LPG accident in Portimao, Portugal (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
until this one instance at the same pump as the other guy in Portugal.

Yeah... do you know it was the same pump... I was sure you told me you didn't remember...

Now, if it is the Galp Gas station close to the Marina site then it is one I have used many, many times both before and after your mishap...

and as there have been months and months and months between your accident and this latest gentleman's one.. I repeat what I posted above...

I doubt it was the pump.

But, as everyone knows, I might be mistaken.

Just saying...

JJ :cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yeah... do you know it was the same pump... I was sure you told me you didn't remember...

Now if it is the Galp Gas station close to the Marina site then it is one I have used many, many times both before and after your mishap...

and as there have been months and months and months between your accident and this latest gentleman's one.. I repeat what I posted above...

I doubt it was the pump.

But, as everyone knows, I might be mistaken.

Just saying...

Did you find out if there is a leggy blonde in the vicinity.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Did you find out if there is a leggy blonde in the vicinity.

Come on Mr Dave, behave... you know I wouldn't notice things like that... I only have eyes for one woman (small, beautiful, French and younger than me). ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Come on Mr Dave... you know I wouldn't notice things like that... I only have eyes for one woman (small, French and younger than me). ;)

Keep up with the meds my man:D.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well that could explain things. Me, I've never had one that did not work.

The BIG selling point of the Euro-connector is zero loss inserting and withdrawing.
Only ever come across one pump with a Euro connector, that was Granada in Spain, other filling stations and countries it has been bayonet , dish or ACME.

Reactions: JJ
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nothing else except euro connecters around here ? Or anywhere else I've used in Spain. Only used dish in France

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Come on Mr Dave, behave... you know I wouldn't notice things like that... I only have eyes for one woman (small, beautiful, French and younger than me). ;)

Lets face facts my dear friend. With the odd exception all women are smaller, more beautiful and much younger than you :love:.

May 19, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Migrateur
Exp
That's why I like most of the filling stations in Spain as they usually do it for you, but there is some good points brought up that we usually don't think about.
Whiskeymac

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So, just looking on Amazon to buy a pair as am now freaked out - never like filling the gas anyway - any recommendations as prices vary wildly!??
Buy some protective glasses or goggles whilst you are at it. A big gas escape going into your eyes would be bad news.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Quite odd. You normally connect then walk away and press the pump button.
I filled up, at a BP I think, off the A1 last month. I connected but the trigger lock would not work. I asked for help from staff and a guy came out and said I had to hold the trigger open with one hand and push the button with the other.
He did it for me otherwise I think I would have driven away without filling. Is there a regulation?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Having arrived in Silves, I have talked with the man mentioned in the article in the OP, who had the accident filling his gas bottle.

The actual man himself. A well known and well liked motorhomer.

As far as I can tell from his description and that of another guy he also told the story to, it is a tale of almost unbelievable errors and mistakes made by inexperience and lack of understanding.

First, the van was new to the guy. He had bought it PRIVATELY. The seller had explained to him how to refill his gas bottles. I don't think he did this very well!

The gas bottles were NOT filled via a fitting in the van wall.

A bottle refilling adapter came with the van. This adapter DID NOT have a non return valve in it.

The man had not refilled gas before, and did NOT know about the 2 litres per kilo rule.

He had two gas bottles. When one ran out he fitted the full one. The two bottles were in the locker next to his fridge.

He arrived at the fuel station and connected the cowboy adapter to the empty bottle.

He fitted the pump to the cowboy adapter.

He did NOT turn off the other gas bottle that was running his fridge at the time.

He pressed the delivery button on the pump which was out of arm reach from the head of the gun.

The bottle filled but, at some stage, the pump head came out of the cowboy adapter and gas started spraying out of the bottle.

Being approximately ten inches from the fridge vent, this gas ignited and shot flames out, towards the garage holding tank and equipment.

In an understandable panic, he reached through the flames and turned off the gas tap on the bottle sustaining severe burns to his arm and face.

The garage pump sustained damage and the whole thing has since been replaced.

His van was unharmed.

He is a tad nervous about refilling gas bottles.

There was absolutely nothing wrong or faulty with the garage pump or fittings.

They have new equipment now and, having used this garage scores and scores of times over the years, and always chatting up the delightful (mature) ladies at the cash desk with offers of marriage etc, I hope I can talk them into letting me use the gas pump on my Hymer... it was gas at a good price, especially with discount vouchers from Continente.

Fingers crossed.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Having arrived in Silves, I have talked with the man mentioned in the article in the OP, who had the accident filling his gas bottle.

The actual man himself. A well known and well liked motorhomer.

As far as I can tell from his description and that of another guy he also told the story to, it is a tale of almost unbelievable errors and mistakes made by inexperience and lack of understanding.

First, the van was new to the guy. He had bought it PRIVATELY. The seller had explained to him how to refill his gas bottles. I don't think he did this very well!

The gas bottles were NOT filled via a fitting in the van wall.

A bottle refilling adapter came with the van. This adapter DID NOT have a non return valve in it.

The man had not refilled gas before, and did NOT know about the 2 litres per kilo rule.

He had two gas bottles. When one ran out he fitted the full one. The two bottles were in the locker next to his fridge.

He arrived at the fuel station and connected the cowboy adapter to the empty bottle.

He fitted the pump to the cowboy adapter.

He did NOT turn off the other gas bottle that was running his fridge at the time.

He pressed the delivery button on the pump which was out of arm reach from the head of the gun.

The bottle filled but, at some stage, the pump head came out of the cowboy adapter and gas started spraying out of the bottle.

Being approximately ten inches from the fridge vent, this gas ignited and shot flames out, towards the garage holding tank and equipment.

In an understandable panic, he reached through the flames and turned off the gas tap on the bottle sustaining severe burns to his arm and face.

The garage pump sustained damage and the whole thing has since been replaced.

His van was unharmed.

He is a tad nervous about refilling gas bottles.

There was absolutely nothing wrong or faulty with the garage pump or fittings.

They have new equipment now and, having used this garage scores and scores of times over the years, and always chatting up the delightful (mature) ladies at the cash desk with offers of marriage etc, I hope I can talk them into letting me use the gas pump on my Hymer... it was gas at a good price, especially with discount vouchers from Continente.

Fingers crossed.

That must have been one very scary moment....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Still a good heads up to consider using gloves.
I've put that on my to-buy list (actually, it's the START of my to-buy list, also goggles as suggested) for my new van when it comes next year, as it will have an underslung refillable tank.
Thank you all for the warning - I've learned a lot from this thread. As well as realising how many more questions I have on LPG.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I still think if you need gloves and safety glasses to fill with GPL then you are better just forgetting the idea and exchange bottles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I still think if you need gloves and safety glasses to fill with GPL then you are better just forgetting the idea and exchange bottles.
Gloves yes, goggles no as that would be OTT and certainly draw attention to what you are doing! If you wanted you could wear some discrete safety glasses though.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I was very pleased to have my gloves on a few weeks ago when I tried to refill my Gaslow bottles in France.
There must have been a faulty seal on the pump nozzle as when I tried to connect to the outside filler gas sprayed everywhere, including my hands.
That was just from the residual pressure in the pipes, before the fill button could be pressed.
It proved the necessity of good gloves to me. Until I read about the Portimao incident a few months ago I hadn't bothered with gloves most of the time.
Now I always wear them.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
...and don't forget to wear overalls every time you put fuel in your vehicle... you don't want to spill any on your clothes.

The difference is that if you spill fuel it is unlikely to cause you any major harm, if any at all, but if you get LPG on you it can cause severe immediate injuries ... I'll keep wearing my gloves!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
.....and a modified paper clip wedged into a window rubber seal makes a handy cigarette holder for using whilst you're refilling (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh dear...

As I can't see your face JJ (some would say that's a blessing! :rolleyes: ) I couldn't tell if you were being silly or serious in your other post ... so erred on the side of 'serious' ... perhaps I should have assumed silly .... :xgrin:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ms Minxy... I must confess, I find it very interesting that you choose to take the trouble to explain to me the difference between possible harm caused by spillage of LPG and that of fuel. I presume this means you think I wouldn't know it already.

PS. Please note, with great respect of course, the absence of any rude personal comments about appearance in this post. ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ms Minxy... I must confess, I find it very interesting that you choose to take the trouble to explain to me the difference between possible harm caused by spillage of LPG and that of fuel. I presume this means you think I wouldn't know it already.

PS. Please note, with great respect of course, the absence of any rude personal comments about appearance in this post. ;)
But JJ I wasn't just 'talking' to you ... you know of course as you've been knocking around MHs for a long time but others don't so may not realise HOW you meant your post to come across (however you still think there's meat in FB pies ... so some of your knowledge appears to be 'questionable':whistle:)....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back