low milage service requirements (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Fiat 2.8jtd
Mot & service are due at end of Feb, and as we only do low milages 2.5k last year and only 13.5k since new 03/05 reg is a full service really nessercery ? I know its needs the alko axle gressing doing and a new oil filter/new oil is required but is a full wheels of do everything serivce going overboard evey year

recormendations for a garage near to south Doncaster would as Im not taking it back to the agent who done it for ther last two years

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sorry I can't help with any one near you for a service, but I would recomend a full service as things sieze up through lack of use rather than wear out through use, plus a full service history never hurts when you come to sell it.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best Rick

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there
This is a common dliemma facing low mileage vehicles but it is important to remember these motorhomes are built on commercial van chassis intended for constant use. Consequently low mileage often results in perishable items, hoses, pipes, tyres etc to deteriorate rather than wear out, which is why cam belts on morothomes are changed every five years and not on mileage.
You may well get away with it if it passes its MOT but I must admit I would rather a mechanic looks over my vehicle once a year even though I do a low mileage.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Sorry I can't help with any one near you for a service, but I would recomend a full service as [HI]things sieze up through lack of use rather than wear out through use[/HI], plus a full service history never hurts when you come to sell it.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best Rick

Totally agree, just the same on the boat, lack of use causes more problems than wear & Tear, keep it serviced.........Maintain rather than repair.....Griff

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I agree with Norman.

As the vehicle is 7 years old the Cam belt is living on borrowed time it and the tensioners should be changed. Its going to cost around ÂŁ250 on top of the service but better that then a new engine.

Lunarman

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
so what should a full service (inc axel greessing ) + mot be, I seem to recall it was arround ÂŁ290 ish last year

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Totally agree, just the same on the boat, lack of use causes more problems than wear & Tear, keep it serviced.........Maintain rather than repair.....Griff

Ah but boats are even bigger black holes ::bigsmile:

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I agree with Norman.

As the vehicle is 7 years old the Cam belt is living on borrowed time it and the tensioners should be changed. Its going to cost around ÂŁ250 on top of the service but better that then a new engine.

Lunarman

the cam belt was done at 5 years old and I'll allways had full service done each year, just wondering what other poeple do, looks like I will give it a full service as per peoples recomendations, I just need to find a trustworthy garage near me that will do the job properly at a fair (not cheap) price

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Backing up what others have said..
If you havent already done it consider a cam belt change.... 5 years or 75,000 miles is the recommended.. If it snaps with age rather than mileage it's still a few thousand to fix the engine !!!!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there is a recognised service schedule for low mileage Fiats our local dealer does these and it maintains warrenty ( where relevant) but they stipulate a full service every second year. had this system on my last motorhome on the x250 cab.:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Totally agree with others on this but make sure they know how to grease the Alco axle as I think there is a procedure in doing this and can cause problems if not done correctly.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Ah but [HI]boats are even bigger black holes[/HI] ::bigsmile:

All the best Rick

I imagine you wrote that for the benefit of others.........anyone who owns a boat, already knows, strange isn't it. If it has "marine" written in front of the part number the price at least doubles.

I can understand it if it is made of Phosphor-Bronze, but not a plastic cupboard catch which is supplied by the same manufacturer as would supply Swift or Autosleeper.

Marine = wealthy = Mug = Put the price up.

No ShiftZZ & Yosser & Haggers & john10p & JJ I don't need any p*ss takes or derevations of the above..............Griff.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I imagine you wrote that for the benefit of others.........anyone who owns a boat, already knows, strange isn't it. If it has "marine" written in front of the part number the price at least doubles.

I can understand it if it is made of Phosphor-Bronze, but not a plastic cupboard catch which is supplied by the same manufacturer as would supply Swift or Autosleeper.

Marine = wealthy = Mug = Put the price up.

No ShiftZZ & Yosser & Haggers & john10p & JJ I don't need any p*ss takes or derevations of the above..............Griff.

I have always been lucky with boats, only had them in the USA but better than that they were not mine :thumb: used to have a super 30' bow rider to use any time cuz my neibour who owned it used my workshop perfick.

All the best Rick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Stonacre in Donny do services for motor-homes-They used to(may still do)Danum leisure the main M/H agents it may be worth giving them a call
terry

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Stonacre in Donny do services for motor-homes-They used to(may still do)Danum leisure the main M/H agents it may be worth giving them a call
terry

dont talk to me about stoneacre, last week they charged my wife ÂŁ26 odd for fiting a headlamp bulb in her cmax,:cry: thier the new owerners of the ford dealership on the north road...

Last time I asked Danum about cab service they told me they farmed out the cab side of servicing, do they do it themselves now?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure but Stoneacre used to do it for them.I still see M/Hs there so they prob still do ::bigsmile: I get my local mechanic to service mine :thumb: TRY for a local mobile mec :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you are south of Donny why not give our very own Geo a ring -Pecks Hill Garage
Tel. 01623 644666
Cannot be far to Mansfield ?
terry

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Not sure but Stoneacre used to do it for them.I still see M/Hs there so they prob still do ::bigsmile: I get my local mechanic to service mine :thumb: TRY for a local mobile mec :thumb:

I think I missunderstood your last post, I thought you ment stonearce OR danum, not that stoneacre did the cab service for danum.

The fiat stoneacre is not far from me as Im on the south side of town I could drop in and ask for a price and see if they know about m/h axels

On the other hand mobile might be an idea at least you can stand over them and see what they do and what they dont do.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
If you are south of Donny why not give our very own Geo a ring -Pecks Hill Garage
Tel. 01623 644666
Cannot be far to Mansfield ?
terry

you must have read my mind, just got of google maps 36 mile:Doh:

just far enough to warm it up for the mot

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just a bit of food for thought..............

We do about 4k per year in our Transit-based MH.
The service schedule for a Transit is 15k or yearly.
We are observing this whilst the Transit is in warranty, however once the warranty is up, we'll get the book stamped every 2 years.
'What about the oil?' I hear you cry!
Well, considering that our Transit was built in Turkey in 2008 and took 2 years to get to first registration in 2010 before being run for a further year to it's first service, the oil was 3 years old!!!
If Ford are happy to stand by the warranty under those circumstances, then the oil must be of sufficient quality to last 2 yrs!!!
Fully synthetic oils tend not to suffer from the oxidation and breakdown suffered by mineral products, so a 2 year/8K service sounds OK in my book!:thumb:
It is only because of the high value of a MH that I am paying for services to gain a stamp in the book. I am a qualified mechanic and normally do every job myself.
I will be periodically inspecting brake pad wear myself, it's easy with disc brakes, no stripping required!
I haven't looked into axle and gearbox oil, but these will be changed as recommended by yours truly!:Smile:
How often are the body mounting bolts checked for tightness I wonder? I bet it is not done in the garage or by the caravan technician during a habitation 'service'!:Sad:

Any Ford technicians out there care to comment?

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
you must have read my mind, just got of google maps 36 mile:Doh:

just far enough to warm it up for the mot

my 3year service is due in may .i have used stoneacer doncaster .if you ask for danny service for a good price you should get one ,if not then i to will be off to mansfield .:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it used to be said, quite a few years ago, that changing the oil at 6000mls meant you were throwing away around 4000mls worth of good oil. :Eeek:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
you should be so lucky.....mine requires an oil and filter change every 3K miles.

11 liters oil around ÂŁ75
oil filter ÂŁ35

:cry:

come on, we all know you Rv'ers are rolling in it:winky:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
a relative of mine used to change the oil filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 miles never did any harm to his motors.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Its going to Geos at mansfiled

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its going to Geos at mansfiled
:Eeek: Dont trust 'im, right dodgy geezer 'e is.

i've seen 'im at shows and meets, late at night, draining oil from other folks motorhomes (i got a padlock on me sump bung) to take back to his lockup garage and flog on to unsuspecting motorhomers :winky::roflmto:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
:Eeek: Dont trust 'im, right dodgy geezer 'e is.

i've seen 'im at shows and meets, late at night, draining oil from other folks motorhomes (i got a padlock on me sump bung) to take back to his lockup garage and flog on to unsuspecting motorhomers :winky::roflmto:

arrrrg:cry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Take no notice Geo is a good guy and will look after you

Join us or log in to post a reply.