Lowdhams & Lunar....A Warning (1 Viewer)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@mitrepooc it is obvious that you are unhappy with the service that you have received from both the supplier and the manufacturer and is causing you some distress. The advice you have been given by @NickNic may not be what you want to hear but might indicate that a "softer " approach would serve you better.

You have been offered to return the van to the factory at Preston which you have declined, why not take up this offer and include this in a general tour of the area visiting the lake district for instance. Ask if Lunar/Lowdams will pay for the fuel for the return journey. A visit to the factory may not only solve your problems but may also prevent similar problems for future purchasers of lunar vehicles.
If after your visit you are still unhappy at least you have given them the opportunity to fix things and you can continue on your current course knowing that you have been reasonable, and you will have had a holiday.

Whichever way you go good luck.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It was secondhand when you bought it so perhaps the original owner was not impressed with the standard of work. It's hardly a top of the range MH .. Possibly think they are but they are along way behind the likes of Hymer etc. Part of having a MH is the fun in trying to work out whats going to fall off next. Our Swift was like that. Every time we went out something else came unglued or just pulled apart. The Pilote had a bed over the seating area which refused on more than one occasion to come down. It rattled so you had to put cushions on the bed and then make sure the bed was fully up. It also squeaked a lot. Far more than the Swift which it replaced. The bed failed finally on a two week holiday it just had to happen so after 10 months from new we got shut and bought our present MH. Few problems but we have a great Dealer to sort them. They reply to emails and are more than happy to work from photographs. Unfortunately we need a new awning as the one that is on has a top lid that blows up if it gets windy. Sent a photo from down in Spain and have arranged to have it fitted next week.

So who are these people .. Southdown Motorhomes / Laika ( Part of Hymer ) made in Italy

I had problems with our Swift and Lowdhams .. It got to a point where I could repair it better than they could and my repairs lasted where theirs failed on the way out the gates. I did get my own back in the end :) but thats another story for another day :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Issue a claim for what exactly?

Where exactly is the financial loss in this case?

I know the phrase "issue a small claims court claim against them" is used so often on here that it needs a keyboard shortcut but even by the standards of Fun suggesting it in this case makes even less sense than usual. (y)

If they refuse to sort the issues in good time then the OP could seek to sue for the costs to get it done . Also the costs for not having the van to use any travelling etc.

No company like Small claims as ultimately it can cost the dearly at little cost to the plaintiff. Plus it's really bad publicity.

It is reasonable for the supplying dealer to put things right. It is they who sold it and if they feel they have a claim on the builders that's for them to sort not the OP.

Small claims hits way above its weight and shows the claimant means business. 90% of the time it resolves things by the threat alone.

Reactions: DLT
Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought a 3 year old mh from Loudhams at Notttingham and have been very pleased with there service had a couple of problems , booked in and all sorted . Yes I had to wait but that was because there busy.

Reactions: DLT

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
As I and @NickNic have said you are going to be wasting your time and money trying to convince a judge that you are in front of him or her because you cannot get the problems resolved.
They have offered to look at the issues and move forward with a resolution.
You should seriously consider getting some impartial legal advice before sending any other letters as reading your quotes they are not really helping your case.
I can understand your frustration but getting annoyed with them will not encourage them to see your point of view.

With respect you and Nicknick ain't solicitors. A district judge will look at the facts and they do believe that a claim is rarely brought without grounds.

As I've said no company wants to get to the courtroom door and will do far more to resolve things than without the threat .

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
With respect you and Nicknick ain't solicitors. A district judge will look at the facts and they do believe that a claim is rarely brought without grounds.

As I've said no company wants to get to the courtroom door and will do far more to resolve things than without the threat .
I don't believe either of our responses made any suggestions to being solicitors but I did suggest he gets some legal advice before issuing proceedings.
As said I am not a solicitor but do have some knowledge of the system due to my previous employment.
The judge will only look at the facts as you rightly say but will want to know how the facts relate to whatever legislation the case is being brought for.
Telling the judge it is a manufacturing defect for example can be difficult to prove without an independent report.

Deleted User
The small claims court, unfortunately, although very easy to access is no guarantee that you will get paid. Even after being awarded judgement the judgement may still need to be enforced. This can incur more costs and considerable hassle. Much better to try and negotiate a compromise. I.e. Take their offer and take the van back to them and try and get some payment for fuel, then sell it! You are clearly not and probably never will be happy with the van or the dealer.

Spongy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If they refuse to sort the issues in good time then the OP could seek to sue for the costs to get it done . Also the costs for not having the van to use any travelling etc.

Not if they've offered to to the work, which they have, and he's turned them down, which he has.

In any event there would have to be a demonstrable, verifiable financial loss. You can't just issue a claim for some random figure with nothing to back it up.

Then is this case there is the question as to whether minor, mainly cosmetic, issues prevent use of the van.

It is reasonable for the supplying dealer to put things right. It is they who sold it and if they feel they have a claim on the builders that's for them to sort not the OP.

When there is still manufacturers warranty on the vehicle, which there is, the manufacturer is responsible for any repairs. If the dealer does the work they will expect to be paid by the manufacturer who will want to know about and authorise the work in advance. If the manufacturer has any concern they may decide to inspect the vehicle before authorising the work. None of this is unusual. It works like that for pretty much every new vehicle that's sold no matter what the type.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Someone tried to sue a company I worked for once. We had a meeting, we knew he was taking the piss and so we decided to counter sue for the wasted time.

We got in front of the judge who proceeded to rip the plaintiff to pieces for wasting everyone's time. One of the funniest and most entertaining 40 minutes of my life.

Don't assume that a company will be scared to go to court if they believe they're in the right and don't assume that the judge will always take the side of the plaintiff.

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
Someone tried to sue a company I worked for once. We had a meeting, we knew he was taking the piss and so we decided to counter sue for the wasted time.

We got in front of the judge who proceeded to rip the plaintiff to pieces for wasting everyone's time. One of the funniest and most entertaining 40 minutes of my life.

Don't assume that a company will be scared to go to court if they believe they're in the right and don't assume that the judge will always take the side of the plaintiff.

And again.....you seem to think i'm taking the piss because i had the temerity to refuse their offer, or is it deeper? Do you therefore think that all customers are out to rip retailers off?
I bought a second hand 7 month old motorhome in good faith from a retailer that told me the motorhome had a Lowdhams Diamond plated 3 year warranty or the balance of the manufacturers warranty i chose the latter. Things have gone wrong, i want them to fix it, they drag their feet for a year yadayadayada.
Do you think this shabby tratment (from Lowdhams) is acceptable?

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
The judge will only look at the facts as you rightly say but will want to know how the facts relate to whatever legislation the case is being brought for.
Telling the judge it is a manufacturing defect for example can be difficult to prove without an independent report.

They have did a report back in October 2016 they sent me a copy of the job sheet.

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
I bought a 3 year old mh from Loudhams at Notttingham and have been very pleased with there service had a couple of problems , booked in and all sorted . Yes I had to wait but that was because there busy.

Would you be happy if it took a year?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And again.....you seem to think i'm taking the piss because i had the temerity to refuse their offer, or is it deeper? Do you therefore think that all customers are out to rip retailers off?
I bought a second hand 7 month old motorhome in good faith from a retailer that told me the motorhome had a Lowdhams Diamond plated 3 year warranty or the balance of the manufacturers warranty i chose the latter. Things have gone wrong, i want them to fix it, they drag their feet for a year yadayadayada.

1. I have not suggested you are taking the piss. I was answering Charlie who seems to think the threat of court is enough to scare companies into rolling over.

2. Whether you like it or not and no matter who ends up doing the work for it to be a warranty claim the manufacturer has to authorise it and they are completely within their rights to recall the vehicle to their premises for inspection if they choose to.

3. In my experience across several different fields, yes many customers do try it on with businesses at any and every opportunity. It's far easier as a business owner to not trust anyone than to try and spot the odd one or two that are trustworthy. I've taken it a step further now in my business, at the first hint that a customer might cause me aggravation I simply refuse their business.

4. You want them to fix it, they've offered to fix it, you've refused to let them. Do you really not see the problem there?

5. It does appear that you've received poor service. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say on the matter but I don't suppose that will ever happen. A wise man once said something to me that is perhaps relevant here: There are always three sides to every argument: your side, their side and the truth.

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
1. I have not suggested you were taking the piss. I was answering Charlie who seems to think the threat of court is enough to scare companies into rolling over.

2. Whether you like or not and no matter who ends up doing the work for it to be a warranty claim the manufacturer has to authorise it and they are completely within their rights to recall the vehicle to their premises for inspection if they choose to.

3. In my experience across several different field, yes many customers do try it on with businesses at any and every opportunity. It's far easier as a business owner to not trust anyone than to try and spot the odd one or two that are trustworthy. I've taken it a step further now in my business, at the first hint that a customer might cause me aggravation I simply refuse their business.

4. You want them to fix it, they've offered to fix it, you've refused to let them. Do you really not see the problem there?

5. It does appear that you've received poor service. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say on the matter but I don't suppose that will ever happen. A wise man once something to me that is perhaps relevant here: There are always three sides to every argument: your side, their side and the truth.

Removed childish comments see post #83

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
It was secondhand when you bought it so perhaps the original owner was not impressed with the standard of work. It's hardly a top of the range MH .. Possibly think they are but they are along way behind the likes of Hymer etc. Part of having a MH is the fun in trying to work out whats going to fall off next. Our Swift was like that. Every time we went out something else came unglued or just pulled apart. The Pilote had a bed over the seating area which refused on more than one occasion to come down. It rattled so you had to put cushions on the bed and then make sure the bed was fully up. It also squeaked a lot. Far more than the Swift which it replaced. The bed failed finally on a two week holiday it just had to happen so after 10 months from new we got shut and bought our present MH. Few problems but we have a great Dealer to sort them. They reply to emails and are more than happy to work from photographs. Unfortunately we need a new awning as the one that is on has a top lid that blows up if it gets windy. Sent a photo from down in Spain and have arranged to have it fitted next week.

So who are these people .. Southdown Motorhomes / Laika ( Part of Hymer ) made in Italy

I had problems with our Swift and Lowdhams .. It got to a point where I could repair it better than they could and my repairs lasted where theirs failed on the way out the gates. I did get my own back in the end :) but thats another story for another day :whistle:

It may not be "top of the range" as you mentioned but it was to us.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Not exactly neutral....no axe to grind then.....Theresa one of the peasants is revolting (I am)
I have read through the posts and your pictures and I think that is very unfair. NicNic has given you very good advice, in the end it is up to you whether you act on it. You seemingly don't want to, that's OK, good luck with your next action. I hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction using your own methods.

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
I have read through the posts and your pictures and I think that is very unfair. NicNic has given you very good advice, in the end it is up to you whether you act on it. You seemingly don't want to, that's OK, good luck with your next action. I hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction using your own methods.

His advice is peppered with insinuations that all customers are out to rip off retailers, he obviously is a business man who does not hold end users in high regard.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
His advice is peppered with insinuations that all customers are out to rip off retailers, he obviously is a business man who does not hold end users in high regard.
Well ignore his advice then, but don't have a pop at him for trying to help you.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

I think you may possibly be incorrect there, but good luck in you endevour, but please remember you cant allways win, somethimes to draw is enought, personly I walk away away from confilct, not because Im afraid, but because I can...and sometimes thats enought

OP
OP
M

mitrepooc

Banned
Apr 30, 2014
Funster No
It seems not only have i bad relations with my supplying dealer I have upset a few of the old guard. it was not my intention to offend nor tread on anyones toes, bad service it seems is acceptable in motorhome circles.
If i'm truly honest my intention in sharing my experiences were not altruistic in nature.
I apologise to anyone who has taken offence at my comments.
Tim.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Your wasting your breath. There are those here who have an opinion valid or not and refuse to shift.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not taking anyone's side. But a long of people would not know that the way the motorhome/caravan world works and that you could possibly get better customer service when buying a £400 washing machine rather than a £50,000 motorhome. People who have brought many times before generally seem to accept that the build quality is crap, may be just a bit of a shock if it's not what you're expecting. Hope it all gets sorted ok for all.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
The only sure fire way is to nuke them from outer space.

possibly the best way,:D(y)

@mitrepooc you certinly havnt upset me, your you, do things your own way, I just chucked in my 2p worth..the thing is the more you wind yourself up about it, the more like you are never to get a resolution to suit you, and therefore you will end up hateing the motorhome, and getting rid of it, which would be really sad. One last point nowadays companies have to a despuite resolution policey, usualy this invovles a outside company or trade assciation who will look at your complaint (supposidly) impartualy and make a recomendation to move forwards. When I have in the past reached stalemate over something I simply asked for thier depuite resolution department or authortiy it "sometimes" kicks them into gear.

One thing I have leanerd is never ever make a threat you cant/wont keep, mild deplomicy is far better way to get a satifatory outcome.
Again good luck, but calm down(y)

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not taking anyone's side. But a long of people would not know that the way the motorhome/caravan world works and that you could possibly get better customer service when buying a £400 washing machine rather than a £50,000 motorhome. People who have brought many times before generally seem to accept that the build quality is crap, may be just a bit of a shock if it's not what you're expecting. Hope it all gets sorted ok for all.

All the more reason not to accept the situation then.

I have cringed at the lack of support for the OP. The fact some have pointed out his van and I quote Not top of the range is frankly bloody ridiculous. Like the OP I ventured out and bought our van just a few months old but fortunately my issues were few and as a builder I can tackle most things.

I've been criticised here for suggesting resorting to small claims but my daughter who is a solicitor advises me it's the heaviest club we have to beat down the doors of those who taka deee peees.

I also fully appreciate there are two sides to the story we get only one. But come on help the bloke out and show some support even though it won't really help.

This forum unfortunately has a hard core of members who see only the rough side of the coin......Shame really.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
All the more reason not to accept the situation then.

I have cringed at the lack of support for the OP. The fact some have pointed out his van and I quote Not top of the range is frankly bloody ridiculous. Like the OP I ventured out and bought our van just a few months old but fortunately my issues were few and as a builder I can tackle most things.

I've been criticised here for suggesting resorting to small claims but my daughter who is a solicitor advises me it's the heaviest club we have to beat down the doors of those who taka deee peees.

I also fully appreciate there are two sides to the story we get only one. But come on help the bloke out and show some support even though it won't really help.

This forum unfortunately has a hard core of members who see only the rough side of the coin......Shame really.

I do believe that a few on here have tried to help the OP - @NickNic in particular - seems to me that yes the OP has undoubtedly received poor service from dealer & supplier however the offer to have the van delivered to Lowdhams or direct to the manufacturers should now be taken up by the OP if he wants the issues resolved

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we was looking around different dealers one of the salesman said to us that you will need to carry a tool box as there is always something that comes loose or adrift that needs fixing. At least he was honest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back