DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Now, I've just completed a Gasit conversion to my little Bailey 620 and very nice it is too...

Last weekend on the way to an Easter break in Wales, dropped in at my local BP station for gas and the pump was being worked on. Never mind, I thought, get some in Wales...
Big mistake.
Spend much of easter saturday driving around mid Wales looking for a garage with lpg - the myLPG.eu app is useless, most of the listed garages no longer have gas pumps, only cylinders and one would only serve me if I had a commercial account with them !
Eventually found one 23 miles from Rhandirmwyn ! The garage 'up the hill' that used to do it now doesn't..
Never mind, got home to Milton Keynes, went back to my local BP garage to fill up to check usage - no pump.
Attendant says all BP garages now pulling LPG from the product range. This seems to be confirmed by my trip to Norfolk this weekend where in spite of lit up signs with autogas prices, pumps taped up.
Is it me or have I just spent a couple of hundred quid on a system that's being phased out ?
:devil:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I fill up at a local Calor depot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Watching this as I'm fitting a gaslow system in my motorhome and not sure where to fill up

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I have an account with countrywide farmers. I just registered my vehicle with them, they sent key to allow me to fill at their unattended sites. They get their money by debiting my bank account once a month. Quite often I don't use any for several months ( in Europe ) but they don't seem to mind. They aren't everywhere but do have a pump in Bath, lower Bristol road by windsor bridge adjacent to tyre depot.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Shell garages sell LPG as do some Morrisons but not all. Calor main agents will sell it as will FloGas agents. If your really struggling try to find a private hire driver and ask him where the lads fill up. I use Bolton Bottled Gas @42p a litre.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like you are close enough to be worthwhile opening an account with countrywide farmers.

As an account holder you are provided with an electronic key (£5 returnable deposit) to access all 41 of their outlets, 24/7, and are billed each month by direct debit and is usually a bit cheaper than major outlets.
All their outlets, despite their name, are along the welsh border area from Oswestry and down as far as Bristol.

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=AutogasHome&pgForward=businesshome

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Filled up with 21 litres of Auto Gas at a Shell service station on the A3 south of Guildford last Friday.
It appears that many BP stations are no longer supplying Auto Gas.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Try Flogas depots, Calor gas depots, many Shell filling stations (in partnership with Calor), some Morrisons store filling stations, and Autogas converters yards.

I am using the fillLPG App for Android, on my tablet, and it is very accurate with daily updates re availability and prices. Great if you have a GPS facility on your device. (y)

Like us, you are too far east to take advantage of Countrywide Farmers many Autogas outlets, which is the cheapest Autogas in Britain. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it me or have I just spent a couple of hundred quid on a system that's being phased out ?
:devil:

Good question, not just you..

Could be wrong, but I think LPG powered cars have been a flop .. so sales of Autogas will be disappointing.. keeping an Autogas pump just to refill campervan bottles/tanks is not going to justify having a pump on the forecourt with the associated maintenance and running costs .. especially as it wasn't installed for that purpose.. so envisage more closing .. our local Shell stations still sell it.. but may ask the next time I fill up with petrol if they have plans to stop selling it .

Hope I am wrong, last year I installed 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles..

Reactions: f6c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I cant agree more Jim, but I think its the conversion costs putting motorists off more than the use of lpg.

I think an average cheaper system for a car is going to be around £1000.
But, if I ever buy a large engined petrol car it WILL get a conversion.
After using our rv on both petrol and lpg I really didnt notice any difference except the cost per mile....but then it was 6.8ltr, 360bhp and 7500kg.

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
BP has announced that they are moving out of LPG at their service stations. All sites are under review as they are mostly losing money due to the decline in LPG powered vehicles.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I'm hoping that the situation in Europe is better - that's the main reason I did the Gasit conversion. I suppose I could use one of the leftover 'normal' tanks on one side of the changeover valve when in the UK..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My last two fills have been at BP stations. There are still plenty about but I don't understand the preoccupation with BP?
There are plenty of alternative outlets and BP is not the cheapest by far. ASDA currently 47.7p Last BP was 59.9 at Chester

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm hoping that the situation in Europe is better - that's the main reason I did the Gasit conversion. I suppose I could use one of the leftover 'normal' tanks on one side of the changeover valve when in the UK..

yes.. hopefully , my reason as well..

but isn't it ironic.. .. just as Spain is catching up installing LPG stations.. the rest of Europe may be winding down..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The BP announcement about removing LPG from their service stations was about a year ago wasn't it? Maybe more now, can't actually remember.

However, there are plenty of places that sell it.

Like @JockandRita I use the FillLPG Android app. They also have a web site - http://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php. It shows BP Linford Wood as still having LPG (but expensive) in 1 March plus Shell at Leadenhall and Broughton (updated 21 and 30 March respectively) in the Milton Keynes area.

When this subject was last discussed, back in October, I mentioned that the nearest (independent) garage to us selling LPG had its pump covered. It was out of order for a while and we feared it had finished but we went past a couple of weeks ago and it was back working again

We tend to fill up as we pass somewhere.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't understand the preoccupation with BP?

not pre-occupied, but when a big petroleum refiner and retailer such as BP starts closing down LPG pumps.. the rest may soon follow or at least be re assessing the viability of keeping theirs.. the writing may be on the wall

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
My problem with BP is that 6 weeks ago there were 4 stations in the Milton Keynes area with LPG.
Now there's none...we still have a Shell station a couple of miles away and I know that many other outlets sell it. My concern is that if BP decide to can it, it won't be log before others follow. A garage in Wales told me that they don't do lpg at the pumps now because they make 5 times as much knocking out gas bottles, so the independants are backing out too.
Just have to go to France more often..

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
I think that nobody is preoccupied with BP It's Just a fact that they are moving out of the market and the OP mentioned that's where he was having a problem. However, if the market is shrinking and unprofitable then others could begin to exit in the future.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When I can't find any I might get worried but I don't think that's going to happen and never struggled to find some. The whole point of having a tank or a couple of bottles is that you don't have to be empty to top it up. So you often have many days if not weeks to top up the tank or refill that second bottle on your travels.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Lots of LPG vehicles in France, so lots of GPL pumps. These are all listed in the All the Aires book.
BP garage in Dover still sells it, it's my nearest garage

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Quite a few refrigerated trucks use it so truck-stops tend to stock it. I live in a small market town and there's at least one stockist on each road out of the town - some closer than others.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Like @JockandRita I use the FillLPG Android app. They also have a web site - http://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php. It shows BP Linford Wood as still having LPG (but expensive) in 1 March plus Shell at Leadenhall and Broughton (updated 21 and 30 March respectively) in the Milton Keynes area.
FillLPG updated its data this morning when I switched the phone on and BP Linford Wood no longer shows up so a user must have updated it last night. It works well when users are prepared to do so.

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
I have two "Safefill" bottles and apart from using filling stations when in France I use My local Swift dealer "Brayford Leisure" just off the A46 as you enter Lincoln. He sells Safefill bottles (£149 each} and refills them at 70p a kilo, they hold about 10 kilo They are safe, legal to fill and and have a visible gas level. You really only need one bottle as you can top it up as and when. They really are a sensible and lower priced option to Gaslow and beat Calor in every way. I gather they are beginning to be sold extensively through caravan dealers who will also sell the gas. Look them up on the web.. They automatically cut off the fill when it reaches 80% of capacity which gives you about 10 kilo per bottle.

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Just checked the website, try www easyfill.co.uk apparently they now do about 3 sizes of bottles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back