people on here are using it in this way.

Slightly misleading statement as it's the software that's not giving the correct readings for horizontal tanks not the tank sensor itself.
I'm presently using using the Mopeka sensor on my underslung tank which is the same as the Gas-it sensor that has been re-badged and I just go by the height it registers as a guide as I'm only really interested in when I'm getting low on gas.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Slightly misleading statement as it's the software that's not giving the correct readings for horizontal tanks not the tank sensor itself.
I'm presently using using the Mopeka sensor on my underslung tank which is the same as the Gas-it sensor that has been re-badged and I just go by the height it registers as a guide as I'm only really interested in when I'm getting low on gas.
They did not mention that it was a software issue (which is surely updatable), I was literally on the checkout trying to buy it. I asked them why there was no option for tanks, whereas there were options for various sizes and makes of bottles, and it was required that you choose a specific option. Like yourself, my main requirement is that I know when it is nearly empty. I might as well wait for the updated version, though.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Fitted one of these to my single 14kg Alugas yesterday. I didn't order the spring strip from Germany, though. Reading the translation of the German website, I saw the strip was actually made from aluminium (so not necessarily springy), so I made my own from a strip of aluminium I had in the garage (actually I cut it from a right angle bit but it amounts to the same thing). I measured it as being about 11.5 inches and deformed it slightly to get it in, bending it back afterwards. I bent the ends a bit in the vice, as the German one was. It wasn't quite long enough to fit snuggly without moving but I noticed that the base of the bottle has a few holes in its rim, probably for drainage, so I was able to put a self-tapper through those into notches I filed into the edge of my strip (NOT into the gas cylinder rim). This held it so that it bowed slightly towards the base of the cylinder and helped trap the sensor. Some bits of sticky draught excluder foam and the job was done. I put some other sticky foam on as well, to prevent the strip 'pinging' the opposite way.

Installed the app, etc and turned the bottle upright. I selected 14kg and it quickly settled to 25%, which is about right as I know we need a top up before Pickering.

We'll see how it goes. Removal of the cylinder was easier than I though (very tight fit in my gas locker), so I can always reseat it if it comes loose or gives erroneous readings.

Tony

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Fitted one of these to my single 14kg Alugas yesterday. I didn't order the spring strip from Germany, though. Reading the translation of the German website, I saw the strip was actually made from aluminium (so not necessarily springy), so I made my own from a strip of aluminium I had in the garage (actually I cut it from a right angle bit but it amounts to the same thing). I measured it as being about 11.5 inches and deformed it slightly to get it in, bending it back afterwards. I bent the ends a bit in the vice, as the German one was. It wasn't quite long enough to fit snuggly without moving but I noticed that the base of the bottle has a few holes in its rim, probably for drainage, so I was able to put a self-tapper through those into notches I filed into the edge of my strip (NOT into the gas cylinder rim). This held it so that it bowed slightly towards the base of the cylinder and helped trap the sensor. Some bits of sticky draught excluder foam and the job was done. I put some other sticky foam on as well, to prevent the strip 'pinging' the opposite way.
View attachment 318307
Installed the app, etc and turned the bottle upright. I selected 14kg and it quickly settled to 25%, which is about right as I know we need a top up before Pickering.

We'll see how it goes. Removal of the cylinder was easier than I though (very tight fit in my gas locker), so I can always reseat it if it comes loose or gives erroneous readings.

Tony
Excellent, think I will try the same ... was going to buy from Germany but have emailed them twice and not had the courtesy of a reply.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Bought one of these units from Gas-IT. Tried it on two full 6kg Calor Propane cylinders. The first I was able to attach unit ok but read 86%. The second the base of the cylinder was too rounded to get the magnets to attach. Sent back for refund.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Got to say I think ours is pretty accurate, when the Gasit cylinder went in the local supplier was interested in just how much we got in on the first fill so we weighed cylinder before and after to work it out. A few fills later I fitted the Tank Check.
After last weekend away I did the sad thing of weighing the cylinder, by weight it is 65% of a full gas load so device is bang on with the van sat on the drive!
820D1F4A-6ED3-4B45-8A32-DF16C9EDC4C2.png

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
My cheapo fix to an Alugas cylinder (a few posts above) has not been successful. After refilling on the way to Pickering, the level still read only in the 28% region, even after a few hours stationary. I had a fiddle with the sensor and was able to get a reading of 80% for a brief period, after which it reverted to 28%.

I will have to wait until we are home and get the cylinder out onto a Workmate to adjust it by tiny amounts, rather than kneeling in the sodden grass here! I can also fit it to various partly filled Calor cylinders to check it isn’t the sensor itself.

Has anyone else made it work successfully with an Alugas cylinder?

Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back