Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
Just taking a quick look at various LPG alarms, and had no idea that there were so many different types on the market. Still, I don't want to wake up one morning and find that I'm dead...

Is this the kind of thing people are going for?
Isn't charging by USB a bit over the top?

Amazon product ASIN B07DPQ9565

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have smoke and CO detectors you will find that you have some many gas drops that any gas heavier than air will never build up to a fatal amount and all your appliances will shut off if there are no flames

So unless you have a lot of faulty pipework why would you need a LPG Gas detector ???

and £30 is a lot of money

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
LPG detectors need to be near the floor;
CO detector half way up, near where you sleep;
Smoke detector near the roof.
We don't bother with any (I hope this isn't the last you hear from us).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Because I have very little sense of smell I have used gas alarms in a number of situations. I now though depend on a handheld detector to check things over

OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Madcaravanner
Hmm, thinking about it, perhaps I was being overcaurious?
I have a large built in lpg tank and an lpg geherator, but that’s below floor level.
I can see the need for co2 monitoring though.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Tbf, we've got a CO monitor and a noxious gas gauge (yes I bloody fell for that years ago) and also another alarm type thingy fitted and all blooming useless just taking up space. I'd rip them out of they wouldn't leave marks.
If I wake up dead one morning, I'll let you know.
Mind you, I might be in Coventry.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I wouldn’t worry too much about CO2, well other than global warming. However Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the waking up dead one and I put that at the top of my list of alarms.

OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Now I’m really confused. CO is surely only a problem when the engine is running?

Like most normal people, I keep a list of how I’m not going to die: no shark attack, no snapped bungee cord - and many others. Until recently, I hadn’t even considered gas poisoning...

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Now I’m really confused. CO is surely only a problem when the engine is running?

Like most normal people, I keep a list of how I’m not going to die: no shark attack, no snapped bungee cord - and many others. Until recently, I hadn’t even considered gas poisoning...
In a motorhome the likeliest source of CO is a faulty gas appliance. An accidentally blocked ventilator can lead to incomplete combustion which gives rise to CO. It is also why many campsites have notices up about not taking barbecues into awnings, which is because some campers died of CO poisoning after using their bbq to heat the awning. It can make you very ill, if it does not kill you, and has no smell.

OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Point well taken. I’ve read horror stories about tragic accidents. I need to get my head clear.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've got a combined smoke/CO detector. During our recent stay on Twin Lakes it went off for no apparent reason, at first I thought it may have got a whiff of the fridge exhaust vent.

But then Bren said she could smell gas and after investigation I found a tiny gas leak at the back of the fridge - I thought we'd used a lot of gas! Managed to do a temporary repair and now we're home I'll do a proper fix - whilst replacing the fridge 12v element which failed on the way home!

I don't know if it was the gas leak that set off the alarm though.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Cousin plus fiancee had a lucky escape many years ago with one of those heaters powered by calor gas in their flat. She was an air hostess. Only reason they survived was because flatmates' ( also air hostesses ) flights were cancelled due to bad weather so came home, if they'd flown as planned Alison and Glynn would be dead as they were unconscious already. Still gives me the shivers. I know they're all stewards now but in those days they were hostesses.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
LPG alarm requires 12V wired in power to work. That's too much trouble for me.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Have to admit I’m belt, braces and a piece of string!!
Co2 and lpg detectors low down next to bed, smoke alarm on ceiling, then all 3 again at front of van. One lot wired into 12v system, other battery operated.
And no , I’m not an insurance salesman!!

Bill

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In the old days, gas pipes carried 'town gas' which contained a large percentage of CO (carbon monoxide) which is colourless, odourless and deadly in small concentrations. Gas leaks could kill.

Nowadays, gas pipes carry natural gas, LPG, propane or butane, which are not toxic and will not kill you by breathing it in. Of course they are explosive and flammable, so leaks are still a danger, but you won't wake up dead one morning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced by burning, such as in gas or diesel heaters or engine exhausts.

It's always a good idea to have an LPG detector in a vehicle using LPG, but the first priority is to fit CO (carbon monoxide) and smoke detectors in any sleeping area.
So unless you have a lot of faulty pipework why would you need a LPG Gas detector ???
Murphy's Law - if it can go wrong, it will. A compression union nut split on the pipe near the gas tank. All the gas (over 50 litres) leaked out over a few days. It vented harmlessly to the open air, luckily for me. If it had been inside the living area, it would have been a different story. That's why I have an LPG alarm.

By the way, CO2 (carbon dioxide) is harmless.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Cbe lpg alarm in all vans we have had, piece of mind for £70 ish

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Have to admit I’m belt, braces and a piece of string!!
Co2 and lpg detectors low down next to bed, smoke alarm on ceiling, then all 3 again at front of van. One lot wired into 12v system, other battery operated.
And no , I’m not an insurance salesman!!

Bill
You have a battery operated LGP detector? I couldn't find one. I thought they all had to be 12V wired in.

OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have smoke and CO detectors you will find that you have some many gas drops that any gas heavier than air will never build up to a fatal amount and all your appliances will shut off if there are no flames

and £30 is a lot of money

I've settled for this:
Amazon product ASIN B075NQ9MP4

OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
After considering the replies above, I've just ordered:
Amazon product ASIN B00441S9GSand:
Amazon product ASIN B075NQ9MP4I was sold on the idea of a LPG alarm after reading a comment above about a union nut cracking over time. Mind you I was disposed towards one when I got the Moho. A story has stuck with me since my youth when I'd read about a family being blown up in a boat: a lpg leak and the gas settling in the bottom of a boat and being set off by a spark.
I'm booked in for my 96th birthday so I have a casual kind of bucket list, but I also have an 'I'm not going to die that way', which seems a bit more 'edgy'. I can now say that I'm not going to die in my sleep from being gassed.
For those who have neither alarm, I wish you safe sleeping.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Point well taken. I’ve read horror stories about tragic accidents. I need to get my head clear.
With a gas (lpg) appliance CO is produced when the flame is not a clear blue colour. CO2 is produced by everything that burns fuel or breathes (including ourselves) :xsmile:.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just in case anyone is thinking of using a Natural Gas Alarm in their motorhome this is from the Fireangel manual:

MPORTANT: The gas alarm you have purchased is calibrated to detect Natural Gas If your gas supply comes from a portable cylinder or storage tank it is more likely to be propane, butane or a mixture of these two Liquefied Petroleum Gases (LPG) This alarm is not suitable for detecting LPG.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
After considering the replies above, I've just ordered:
Amazon product ASIN B00441S9GSand:
Amazon product ASIN B075NQ9MP4I was sold on the idea of a LPG alarm after reading a comment above about a union nut cracking over time. Mind you I was disposed towards one when I got the Moho. A story has stuck with me since my youth when I'd read about a family being blown up in a boat: a lpg leak and the gas settling in the bottom of a boat and being set off by a spark.
I'm booked in for my 96th birthday so I have a casual kind of bucket list, but I also have an 'I'm not going to die that way', which seems a bit more 'edgy'. I can now say that I'm not going to die in my sleep from being gassed.
For those who have neither alarm, I wish you safe sleeping.
You may wish to think about the purchase of the gas alarm. The Amazon advert makes it clear it is not suitable for LPG.

OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The product of an addled mind: I was surprised at the number of alarms available and made a bad mistake. I wanted an LPG alarm that didn't run off 240V, so I've now chosen the (expensive) one below. I have plenty of USB sockets and will unplug it when I'm out of the moho.
Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. I think I managed to cancel it in time...
Amazon product ASIN B07DPQ9565

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Smoke/LPG/Carbon Monoxide. All hard wired factory fit in most American motorhomes. Makes sense (y)
Now that Thor have bailed Hymer out perhaps they will start fitting them as standard as well!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back