Low fly wales (1 Viewer)

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
This may be common knowledge but worth a mention I think. We stopped at a farm site at Minffordd and the Hotel there is Dog Friendly, very usefull to be able to go inside instead of being eaten alive by the Midges. However that aside the reason for the post is to inform you that this is where Low fly aircraft do the Mach Loop run. Various hill top locations allow a very close up and somewhat amazing views of the aircrafts in training. They only do it Monday to Friday. http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/mach_loop so cameras out and away you go?:thumb:

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for that 300, I've always wondered how people get shots like this, but more importantly, how you find out when the flying is happening.

Is it a daily happening i.e. guaranteed (weather dependant) or would you have to go up all day, everyday for a week, hoping to see the planes?

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We get low flying aircraft flying here but not everyday and only for a short time when they do. Seems like pot luck when they fly - I did have a web site showing times they flew on what days, I will see if I can find it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Always wondered if something like this was available, & never been able to find it.

We're off up the lakes at the end of this month, & it looks like the timetables are relevant for the likes of Shap too - many thanks :thumb:

OP
OP

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
It is weather dependant for seeing the Aircraft and I guess for flying, but talking to the locals in the Red Lion it is every weekday they fly. The two days we was there last week we saw many fly pasts from the farm site. I got a great shot of a cloud , due to my photo skills not being the best. The pilots Know you are there and seemingly some will give you a wave, and turn on the afterbuners for your enjoyment, this came from a four man team who was stopping at the hotel adjacent the farm site.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
This may be common knowledge but worth a mention I think. We stopped at a farm site at Minffordd and the Hotel there is Dog Friendly, very usefull to be able to go inside instead of being eaten alive by the Midges. However that aside the reason for the post is to inform you that this is where Low fly aircraft do the Mach Loop run. Various hill top locations allow a very close up and somewhat amazing views of the aircrafts in training.
My mate is a member of VAS (Valley Aviation Society) and has been photographing military aircraft for years. The mountains at Minffordd were one of his favourite spots and he became a regular up there. All the photographers that still gather there know Tim.

Here is a collection of some of his photos, many of which were taken at the Mach Loop (hence the id name he also used). Sadly his days of taking these kind of photo's came to an abrupt end last April when he suffered a serious stroke and it's looking doubtful he will ever be able to resume a hobby which he was madly passionate about.

http://valleyaviationsociety.net/Coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=143

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I've always wondered how people get shots like this, but more importantly, how you find out when the flying is happening.

Is it a daily happening i.e. guaranteed (weather dependant) or would you have to go up all day, everyday for a week, hoping to see the planes?
First of all to get shots like that you need practice practice practice and more practice! A thorough knowledge of photographic techniques (such as manual mode, depth of field etc etc). Then plenty of patience. A quality digital SLR body gets you half the way there, but be prepared to shell out a few grand on lenses. Just one lens my mate used to take some of his photos cost over three grand.

As for finding out what is flying where and when a lot of info is word of mouth passed between club members etc, but it can also be 'hit n miss' pretty much like the weather, particularly out there at Minffordd. In the past he has been there an entire day without one plane flying through, whilst other days have been almost non-stop!

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
My mate is a member of VAS (Valley Aviation Society) and has been photographing military aircraft for years. The mountains at Minffordd were one of his favourite spots and he became a regular up there. All the photographers that still gather there know Tim.

Here is a collection of some of his photos, many of which were taken at the Mach Loop (hence the id name he also used). Sadly his days of taking these kind of photo's came to an abrupt end last April when he suffered a serious stroke and it's looking doubtful he will ever be able to resume a hobby which he was madly passionate about.

http://valleyaviationsociety.net/Coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=143

Stunning pictures...................:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Stunning pictures...................:thumb:
Tim would appreciate your comment.

To get to this stage took years of perfecting his hobby. He may well have a few grands worth of equipment now but believe it or not he started out with old second hand Praktica camera bodies picked up for a few quid and back then his most expensive lens cost no more than twenty or thirty pounds!

Should have mentioned......in that link I posted, click on Album List which opens up an even bigger gallery of his photos taken in numerous different locations.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Have to agree some real stunning photography :thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
absolutely stunning, I grew up win wales a very proud of my country and these photo's are a dream , wish I could do the same but not a chance with a 5mg camera on my phone :roflmto:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
If you look carefully through the gallery of my mates photos you will see similar to this from some of the Hawk pilots.

First one is on the third page with the navigator holding a piece of paper up and the second one on page six, another Hawk which Tim entitled "Look....no hands!" as the pilot holds both his hands up in the cockpit.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Yes did see that thanks BG. We went through the whole lot this morning and they are the best photos ever, such detail and so clear, so pleased this was posted.

OP
OP

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
When i started this post it was to inform you of the training area for the aircraft, i reckon the thread revealed a few hidden gems, eg Tims photo taking skills, the fact we can all see the aircraft in action if we wish, and more importantly the fact the training is not just for our benefit but for low fly missions in combat situations.

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yup fantastic photo skills, far better than I could ever hope to get!! I'd be happy to just stand there & watch the planes, no stress & I don't embarrass myself by showing my massive lack of photography talent!! ::bigsmile:

KSH

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We stopped at a farm site at Minffordd and the Hotel there is Dog Friendly, very usefull to be able to go inside instead of being eaten alive by the Midges.
May I ask what the site was called or anyone know of any in the area

OP
OP

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
Buckley Arms Hotel - Dinas Mawddwy, Gwynedd Wales. The farm site is 50 yds from the hotel on the same side of the road. The Red Lion is at the end of the village about half a mile from the site. I misread my map on the first post, the village is Minllyn not Minffordd. Sorry about that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back