Lowdhams & Lunar....A Warning (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You think that's bad. We live on the Isle of Man so £250 ferry before we start.

Ahh the joys of living on an exclusive Island :D

Look on the bright side, we mainlanders get our pants pulled down booking the Steam Racket Ferry :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The motorhome should be of a quality you would expect.

Now there's a whole new discussion.

How many people buy a British built van blindly believing the dealer's bullshit that they're purchasing a high end luxury vehicle when in fact they've been conned into parting with their cash for a bottom of the market Friday afternoon pup.

Where does buyer beware kick in? Is it not down to the buyer to decide in advance whether their definition of "high end luxury" is the same as the manufacturers and the dealers?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Well perhaps we should also talk about the Approved Dealer Scheme. The only cheques that are done are the yearly subs IMO.

The following is lifted from their site. It's a Trade Body supported by the TRADE ..

The NCC Approved Dealership scheme is an initiative to pride peace of mind for consumers when considering buying a motorhome or tourer and to reduce business risks for NCC member dealers. At the scheme’s heart are two new Consumer Codes of Practice for Motorhome and Tourer Sales respectively. The Codes establish a benchmark for industry best practice and standards which are then monitored and policed through the NCC Approved Dealership scheme.

By being NCC Approved and complying with the Consumer Code of Practice, a Dealership can demonstrate to existing and potential customers that it makes a conscious and tangible commitment to protect their interests. The main principles of the Code are to:

• Treat consumers fairly
  • Provide greater consumer protection and rights than required by law
  • Deliver high levels of customer satisfaction
  • Ensure access to low cost independent redress

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I had significant issues with a brand new Motorhome and made the mistake of buying from a dealer some 240 miles away.

Made a long list of faults and booked it into the dealer (12 weeks in advance ) for rectification.

We drove down the night before and stayed on a local site, dropped the van off and spent a day walking shopping etc, picked it up at end of day and found only 2 items out of 8 had been dealt with.... they said leave the van with them for a week and they would finish it off.... err how do we and our dog get home? Will you pay for the train and taxi fare? No...

One of the items was a new bathroom door which needed replacing.. they had preserved the wrong one and it would take 3 weeks for a new one to be delivered...they said they would ring when it was in and then book the van in for the door and other 5 outstanding issues to be rectified. 4 weeks later had heard nothing..I rang ... told still waiting for the door... 3 weeks later... I rang ... still waiting for the door...

Losing the plot at this point.... I rang the Manufacturer... Customer services checked and found dealer had not placed an order....

Grr... rang the dealers, e-mailed the dealers... no response. In the intervening weeks another significant fault appeared.... a leaking roof...

Due to lack of response from dealer, contacted manufacturer and asked them to sort out the problems, initially fobbed me off with the "contract is with the dealer"...however, using the Consumer Act and even though it was outside of the 30 day full refund period, I persisted citing "my right to reject". After 2 months of legal letters etc ( not one response from the dealer...), and advising the manufacturer that I was going to co-join them in court action with the dealer, the manufacturer picked up my van and spent 6 weeks putting it right at their factory. They paid for a hire car for me to visit the factory (paid for overnight accomodation too) to inspect the Motorhome before accepting it back. They paid my petrol for return trip and also a compensatory sum

Touching wood, the Motorhome is now tickety boo, but was a lot of hassle, however I would say to the OP, persevere and drag the manufacturer into it whether they like it or not.

Good luck

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Interesting post, however, I believe that a warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
I have bought all sorts of vehicles, motorcycles, cars, vans, 4x4s, sports cars, even garage contents and a fire engine once from auctions. Never a problem, IF you know what you are looking for, and looking at.
I have been in and dealing with the motor trade for a very long time, so it helps.
I have bought cars, motorcycles, motorhomes, and RVs privately too. Again never a problem. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
I can understand people buying from a dealer, either new, or used, as the feeling of 'security' is paramount especially if the buyer isn't familiar with the workings, and idiosyncrasies of a vehicle.

Craig
This is exactly my take on this, havnt got into this before because it all seemed to be about dealers, which I don't do, motorhome ing to me is an on going repair or modify hobby , when buying anything like these you should think , now how much is it going to cost if a door falls off or the toilet stops working , buying second hand private cuts out all this dealer warranty malarkey, there has been thousands of examples of dealers not doing what they said they would so why bother, find a van that is maybe 5 grand less than the same thing at a dealers and keep it in reserve for anything to go wrong , if nothing does go wrong you are a winner.
No help to the op I know , but useful for future purchases.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I had significant issues with a brand new Motorhome and made the mistake of buying from a dealer some 240 miles away.

Made a long list of faults and booked it into the dealer (12 weeks in advance ) for rectification.

We drove down the night before and stayed on a local site, dropped the van off and spent a day walking shopping etc, picked it up at end of day and found only 2 items out of 8 had been dealt with.... they said leave the van with them for a week and they would finish it off.... err how do we and our dog get home? Will you pay for the train and taxi fare? No...

One of the items was a new bathroom door which needed replacing.. they had preserved the wrong one and it would take 3 weeks for a new one to be delivered...they said they would ring when it was in and then book the van in for the door and other 5 outstanding issues to be rectified. 4 weeks later had heard nothing..I rang ... told still waiting for the door... 3 weeks later... I rang ... still waiting for the door...

Losing the plot at this point.... I rang the Manufacturer... Customer services checked and found dealer had not placed an order....

Grr... rang the dealers, e-mailed the dealers... no response. In the intervening weeks another significant fault appeared.... a leaking roof...

Due to lack of response from dealer, contacted manufacturer and asked them to sort out the problems, initially fobbed me off with the "contract is with the dealer"...however, using the Consumer Act and even though it was outside of the 30 day full refund period, I persisted citing "my right to reject". After 2 months of legal letters etc ( not one response from the dealer...), and advising the manufacturer that I was going to co-join them in court action with the dealer, the manufacturer picked up my van and spent 6 weeks putting it right at their factory. They paid for a hire car for me to visit the factory (paid for overnight accomodation too) to inspect the Motorhome before accepting it back. They paid my petrol for return trip and also a compensatory sum

Touching wood, the Motorhome is now tickety boo, but was a lot of hassle, however I would say to the OP, persevere and drag the manufacturer into it whether they like it or not.

Good luck

But why should you have to go through all this when buying a new van ? If I was buying a new van (transit) for work I wouldn't have all this malarkey.

I still think used is the way to go, then all the problems should have been sorted. I've only bought one MH and got a 2009 Hymer private, paid £27000, an enormous amount of money. But we've had a few problems that I've sorted myself. Warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I've read through this thread and it supports my view to do your homework, inspect thoroughly and buy privately.

You will save many thousands of pounds which you will have available to put right any issues, by a repairer of your choice.

If you are not confident to examine the vehicle yourself, there are professionals available to help.

I quite like taking responsibility for my own decisions good or not so good :)

Andrew

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
It wasn't my intention to post anything more on this thread just me faffing about hence the full stop sorry about that.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Now there's a whole new discussion.

How many people buy a British built van blindly believing the dealer's bullshit that they're purchasing a high end luxury vehicle when in fact they've been conned into parting with their cash for a bottom of the market Friday afternoon pup.

Where does buyer beware kick in? Is it not down to the buyer to decide in advance whether their definition of "high end luxury" is the same as the manufacturers and the dealers?

Quite a ridiculous statement..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Quite a ridiculous statement..

Why is it?

Whose definition of "high end luxury" is correct? The buyer or the seller? It doesn't matter what the product is.

Is it not down to the buyer to satisfy themselves that their expectation matches the reality of what they're buying before they buy rather than whine about it afterwards?

Or are you saying that people who deliberately buy the cheapest product they can find are justified in complaining when they find out it isn't as good as the more expensive options?

Forget motorhomes for a minute. This can apply to any product anywhere.

Reactions: JJ
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't all products have to pass the 'fit for purpose' test regardless of price?

Products have to be fit for purpose yes but they don't all have to be finished to the same standard.

Unfit for purpose means you are completely unable to use the product as it's designed and marketed to be used. A cabinet not fitted square doesn't stop you from using it.

It's easier to explain in terms of cars.

Would you expect a Dacia Sandero (or any other car costing less than 10k brand new) to be finished to the same standard, using the same materials, as a Rolls Royce? Both are fit for purpose.

You wouldn't buy a Dacia and then complain that the interior wasn't hand finished by 50 craftsmen in duckling leather and 1000 year old walnut or whatever it is RR use. Saying that reading this thread I'm beginning to think a lot of Funsters would do just that :whistle::rolleyes:

A lot of the crappy finishing on lower end motorhomes is just the way they do things to meet the price points they've set. It doesn't on it's own make them unfit for purpose unless it causes a secondary problem such as a leak.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Why is it?

Whose definition of "high end luxury" is correct? The buyer or the seller? It doesn't matter what the product is.

Is it not down to the buyer to satisfy themselves that their expectation matches the reality of what they're buying before they buy rather than whine about it afterwards?

Or are you saying that people who deliberately buy the cheapest product they can find are justified in complaining when they find out it isn't as good as the more expensive options?

Forget motorhomes for a minute. This can apply to any product anywhere.

Your post was ridiculous because once again you attack British built vans but no surprise there.... Try a different less boring angle.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your post was ridiculous because once again you attack British built vans but no surprise there.... Try a different less boring angle.

Low end v high end. If you buy as cheaply as possible but expect the best possible quality it's almost always going to end it tears.

Not in any way intended to be an attack on British motorhomes. I don't need to attack them, they seem to be getting on quite nicely without my help judging by this and several other recent threads. (y)

EDIT:

I suppose the fact that for the most part the British converters occupy the low to mid range of the market while the high end is taken up for the most part by foreign converters might make the comparison seem like an attack on British vans but it wasn't this time (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It really is a case of you get what you pay for, I've always been more inclined to buy a better brand used than a cheaper brand new

I'd buy a 3 year old Audi before I'd buy a brand new Renault

And I bought a 9 year old frankia before buying a new British built motorhome.

That said even the Frankia is not built to withstand the same level of wear and tear and use as household fittings are, motorhome interiors are built to be lightweight etc so things get broken a lot easier and I think a lot of people new to motorhomes and caravans don't appreciate that, if people are hashy with the fittings they will break easily, the motorhome is constantly subjected to vibration, bumps around the road, rotten weather etc they require constant upkeep and maintenance regardless of how much they cost

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Low end v high end. If you buy as cheaply as possible but expect the best possible quality it's almost always going to end it tears.

Not in any way intended to be an attack on British motorhomes. I don't need to attack them, they seem to be getting on quite nicely without my help judging by this and several other recent threads. (y)

EDIT:

I suppose the fact that for the most part the British converters occupy the low to mid range of the market while the high end is taken up for the most part by foreign converters might make the comparison seem like an attack on British vans but it wasn't this time (y)

do you really think thats true

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

Not in any way intended to be an attack on British motorhomes. I don't need to attack them, they seem to be getting on quite nicely without my help judging by this and several other recent thread.,

do you really think thats true,

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'd buy a 3 year old Audi before I'd buy a brand new Renault

But how many of the supposed upmarket "brands" are actually that?
I've had more issues on BMW and Audi than on Hyundai (all broadly equivalent cars) but the Hyundai being less than half the cost, 5 year warranty and 5 year road recovery included. Guess what, bet the bl***y thing doesn't start tomorrow! Only other marque I've had as reliable was Saab back in early 90's.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Not in any way intended to be an attack on British motorhomes. I don't need to attack them, they seem to be getting on quite nicely without my help judging by this and several other recent thread.,

do you really think thats true,

Yes.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
This is exactly my take on this, havnt got into this before because it all seemed to be about dealers, which I don't do, motorhome ing to me is an on going repair or modify hobby , when buying anything like these you should think , now how much is it going to cost if a door falls off or the toilet stops working , buying second hand private cuts out all this dealer warranty malarkey, there has been thousands of examples of dealers not doing what they said they would so why bother, find a van that is maybe 5 grand less than the same thing at a dealers and keep it in reserve for anything to go wrong , if nothing does go wrong you are a winner.
No help to the op I know , but useful for future purchases.
I reckon the same goes for habitation checks too. Money down the drain and you could (like us) end up with a damaged m/h, all done by a supposedly reputable dealer. So now its the Small Claims Courts unless they cough up.:(

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
where's the sakes head, and walks away because you dont know wtf your talking about emoy when you want it. you get what you pay for .
but german or (insert other countries here)and pay well over the odd or buy british, you may need to add the odd screw,but MOST of the stuff inside is the same....think about it.
night ngiht

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back