low suspension MOT failed on 630L (1 Viewer)

MNP

Free Member
Jan 11, 2010
Funster No
Hi,

We brought a new Swift Sundance 630L on Fiat base in 2006. We've had an amazing 3 years touring.

The 630L has just been for its first MOT after 3yrs & failed due to low clearance of back suspension.
Would love to hear from anyone else thats had similiar troubles or heard of any.

I have always been aware of the large overhang & tried to pack weight accordingly, however we do have a bike rack & bikes on the back which no doubt adds to the weight.
The Motorhome is currently fully unloaded (including water,waste tanks) but still the technical clearance is not even close to passing on our 3 year old vehicle.
Our mechanic has recommended changing leaf springs in the hope that this will correct the clearance but he cannot be sure that it will.

What other options are out there? Is the air suspension a possibility in this case?

Thanks
Mac

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
clearance

I would look at fitting air suspension do a search on here forit a few people have it fitted

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Mac,

As Coroner has mentioned, air suspension should sort your problem, giving you the added advantages of adjusting ride height according to loading and decreasing body sway/roll.

I am looking into this myself.All springs lose some of their tension after time.Replacing the leaf springs would be an option but may only defer the problem for a few years.

I am surprised the rear has dropped so much after only 3 years.:Eeek:

When they say low, do they mean it's sitting on, or near the bump stops, or general road clearance compared to new?

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted MAD spring assistors in the 90s to a Citroen c25 and they lifted the rear 4" (100mm)
I think the company is still trading.

John.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We had our Air Suspension fitted by AS of Warrington in Cheshire.

Wonderful service, very helpful, can't fault them

It wa quite expensive but in comparison to the cost of leave springs etc, it must be a very reasonable alternative.

We can raise our back end by up to 6" on a good day. (No dirty comments please funsters)

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I had air ride assistance fitted last September and it not only gave the option of varying the ride height at the rear, but made the "Van" a lot more stable for cornering and on the Motorway :Smile:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
go to another mot station :thumb:not heard of a failure like that before

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There is someone on here who will I'm sure know the answer. ::bigsmile:

Where's Geo when he's needed?

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi,

We brought a new Swift Sundance 630L on Fiat base in 2006. We've had an amazing 3 years touring.

The 630L has just been for its first MOT after 3yrs & failed due to low clearance of back suspension.
Would love to hear from anyone else thats had similiar troubles or heard of any.

I have always been aware of the large overhang & tried to pack weight accordingly, however we do have a bike rack & bikes on the back which no doubt adds to the weight.
The Motorhome is currently fully unloaded (including water,waste tanks) but still the technical clearance is not even close to passing on our 3 year old vehicle.
Our mechanic has recommended changing leaf springs in the hope that this will correct the clearance but he cannot be sure that it will.

What other options are out there? Is the air suspension a possibility in this case?

Thanks
Mac

Hi There,
After purchasing my 1996 Fiat Ducato 2.5TD based Hymer with garage back in 2005 specifficaly to carry my wifes disabled Battricar and a small moped,which came with Airride fitted as a Factory Extra and looking at the single Rear spring I went down the road of up rating the springs by adding two extra leaves. I removed and fitted them myself with the assistance of a neighbour but the cost was £300 to modify. The ride was always level but a lot firmer and you do get more road noise but I felt safer, alright tongue in cheeck I was probably overweight but at least it looked okay to those people that matter.

Hope this helps in some way

Brian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Section 2.4 Suspension General
Reason for rejection 1. Inadequate clearance of the axle or suspension with the bump stop or chassis,
A suspension unit so weak that the body or other part off the vehicle fouls a road wheel or would do so when fully laden.

It would be easy to say pass and advise, but only the tester concerned can make that judgement.

Note missing bump stops are not a reason for rejection
So take em off-----sorted:Doh:
Geo

OP
OP
M

MNP

Free Member
Jan 11, 2010
Funster No
Hey,

Thanks so much to you all for your very helpful advice. Overnight ive had to become an expert on suspensions from yesterday not knowing a thing but now understand that the 2 most common types of suspension springs are leaf and coil.
So yes one side at rear was touching the bump stop which is not good for a 3 yr old vehicle, in the 630L the design does lack as most storage is over back axle with very little storage near front.
I have decided to go ahead with the obvious choice of air suspension supplied by www.airide.co.uk costing £470+shipping.

Cheers heaps everyone
Mac

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I'll just add to this because it is known that the Ducato ( and siblings ) suspension has a 'bump stop' which is actually part of the suspension and it is normal for a fairly small clearance to exist between the bottom of the 'bump stop' and the top of the leaf spring.

I have seen this discussed on / in other forums and mail lists and also seen it, with photographs in one of the Motorhome magazines ( can't recall which though )... so it may be a good thing to fit air assist suspension but it *may* not really be necessary ....

Harvey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back