Lowdhams , current problem with new MH, anyone else currently or recently had issues? (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Hi
Just wondered - power in numbers and all that - is anyone else currently trying to tackle Lowdhams? - or pretty recently?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Our cousins have just given up fighting Lowdhams and are now going direct with swift to get a leaking window repaired and a poorly installed fridge
Lowdhams just not interested

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You can return as not fit for purpose within 30 days of purchase I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We had problems with them 5 or 6 years ago, doesn't surprise me that they haven't improved.

OP
OP
kenandcaroline
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Thanks everyone, nice to feel part of a community.
We are kicking ourselves because we had heard of past struggles folk had had, but we grilled the salesman who assured us that it was something they were working hard on - even acknowledged past difficulties.
Regarding the Consumer Act 2015 (that I am in danger of becoming 'mastermind' on) we certainly have some greater 'clarity', and there is a right to reject within 30 days - but when it is a vehicle the claim should not be 'disproportionate' to the value of the vehicle. (am looking for test cases) Within time limits they can have one chance to make good and then we have a right to reject if it is not acceptable .... but , having initially agreeing there was a problem they are now saying there isn't a problem anyway (it's just our perspective) - so ill-fitting windows and mismatched blind cassette units set wonky are what is 'standard specification craftsmanship for quality german engineering!!! This came to light on day 3 when part of the blind unit detached itself from the wall of the van - because, being the wrong size (in our view) it was fixed to fresh air for the most part.
.... and this has then exposed the wall innards ... and made us question how it is made - here they simply won't answer our question. In fact they stopped answering questions as soon as the Customer Care manager (now Clare Sutton) got involved - if I have to I shall share some of her lovely quotes !!!! (
Anyway ...
to be constructive .. as we try ...
Within an earlier Thread we found a couple of email addresses for Directors higher up the tree and even the address of the company owner (thanks motorhomefun) and have at least broken through the complete barrier of their current 'Customer Care Manager' that has spent the last week building a big jabberwocky wall ..
So , anticipating tomorrow, please quote me, (!!!!) " we are very confident that our meeting tomorrow with the Director Mr Ian Brown will be most informed, intelligent and constructive in addressing our problems"
Will let you know because things like this are important to our community. An informal rally/get-together in a nice Nottinghamshire Village could be arranged!
We have tried contacting Dethleffs but they seem to be on holiday until August 10.
Paul and Kate - if your cousin wants to team up with us, very happy to do so.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Perhaps each of you could separately contact Trading Standards at your local council. My local TS were excellent when I was ripped off by a van converter. They put together an excellent case, took it to court and the individual is currently serving a 3.5 year prison sentence. An extreme example, but it's worth noting they do have some strong powers to support consumers.

OP
OP
kenandcaroline
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Thanks - that's useful. I have meant to try them - been busy these last few days, first to achieve this meeting, then to prep for it ! I know Trading Standards are solid if it is something they feel is in their area (so many trips to Lowdhams lately - I could comment on what I noticed about some of their prices in the 'Summer Sale' recently started ..... compared to price advertised before the sale!! Thought most retailers got that right now ...)
I hate bullies and bluffers.

OP
OP
kenandcaroline
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Yes Jim, will do review - but will wait a little (after tomorrow) because we hope that someone might make good some of the 'bad' done to date ......
Will also update and provide full list of contacts

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We bought a used Chausson from Lowdhams Nottingham nearly six years ago. They proclaimed that their three year warranty was the best in the industry but they didn't want to know when we had problems. I wouldn't buy from them again. Best of luck with your claim and be prepared to take legal advice if you feel you are not getting anywhere. Although legal liability rests with the dealer, it can do no harm to raise it with Dethleffs as well. Let them know that the dealer's attitude is tarnishing the reputation of their products and lots of Funsters are following your case with interest. You won't have a problem with defamation as long as you keep to the facts, tell the truth and don't demonstrate malice.

OP
OP
kenandcaroline
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
We are not counting chickens, but ....
I am pleased to report that our meeting this morning with Ian Brown (Lowdhams Group After-Sales Director) seemed to be a positive step - or more - forward. He was "informed, intelligent and constructive in addressing our problems".

He appeared informed and treated us respectfully (did not make us 'go back and tell the whole story ...AGAIN etc etc.) and he operated practically - no excuses or bumbling jabberwocky. He examined our van, sent for a tape measure/notebook etc. He acknowledged the problem. We stayed in the van whilst truly discussing the problem - (he listened to us, we listened to him and we talked about it .... and talked about possible different options to solve the problem.) We jointly went and looked at how this particular feature (the relationship of the window fitting and the blind cassette unit fitting) 'works' in other vans on show (I had already examined and photographed 14 last Sunday afternoon!). He then noted down our other 'unanswered questions' (only 2 or3).

Things are slightly complicated as Dethleffs in Germany seem to be on 'shutdown' and it is a manufacturing issue. We accept this - we want it done properly, not a 'botch job'. For now, however, we are trusting that Lowdhams/Ian Brown will seek a solution with Dethleffs, that an acceptable solution is possible, and they will come back to us and discuss this ... and it can/will be put right. Ian will also get proper answers to our questions from Dethleffs. A small practical problem was addressed immediately (by raiding another van!!)

So (Consumer Rights Act 2015) we are giving them the opportunity to 'put it right' - the start of that process being looking at possible solutions/methodology which will have to be agreed (before we let anyone start tinkering with it!) .. and answering our other questions. We will demonstrate our confidence in their ability/willingness to do this by resuming our use of the van - as they recommended we should.

It is so sad that it has taken this effort (exhausting emotionally, physically and mentally) to get this far. Ian Brown is a caravanner/aspiring motorhome owner .. and seems 'a very nice chap'. We will, of course, confirm this position with Lowdhams in writing ...... and keep you all informed of progress.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Well it get worse for our cousins swift
They've just returned from ten days in France and noticed the step well just inside the hab door was full of water on inspection it looks like surface rain water mixed with Road bits have worn the fibre glass away and blown a hole through the step casing I'll try and get a photo
There is a bracket next to the step but nothing fixed to it
I'd have thought there would be some kind of deflector plate
So looks like it's going back to swift again
3 times for 3 different problems it's only 2 and a half months old with 2300 miles on it
They're gutted and are considering packing it all in
Lowdhams again don't want to know

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
20170730_164932.jpg

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Just checked my bolero there is a plastic guard plate protecting mine ( I hope )

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Just taken some bad photos hope they help.

Attachments

• 20170730_170620.jpg
    20170730_170620.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20170730_170615.jpg
    20170730_170615.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 159
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Here's a picture facing facing the front I wish I hadn't looked messy but ok.

Attachments

• 20170730_171120.jpg
    20170730_171120.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 159
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here's a picture facing facing the front I wish I hadn't looked messy but ok.
Is that how it's finished off or something else been put on:(

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I make glass fibre moulds all the time as part of my job @Paul and Kate. This is a clear example of poor attention to detail by the moulder as this is caused by an air bubble under the wet fibreglass as it is layered into the mould and not worked properly into the corner of the mould allowing an air bubble to form. It can be repaired but lack of care allowed it to happen in the first place.
Hope you get it sorted.
Best regards
Nik.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I make glass fibre moulds all the time as part of my job @Paul and Kate. This is a clear example of poor attention to detail by the moulder as this is caused by an air bubble under the wet fibreglass as it is layered into the mould and not worked properly into the corner of the mould allowing an air bubble to form. It can be repaired but lack of care allowed it to happen in the first place.
Hope you get it sorted.
Best regards
Nik.
Not our mh but our cousins new one only done 2500 miles another trip back to swift I think

Reactions: Nik
OP
OP
kenandcaroline
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
A suggestion, go back a step . contact Clare.Sutton@lowdham.com (customer care manager) with copy to Ian.Brown@lowdhams.com (group after sales director). I Suggest politely and crisply outlining problems with new vehicle and experience to date. State that you consider new vehicle to be faulty , it was supplied by them ......(when)., and ask what steps they will take to rectify fault. Ask for response within reasonable timeframe e.g. 5/7 days.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Same old story .. They have been at it for years and are always promising to sort out their service dept. Our experience with them goes back to caravaning 20 years ago. We bought a New Swift MH from them a few years ago what a load of junk that was. Impossible to get satisfactory repairs and very expensive MUST HAVE habitation checks.

Never again would I purchase a MH from them ...

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I to will never use these merchants again. Bought new from them 15/08/17. Had problems with van. Sorted one or two out. Still had others.
Dealing with Greg Brailsford. Every time I tried to contact him he was out of the office told he would reply, three times. He still as not.
AEG motorhomes in the West Midlands took over the warranty. Excellent service from them.
Love looking at there vans at the MH shows, when they say are you intested, I say, very much so. But will never give you my custom again.
Rant over.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ah the "squealing pig", again. If you search this forum thete was a lot of stuff posted, I think I posted the home addresses of the Directors

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We bought a new van from them in May it had a few small things to be rectified but when I contacted them the earliest appointment will be the end of September, at the moment I will give them a chance to do the work.
I did suggest they just send me the parts but no luck there this would void the warranty :ROFLMAO:
As I said I will give them one chance after that I would take some advice from a solicitor who specializes in that field even if it costs me a bit of money.
I don't know why more people have not gone down this route, make a log of all dealings and calls you have had with the dealer so you can present a good case if it comes to that.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you notified the faults within the 30 day period from when you purchased the vehicle and you have agreed repair in September your rights under the Act still stand as in effect the 30 day clock stops at the date of the deferment agreement. So in September if the repairs are not carried out satisfactory you then have the option to reject the vehicle and get full refund. Read the Consumer Rights Act it is clearly outlined and deferment for repair is no escape

Hope this helps

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We bought a new van from them in May it had a few small things to be rectified but when I contacted them the earliest appointment will be the end of September, at the moment I will give them a chance to do the work.
I did suggest they just send me the parts but no luck there this would void the warranty :ROFLMAO:
As I said I will give them one chance after that I would take some advice from a solicitor who specializes in that field even if it costs me a bit of money.
I don't know why more people have not gone down this route, make a log of all dealings and calls you have had with the dealer so you can present a good case if it comes to that.

See above post

OP
OP
kenandcaroline
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Consumer Rights could override warranty limitations .....
Our 'making good' can't happen until Dethleffs get back from their holidays ..... and we then agree the way to the solution .... we now have a thick file of documents .... took legal advice (through the insurance from Comfort), we confirm every conversation in writing etc etc. and make sure we use the 'right' words. Should not have to do it but it has happened now so have to deal with it ..... Yes, ShiftZZ you did post the address of the guy who owns the show - now partly retired - which is where i got the idea of the informal rally in a nice Nottinghamshire village from (with flags?!). Thanks - I have cc'd emails to him too! Hope this 'rally' won't need to happen (or the one outside the show site - my van would look good with a sheet banner on the side!!) We do live - (or leave our stuff when not roaming) pretty near .... we WONT be ignored!
This looking into the law has made me very interested in this idea they have that you have to pay for their expensive habitation/water ingress checks to keep the warranty. I suspect that is 'tosh' - I am certainly going to explore that area. It comes down to having rights through the Consumer Rights Act 2015 quite separate to them muttering about 'warranty' - (ref what I said a post or so back about reading motor trade advice sites) ... they might quote that something won't be covered by 'our warranty' ...... may be the case .... but the very same thing might just be covered by the Consumer Rights Act - like water ingress etc - up to 6 years ?? Need to research this .... obviously a bit early for much in the way of 'test cases' in law.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back