LPG Availability in the UK (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I fill at a local welding supply shop on a nearby industrial estate, somewhere else to consider ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A place near me are currently looking to add a second LPG pump because of the amount they sell..
Apparently there is considerable doubt it will be allowed due to H and S regs though..

Still, shows not everywhere is bailing on LPG !!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My problem with BP is that 6 weeks ago there were 4 stations in the Milton Keynes area with LPG.
Now there's none...we still have a Shell station a couple of miles away and I know that many other outlets sell it. My concern is that if BP decide to can it, it won't be log before others follow. A garage in Wales told me that they don't do lpg at the pumps now because they make 5 times as much knocking out gas bottles, so the independants are backing out too.
Just have to go to France more often..

You are looking at the wrong end of the stick !
On the other end is the fact that with BP out of the game more independents are looking at supplying LPG
The guy you spoke to in Wales has taken an extremely short term view to be honest.

BP pulled out because they did not make enough out of it compared to other core products.. That simple

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is it very hard to be an lpg supplier? I have no idea about insurance costs etc , but you would think it was worth doing if near a holiday resort with touring parks. Having said that BP at heacham have stopped selling lpg.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
So glad we have a local Calor depot, filled up on the way back from Chester @0.48 per litre. If anyone needs to fill up in Suffolk the depot is at Risby just off the A14. We have 2 refillable bottles and had switched over at Chester, previous fill was August 2015 prior to a three week trip in Europe and we have done quite a few weekend trips since when we had the heating on.
Chris

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I would have thought that the more places that pull out their pumps then the ones that have them will be more popular especially if a big player like bp stops selling it, I suspect the independents will be rejoicing that fact.... It may mean less places to fill but it should mean that we will be able to still get it somewhere on our travels....

Reactions: f6c
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Not likely to be a problem for several years thank goodness, we might just have to fill up when we see It. It is interesting to discover that of approx 35 million vehicles in the UK only 155000 run on LPG and this number is falling. There are about 1300 filling stations (again falling) which dispense LPG which means only 120 customers per site on average. There are about 22000 motorhomes in use. Say a third have refillable (a guess) which for many are not filled very often then it shows how surprisingly small the market is. It would clearly be uneconomic to install facilities in a declining market and the throughput for companies like BP becomes very questionable.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've got a Gaslow system fitted and I carry a 6kg Calor cylinder as a back up in case of no LPG pump availability - I haven't had to use it yet. For a typical 3-4 week trip abroad we never bottom the Gaslow, and we use gas for the fridge most of the time on aires.

Even so, the BP comment is useful, as my nearest station is BP.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
There is a main Calor dealer in Devizes (Wiltshire - just off the A361) that is a LPG filling station - but the owner has told me that one can't take a refillable cylinder in to be refilled as they will not fill it.

Dave

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Hen's teeth was the term I used on my recent trip to Pembrokeshire in my LPG powered Jeep.

Ironic when you think I have 4 outlets within one and a half miles of my home ;)

Andrew

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
BP Kirkstall road Leeds 47.9p yesterday and no intentions of removing it
Capellan Autoroute Aire, Luxembourg. €0.40c per litre..........and plenty of it. ;)
Yes, I know it's a UK LPG availability thread, but I just couldn't help myself. :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: f6c

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Capellan Autoroute Aire, Luxembourg. €0.40c per litre..........and plenty of it. ;)
Yes, I know it's a UK LPG availability thread, but I just couldn't help myself. :rofl:

Cheers,

That's expensive Jock. I paid equal to 22p near Zeebrugge. At the rate today 25p
image-jpeg.77926

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That's expensive Jock. I paid equal to 22p near Zeebrugge. At the rate today 25p
image-jpeg.77926
Yep, we paid very close to that in Belgium too Andy, during September 2015..................but that's the wrong direction when heading for Italy and Croatia. ;)

Cheers,

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My car runs on LPG, when it was first converted, all the petrol stations around were owned by Shell. BP bought all of them quite recently, and now stopped the LPG! GRRR!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I've just started using the FillLPG app on my phone and I think it's really useful. I update it for my area and when on my travels. It's a 'participate' thing though, not just a check it out for your own use when YOU need it. If more people get on board with it we all benefit and help each other out. I've deleted two and added one in my area to make sure it's accurate for other users, and updated quite a few.
You don't need the app on a smart phone but it's much easier, you can do it the PC/Laptop.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've a Safefill bottle in the van, but I also drive an LPG converted car, so I fill up frequently. I use the "Go-Autogas" road atlas to find LPG filling stations if I'm in a new area. I've never failed to find somewhere to fill up yet (and of course the car will still run on petrol if I should ever have a problem - all LPG cars are dual-fuel and run on petrol until the engine is warm, and can be manually switched back at any time). I have a copy of this atlas in the van as well. About half of motorway services sell LPG, although as ever it's expensive there.

LPG is worth shopping around for if you buy it regularly, the price varies a lot. I have a Countrywide Farmers account but they are definitely not the cheapest round here.

New petrol cars are getting harder to convert to LPG apparently, perhaps part of the reason for them being less popular now. If you like large engined cars it does work very well though - I have a 4.2 V8 auto that only does 20mpg, but at 48p a litre for LPG that's the equivalent of around 40mpg on petrol. The emissions are very clean as well, better than on petrol, although an engine that size will never be the greenest! I get a paltry £10 a year off my road tax as a result!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Filled up at another BP yesterday on A65 last fuel before M6 59.?p
Don't look like it's going out of business
No, but going up in price, even more so when availability is declining
Is it really worth all the mither to save a few quid, unless you live full time in the van

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I've just started using the FillLPG app on my phone and I think it's really useful. I update it for my area and when on my travels. It's a 'participate' thing though, not just a check it out for your own use when YOU need it. If more people get on board with it we all benefit and help each other out. I've deleted two and added one in my area to make sure it's accurate for other users, and updated quite a few.
You don't need the app on a smart phone but it's much easier, you can do it the PC/Laptop.
I notice that this is only available on Android, shame there isn't an IOS version.

Andrew

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I called in at Autogas in Thirsk in March and asked if they had an updated version of a really old printed list of LPG stations I had. The woman said they were currently updating it and it would be ready in April. She gave me the printed one they were updating and took my name & email. Since I heard nothing I recently emailed them and got a reply which said
Slightly puzzled as we don't have a list of filling stations to update ? you
sure your not getting us mixed up with another company.

That aside, best list of filling station is on the web. www.mylpg.eu and
cover the whole of Europe.

Is there more than one Autogas in Thirsk??

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No, but going up in price, even more so when availability is declining
Is it really worth all the mither to save a few quid, unless you live full time in the van
No those prices are not an increase just different stations use different prices

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
No those prices are not an increase just different stations use different prices
Maybe techno, but have you noticed an increase in general recently where you normally fill up
I have myself thought about LPG, but it seems to be getting more difficult to find somewhere to fill up and judging by some of the replies some of the major outlets are no longer supplying
BTW Looks a top site your on, just checked availability and booked up for quite a while, am I right in thinking some very nice dog walks there

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I normally use asda at 47.7 but not averse to paying whatever as it's still far cheaper than bottles
Fuel has gone up but no change to lpg yet

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A
I have an account with countrywide farmers. I just registered my vehicle with them, they sent key to allow me to fill at their unattended sites. They get their money by debiting my bank account once a month. Quite often I don't use any for several months ( in Europe ) but they don't seem to mind. They aren't everywhere but do have a pump in Bath, lower Bristol road by windsor bridge adjacent to tyre depot.
And you only pay 5% vat if you tell them it's for cooking and heating.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Seems to be everywhere in France. Prices vary as does diesel, but we didn't get it to save money, just for convenience.

Exactly,we just want to know when in France we wont run out of gas.
Getting a bit concerned about the lack of LPG sites in UK to fill though!:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back