LPG Adapters for Europe which one will i need?? (1 Viewer)

J

Jacknife

Deleted User
Hello Girls and Boys , We are off for a Jaunt to Switzerland and northern Italy, and on our lil Tour Bus we have an underfloor LPG tank with the uk bayonet connector.
My question is which adaptors will i need for Swiss ,italy and Germany. I have looked on some websites and am getting conflicting stories on which type of adaptors i will need, some say none others say a couple different types for each country . can anybody clarify this ?? :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
good evening. i imagine you will need the french cup +the acme thread. never go anywhere with out both ,dont get caught out. never understand why we changed from acme here in uk .calor still use it to fill your domestic tanks.

OP
OP
J

Jacknife

Deleted User
Cheers for that Alan, there seems to be so many formats about its baffling,
i just didnt want to get into Swiss and get a big "nein" at the tankstelle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
from what i recall there arent that many lpg stations in switzerland, i know i always ensured my domestic lpg tank was full before i crossed the border when i stayed a few weeks in switzerland.

buy the adaptors when you are there btw, a lot cheaper than they sell for over here, i got my french/italian cup adaptor from an autoroute service station, in the trucking section!! something like 4 euro's, this was a few years ago, but to buy one before i went in england was about 15 quid.

same with the acme thread for germany, think i got that one from a diy shop.... they all have an automotive section selling batteries, oils, filters etc, (watch out if you buy a lead acid battery in germany, there's a disposal charge added onto the buying price, we bought a little 38AH battery for the canoes electric outboard, had just enough cash to buy it at the price shown on the shelf, then when scanned it added a 15 euro surcharge.

i've also seen the lpg adaptors in german motorhome shops for a little bit more than in the diy shop, but still a lot less than in england.

before i bought my acme adaptor, i had no problems borrowint the filling stations one, they all seem to have a set of adaptors over there, some have a nice plastic box with every adaptor ever seen in the foam inserts, and just offer you the box to choose the one you need.

i assume your dutch bayonet fitting has the internal threads for adaptors, some dont and you need to use a bayonet adaptor... i.e. one that twists over the outside of the filler like a uk or dutch pump does, those are a lot more expensive, and cumbersome to use, but 95% of dutch bayonet fillers on tanks have the internal threads for adapting to the local fill connector in use.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Oh yeah, just to add to the types used in countries,

in england we use the dutch bayonet, which is also in use in holland (funnily enough :)
that was introduced to replace the acme filler we used to use as an attempt to have a universal filler throughout europe.... as usual england tries to do something that's touted to be euro wide, then the rest of europe dont bother.

france and italy use a the cup filler (a weird filler that is like a dish with an internal lip, the nozzle has a 3 way expanding ring to make the seal as the trigger is pressed)

but i have used dutch bayonet fillers in france, sometimes you find one pump has a cup nozzle, the other pump has a dutch bayonet... near borders you'll find this the most...near the german border expect to find some acme fillers too.

Germany is totally acme filler, as is austria (the big screw thread), but like i mentioned above, germany is very good in having a range of adaptors available to borrow, i only bought my acme adaptor on my last trip there, the past 2 years i borrowed adaptors, never found anywhere that couldent lend me one.
Austria also uses the acme filler (and is usually cheaper for fuel than germany)

i'm pretty certian the one lpg filling station in switzerland we did find used the dutch bayonet, but like i said, i found them few and far between, so i filled up all tanks before i entered switzerland.

Oh yeah, i assume you know the terms for LPG in the different countries??

France it's GPL, Germany it's sometimes called lpg on the price board, but 'flussigas' is usually what's on the pumps (usually with a picture of a hot air baloon), you dont want 'Erdgas' that's CNG..... compressed Natural Gas) and if you go near Berlin, the aral station near the 'messe' make sure you dont fill with hydrogen :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jacknife

Deleted User
Many thanks for that ,my Bayonet has the internal threads.
Glad you mentioned the terms Gpl and Flussigas or could have been
a bit tricky i think.

as for the Hydrogen i wasnt planning on going to Berlin however me and the Mrs
have an idea it would cook the food quicker on the barbeque :ROFLMAO:

I feel new eybrows coming on ! :cry:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
as for the Hydrogen i wasnt planning on going to Berlin however me and the Mrs
have an idea it would cook the food quicker on the barbeque :ROFLMAO:

oh yes, cooks a lot faster than boring old lpg, but you need a ladder to get your food, as the bbq will be floating above the van :Blush:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Link Removed

You can also get a handbook of autogas refilling points if you wish.

Link Removed

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Oh yeah, just to add to the types used in countries,

in england we use the dutch bayonet, which is also in use in holland (funnily enough :)
that was introduced to replace the acme filler we used to use as an attempt to have a universal filler throughout europe.... as usual england tries to do something that's touted to be euro wide, then the rest of europe dont bother.

france and italy use a the cup filler (a weird filler that is like a dish with an internal lip, the nozzle has a 3 way expanding ring to make the seal as the trigger is pressed)

but i have used dutch bayonet fillers in france, sometimes you find one pump has a cup nozzle, the other pump has a dutch bayonet... near borders you'll find this the most...near the german border expect to find some acme fillers too.

Germany is totally acme filler, as is austria (the big screw thread), but like i mentioned above, germany is very good in having a range of adaptors available to borrow, i only bought my acme adaptor on my last trip there, the past 2 years i borrowed adaptors, never found anywhere that couldent lend me one.
Austria also uses the acme filler (and is usually cheaper for fuel than germany)

i'm pretty certian the one lpg filling station in switzerland we did find used the dutch bayonet, but like i said, i found them few and far between, so i filled up all tanks before i entered switzerland.

Oh yeah, i assume you know the terms for LPG in the different countries??

France it's GPL, Germany it's sometimes called lpg on the price board, but 'flussigas' is usually what's on the pumps (usually with a picture of a hot air baloon), you dont want 'Erdgas' that's CNG..... compressed Natural Gas) and if you go near Berlin, the aral station near the 'messe' make sure you dont fill with hydrogen :)

That puts thing's in perspective :thumb:

Thanks for the info

Bet the hydrogen costs a bomb:Eeek:

Regards

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bet the hydrogen costs a bomb:Eeek:

you certianly get more bang for your buck.... lol

it's 8 euros a Kgm when we were last there, how they measure the kilo i dont know, a set of scales in the pump, but the hydrogen being lighter than air must bugger that idea up.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
you certianly get more bang for your buck.... lol

it's 8 euros a Kgm when we were last there, how they measure the kilo i dont know, a set of scales in the pump, but the hydrogen being lighter than air must bugger that idea up.

Do you get free gravity boots :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
is there an adapter that will allow the new euro nozzle to fill my onboard tank ?
Im hoping to stay near malaga for a while and the adaptor at the station only worked on me main engine tanks.
02052010290-1.jpg

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
good evening. i imagine you will need the french cup +the acme thread. never go anywhere with out both ,dont get caught out. never understand why we changed from acme here in uk .calor still use it to fill your domestic tanks.

Alan, have you got one of the non return Spanish one's yet?

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi doug. no i didnt see any for sale .but every gas pump i saw i asked and they had adaptors to lend. i cant quite see if winnis as internal thread to take an adaptor or if the acme can be unscrewed to allow other fittings. just as a matter of interest he would be better getting a spanish bottle for domesticuse as its cheaper than gpl.and more available. chat to a delivery driver of bottles 15 e deposit 10e for gas.no questions asked. either repsol or cepsa.
cheers alan
ps i have found some of the 20mm adaptors on ebay that fit some of the french clip on bottles ,may get one ,they convert clip on to our old butane thread.i can fill from that.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thanks mike a nother usefull site .winnie may have to adapt to uk banet then euro filler as it does look like his acme as no internal thread .i didnt see an acme to euro adaptor but i could be wrong. better price than the ones talked about last november. cheers alan.
i still say use a spanish bottle because its cheaper.

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
yeah it is an external thread, is it acme ? in the UK I usually attach a bayonette. I considered going down the domestic bottle route but got a bit scared when it came to disconnecting the copper piping.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back