Low ground clearance (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
Having had HPC levellers installed on our Bailey 75-2 the ground clearance to the underslung box containing the pump etc. is quite low and have a couple of scrapes recently on what look relatively innocuous speed bumps.

Options to solve appear to be:
1) Get pump re-fitted in the vehicle under one of the side benches
2) Fit 16" wheels as a replacement for the 15" ones fitted
3) Go for air suspension of some description (full/semi/rear/all round)

Does anyone have similar experience and/or views on the options?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Easiest to move the pump, I think
Full air is expensive and you'd need to be aware of obstacles, to raise it, before approaching them. I have caught my back end when not realising I ought to have done to negotiate an acute rise into a garage forecourt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I have the same van with E&P levellers so a picture might help.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Having had HPC levellers installed on our Bailey 75-2 the ground clearance to the underslung box containing the pump etc. is quite low and have a couple of scrapes recently on what look relatively innocuous speed bumps.

Options to solve appear to be:
1) Get pump re-fitted in the vehicle under one of the side benches
2) Fit 16" wheels as a replacement for the 15" ones fitted
3) Go for air suspension of some description (full/semi/rear/all round)

Does anyone have similar experience and/or views on the options?
Is it worth the cost of new wheels to get half an inch extra clearance? I'd move the pump.

OP
OP
C
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
Will put picture up later on this evening

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I also agree that the easiest thing to do is move the pump.

However, having had VB semi air suspension fitted last week, I can say that getting semi-air is a fantastic investment in its own right. From empty to max (3.5bar) it raises the rear wheel arch by two inches and the towbar by three and a bit inches. Great for ferry ramps and speed bumps. It also has an amazing effect on the ride. The stern used to wallow around like a pregnant hippo, and it now is like a rock on the road, cornering like a Ferrari!

Are you sure that 16" wheels will fit? It may be that to fit 16" wheels you have to have a slightly lower profile, so what you gain in wheel, you lose in the tyre. Non starter in my book, unless you fit semi air!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I worried about the pump box too but after a good look around under there there’s other stuff that’s as low. As we have a low slung sports car as well I’m always aware of speed bumps and just take it slowly over them. I find the split ones the worst as with a normal ride height you can straddle them but I find going over them with one set of wheels the best option.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
However, having had VB semi air suspension fitted last week, I can say that getting semi-air is a fantastic investment in its own right. From empty to max (3.5bar) it raises the rear wheel arch by two inches and the towbar by three and a bit inches. Great for ferry ramps and speed bumps. It also has an amazing effect on the ride. The stern used to wallow around like a pregnant hippo, and it now is like a rock on the road, cornering like a Ferrari
On what chassis? I have VB Semi Air on my Bailey 75-2 and it makes little or no difference to ride height but does allow for more weight on the rear axle.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Maybe you'd be OK if you weren't so skilful at negotiating speed humps?
Rather than get them perfectly between the wheels, try to climb over the top with one set.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my nephews rd has speed bumps at 45 degrees across the road no one speeds over those, at 5mph it sends you every which way

OP
OP
C
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
Here is photo of the van. Pump housing is quite a long way back from front wheel.

Attachments

• 201E7AEE-8BCD-49C1-88DD-AB250110733C.jpeg
    201E7AEE-8BCD-49C1-88DD-AB250110733C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
As I said my system is E&P but I suspect the layout is similar.
20210922_201806.jpg
Here is where mine (75-2) is located. It sits behind the waste tank on two bars bolted between the chassis members that have been added. Despite not having a box it never shows signs of any corrosion and as you can see there is a deflector fashioned in case. There is no chance of it grounding out. To move your pump is going to require quite a lot of work - new wiring and new hydraulic hoses. It needs doing because that is in my opinion a wholly unsatisfactory position for the pump to be in.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Here is photo of the van. Pump housing is quite a long way back from front wheel.
That looks low to me too.
I'd see about getting that pump inboard.

If it can't be moved, I'd get semi air suspension and try to travel light on the rear axle, because that looks like it will ground on the top of a ferry ramp.

Sadly mate, the lesson I learned was that a dealer will flog you anything without doing any questioning about whether it is the right thing for you. When we first looked for a moho, we went to a huge and well known dealership to see whether there was anything that might suit us. There were several dozen mohos up for sale, but none suited us because they were all over 3500 (I can drive >3500, but Mrs DDJC can't). We explained that and he shrugged and said that it didn't matter as no one really enforced that law.
We went somewhere else.

Your fitter should have advised you that fitting the hydraulics would lower your ground clearance, but I bet they simply saw £££s and kept schtum.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have E&P levellers fitted on my Laika by Mick Leightley (SAP). When we first discussed fitting, he suggested fitting under the floor in a box. When we arrived for fitting, however, he said that ground clearance was inadequate and he would only fit in a locker. It was a more complicated job for him but he stuck by the original price. He was obviously right and I am so glad that we had them fitted there.
Incidentally mine would not have been as low as yours.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Whoa how u work that out?
Distance from centre of hub to ground with the suspension fully compressed is the only thing to determine clearance.
Edit Just read it again and that is the radius. Doh!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Also increase diameter too much and your speedo will be out.
Oddly enough as the existing Speedo over reads by 5mph at 70mph fitting 16ins rims makes the Speedo more accurate. Does nothing much for ground clearance however.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If you do fit 16ins alloy make sure you get them with a minimum 1100kg rating and correct offset.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back