Low slung exhaust pipe on the Ducato (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was looking at our Scout the other day and noticed that the exhaust pipe is quite close to the ground.

Since then I have checked other Fiat base vans which look the same.

Do they ever hit the floor on speed ramps or ferry ramps?

Our previous van was an A class on a Fiat base but I am sure there was more clearance with that one.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ours is quite low But then the whole lot seems low to me, just hope the ferry ramp is leval otherwise there will be Big queue of traffic behind me when I refuse to scrape it onto the ferry.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I too have noticed this on our Apache and although initially I was very wary about speed humps, lowering the window a little to listen to any tell-tale clank or scrape, I have never had a problem. I have used a couple of ferries and likewise no problem. What I do find I have problems with is the rear overhang of the bodywork, the rear Towbar I fitted often catches the ground if turning into or off a steep incline. However I must admit, I added a little extra steel to the endplates of the bar to assist in protecting the actual bodywork by making contact with the ground before the GRP corner panel would, much like the effect of caravan corner steadies (in the raised position obviously).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Because ours also seems to stick out slightly, I have on a number of occasions heard that awful grinding sound when it catches low kerbs in fuel stations and when tight to high kerbs sur le continent!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have a Rapido and that is low at the front. The exhaust does occasionally scrape over speed bumps but I take them slow and of course the exhaust is on rubber hangars/ mounts so it can move up an inch or so of scrapped. Every time I look I don't see any damage just a little mark or two on the bottom of the box. So take it easy and you should be ok. I have to say I would be a bit concerned on a ferry ramp or other steep slope and I avoid steep slopes when I can.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Having seen a fairly disasterous entry by a long MH onto the Largs ferry (and intending doing a lot of ferry work myself). I opted again for a minimum rear overhang Longish WB van) and the standard FIAT ducato metal chassis. Which is quite high in the fist place.

Went on a lot of ferries in my Elddis 115 with no problems and the pug chassis. I also had to go up and down a very rough track with oversized speed/drainaige bumps in that van (which saloon cars often grounded on) and again no probs.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
We to like @mikeyrv, noticed how low they are. But touch wood, have not had any problems so far. First time out, we had to reverse onto a ferry (think it was Portsmouth) that was awkward, managed to take the rubber end-cap of the tow bar due to the angle of the ramp. But exhaust was fine. (y)(y)(y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Actually this may put your mind at rest...Carado T132 on FIAT cab.......go Carado....go (y)

I put mine up on a small kerb and was ok.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
You do need to be careful when there are high curbs or approaching tolls or car park barriers. The end of the pipe will scrape. Haven't noticed it scraping on speed bumps. cant comment on ferries

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I think is always wise to carry spare rubber exhaust mountings, at a fiver apiece if any snap because of being brittle they don't take long to replace. A damaged exhaust can be expensive to replace.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a 30" tag axle Fiat based MH with the low level Alko chassis and the exhaust pipe is ridiculously low.
On the day we collected the van we were heading for a C&CC rally near OCford and had to cross a small hump back bridge.
The inevitable happened and the exhaust grounded with an awful grinding sound. And we had jus had it a few hours.
We have since clobbered it numerous times even on innocuous looking bumps and lumps. Once even under up with a great big lump of turf jammed in the exhaust when we were reversing onto a grass pitch.
No idea what we could do about it though apart form just grin and bear it and avoid obvious hazards like big bumps and kerbs.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I hope the place where we used to hire from doesn't read this forum! :D
One of the vans we rented, I bashed the exhaust pipe into a kerb, and destroyed the rubber hanger. Luckily we were in Italy, so I popped into a Fiat dealers and purchased a new hanger, and kept quiet when we returned the van! :D
Now we have our own, I am very concious that the exhaust pipe is very low.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Scrapped ours a few times but so far it is all good.
It is actually the same height on the Autotrail as is fitted to our old Miller

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back