LPG - 24hr availability in France? (1 Viewer)

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
As most of you know...
When a petrol station in France offers 24hr fuel it is usually unmanned and payment by card.

Is pumped LPG available in the same way?? I have never bought LPG abroad before and have never taken any notice if the LPG pump can be used the same with a card or is it only available when attendant is there.

I am looking at travelling down trough France over Christmas :Smile: so other than Autoroutes all garages will be closed

Any experience out there?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I sit to be corrected as always, but surely the Autoroute petrol stations are always manned, only the supermarkets etc have the pumps you bung money in? If you are relying on LPG as van fuel, I'd say best to check with fuel cos really.

We only use LPG for cooking etc and have to say this has never so far come up cos it (normally) lasts us so long.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have bought LPG many times in Europe but I don't ever recall seeing a card being accepted at the LPG pump. I always fill my tank when the opportunity arises, even if it only a couple of Euros

Is there any way of checking on the web sites of the companies that run the auto tolls? Might worth a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We have bought LPG many times in Europe but I don't ever recall seeing a card being accepted at the LPG pump. I always fill my tank when the opportunity arises, even if it only a couple of Euros

Is there any way of checking on the web sites of the companies that run the auto tolls? Might worth a look.

Thats my point as I was not planning on using Peage roads. Although I may have to pop on for short distance to get LPG fuel:Angry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As most of you know...
When a petrol station in France offers 24hr fuel it is usually unmanned and payment by card.

Is pumped LPG available in the same way?? I have never bought LPG abroad before and have never taken any notice if the LPG pump can be used the same with a card or is it only available when attendant is there.

I am looking at travelling down trough France over Christmas :Smile: so other than Autoroutes all garages will be closed

Any experience out there?

Afraid I can't help with your question, but do you find these machines accept any of your cards, as when I've tried them in the past they only seem to accept French bank cards. Bearing in mind past experiences I haven't actually tried one for some years. Have they improved?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have bought LPG many times in Europe but I don't ever recall seeing a card being accepted at the LPG pump..

funny you should mention that-in the Marne region I stopped to buy LPG,and couldnt figure why the pump wouldnt work-I went to the caisse and Madame said she wanted either my card or cash up front before I could use the pump-this was on an auto route- I gave her 40 euros and she turned pump on,I filled with 17 euros and she gave me the change. Mike

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Afraid I can't help with your question, but do you find these machines accept any of your cards, as when I've tried them in the past they only seem to accept French bank cards. Bearing in mind past experiences I haven't actually tried one for some years. Have they improved?

I haven't had any problems with cards in recent years. Always just put my pin in the same as UK. Hope I am not tempting fate :winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
funny you should mention that-in the Marne region I stopped to buy LPG,and couldnt figure why the pump wouldnt work-I went to the caisse and Madame said she wanted either my card or cash up front before I could use the pump-this was on an auto route- I gave her 40 euros and she turned pump on,I filled with 17 euros and she gave me the change. Mike
Common practice to be avioded if at all possible, keep your card in sight at all times
Some folk carry a duff or expired card to hand over to petrol attendants:thumb:
Geo

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No - we have found they worked too. However some of em you have to put card in beforehand and enter a max amount, then you take the card out; the pump is now turned on so you fillup and it only actually debits your card with how much you actually use.

We were just about to take a hatchet to one in a small town somewhere or another one Sunday when a very very nice French lady explained to Pete what he needed to do!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Correction

Just read what Jenny wrote and she is a little off the beam! The petrol pump has a set limit of 99 euro's. You have to put your card in enter your pin and withdraw your card then for the pump to switch on. Seems odd but thats how they work!

Have never seen a 24 hour LPG pump though, so best to fill your tanks during the daytime. Or the peage is your only other option 24 hours but you will pay considerably more for your gas and also your diesel!!

Like here supermarkets are always the cheapest option.

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Have never seen a 24 hour LPG pump though, so best to fill your tanks during the daytime. Or the peage is your only other option 24 hours but you will pay considerably more for your gas and also your diesel!!

I think that will be the way to go. Hopefully the non-toll autoroute's Clermont Ferrand to Beziers petrol stations will be open Christmas Day. Otherwise I will be switching to petrol :cry:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Gary, we always go in January and we went Clermont Ferrand a couple of years ago, just watch the weather the roads were really bad Snow and Ice, we always go Rouen / Le Mans / Bordeaux and the weather is a lot better, we had Snow all the way down through France this year but being lower not the Ice, ::bigsmile: something we can do without towing our car on a trailer. :Doh: And must point out Clermont Ferrand was the only time we have known the LPG pump to be frozen, it would not lock on our adaptor without leaking and not pressurising. :Doh: Bob.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just read what Jenny wrote and she is a little off the beam! The petrol pump has a set limit of 99 euro's. You have to put your card in enter your pin and withdraw your card then for the pump to switch on. Seems odd but thats how they work!

That's how Tesco pumps work, if you use the pay at the pump option.

Olley

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think that will be the way to go. Hopefully the non-toll autoroute's Clermont Ferrand to Beziers petrol stations will be open Christmas Day. Otherwise I will be switching to petrol :cry:

It'll be a treat for the V10 to run on petrol for a change. Mind you I always flinch a bit at burning petrol at around 14 mpg :Eeek:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
You are absolutely correct there Olley they do. However for morons like me its quite easy to follow the instructions at a Tesco pump, whereas my understanding of the French language is sorely lacking.

I have, since having it explained to me used this type of pump on several occasions, rather than sitting on the supermarket carpark for a couple of hours waiting for them to have their lunch break because I didn't risk going any further in case we ran out of Diesel. LOL

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Lebesset has answered my question and it may be of use to others

It is illegal in France to sell LPG from an unattended pump/site. So would never normally be available on a 24hr basis or Public holidays unless it is manned. ie Motorway services.

Bouncer123

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
The New Forest
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
6 years
LPG in France

Hi Gary, you may remember us, in Hymer, we stayed at your lovely little Cl back in the summer. We are in the south of France now, near Grimaud, having travelled through France via the Xmas markets at Aachen and Koln. Do not worry too much about travelliing over the Christmas period so long as you leave with a full tank of LPG from the UK, as our gas lasted for two weeks in a very bad spell of cold wet and often snowy weather. Thanks to contributor (can't remember name and don't know how to get back!) for advice re returning - think we will do the Bordeaux, Le mans route rather than Clermont Ferrand.

Hope all goes well for you on your trip, Gary, we are heading off for Cannes, Nice and possibly Ligurian coast of Italy but if we see you we will wave!!

Happy Christmas to all Funsters.::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we pop on and off the motorways

We try to avoid toll roads.. but prefer to travel at night.. we take on LPG where ever we need it.. just used for the fridge and cooking and heating.. we also pop on and off the motorways as needed so we can get fuel.. do not like using the card machines at night in case there is a problem... I pay cash and that way I do not have an issue at the motorway fuel stations.. not all have LPG, but a good number do. I have a couple of road maps that show what stations are LPG'd and which are not...

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Gary, you may remember us, in Hymer, we stayed at your lovely little Cl back in the summer. We are in the south of France now, near Grimaud, having travelled through France via the Xmas markets at Aachen and Koln. Do not worry too much about travelliing over the Christmas period so long as you leave with a full tank of LPG from the UK, as our gas lasted for two weeks in a very bad spell of cold wet and often snowy weather. Thanks to contributor (can't remember name and don't know how to get back!) for advice re returning - think we will do the Bordeaux, Le mans route rather than Clermont Ferrand.

Hope all goes well for you on your trip, Gary, we are heading off for Cannes, Nice and possibly Ligurian coast of Italy but if we see you we will wave!!

Happy Christmas to all Funsters.::bigsmile:

Hi to you both,

Great to hear from you and that you are having a good trip. My concern over LPG was because we will be travelling in RV with LPG conversion and about a 300 mile range. Can still use petrol if necessary but would rather not. Sue had been badgering all year to get an RV so anything for a peaceful life :thumb:
Don't be rushing back to UK. It has been freezing here since we came back in November and no end in sight. My sister in law on Costa Blanca said it was 22 degrees today so that is where I am headin for January.:sin:
Take care and maybe see you again before too long

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back