Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Let's face it Green is God with the last 2 governments.

Every mayor city will follow unfortunately.

Jenny Jones, Green party, was speaking to a friend of mine recently after a radio show they was both involved with. It may appear that we would be singing from differant pages but what we are showing is in fact in the interests of the greens. The evidence is easy to back up and Jenny apparently understood what is REALLY the case here.
People read the reports from TFL and Boris but that is what they want you to read. Unfortunately we have reports commisioned by the mayor that casts many doubts on the LEZ and its effectiveness. Oooops.:Eeek: The Internet and FOI are wonderful tools.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Then Boris is pushing for an Airport off Kent A £50bn plan for the Thames Estuary has been put forward to increase flight capacity without expanding Heathrow.---double standards isnt it:Doh:.

OP
OP
R

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Then Boris is pushing for an Airport off Kent A £50bn plan for the Thames Estuary has been put forward to increase flight capacity without expanding Heathrow.---double standards isnt it:Doh:.
Good morning Mavis:Smile:

I'm not upto speed on airport developments etc but Manston airport is already in Kent and taking international flights. Surely if something is already there it would make sense to upgrade, redevelop that facility? Even if it was a case of taking more European flight traffic to allow Heathrow/Gatwick to receive a bigger volume from further afield like China and America etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Yep Manston is not flying at anywhere near its capacity
http://www.manstonairport.com/flight-and-passenger-info/flight-information/departures.html

But we have a wartime ship that could blow at anytime Boris just hasnt done his homework
AGAIN :winky:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...ombs-threaten-Boris-Island-airport-plans.html

Bless our Boris and his lack of homework...it just gets more farcical as time goes by.:ROFLMAO: I've met Boris and he is a funny chap. Despite his failings he's likeable but that doesn't make it alright to go along with some of his ideas bless him::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I started a protest on facebook on Boris's official site and they have taken it off already :cry::cry::cry:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Excuse my ignorance, however, as I don't tend to travel to London much these days, I've never really been concerned, however, I thought I'd look into it.

I have a 2007 Landrover Defender which has the "Puma" (Ford Transit) 2.4 engine. I did a check on the LEZ site and it coms back as not applicable? I thought 4x4s where?

What I don't understand is that a lot of City Boys run around in their big super toys, but they don't get hit by LEZ?

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Excuse my ignorance, however, as I don't tend to travel to London much these days, I've never really been concerned, however, I thought I'd look into it.

I have a 2007 Landrover Defender which has the "Puma" (Ford Transit) 2.4 engine. I did a check on the LEZ site and it coms back as not applicable? I thought 4x4s where?

What I don't understand is that a lot of City Boys run around in their big super toys, but they don't get hit by LEZ?
Brand new is more likely to be compliant or they might be petrol.

Light 4x4 utility vehicles classed as cars are not affected by the LEZ.

A good forum for you http://www.rib.net/forum/f46/2012-lez-issues-with-4x4-japanese-imports-41221.html on 4x4's seems to me there is going to be chaos in january 2012 so much is registered wrongly

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
See what polution does in LA

California has some of the strongest laws on smog, vehicles have to have a smog certificate each year.. yet LA still gets bad smog at times. That effects a lot of people with breathing problems.

As I have siad before I remember the bad fogs/smogs we had back in the 60's.. ok some of it coal related, but also traffic.

Ask yourself the question: if you had a breathing problem would you prefer to breath normally or have large deposits of carbon chucked out of vehicles that contribute to the issue?

Oh I have no breathing problems myself, but I do see both sides of the coin. If this was just decided last night OK I would feel the same way about it. But it was not, it has been in the making for many years. As said before it is not just London... Many German cities have rules about the same issue.

I have often sat behind vehicles in London going up the Old Kent Road for example that are chucking out muck from the exhaust. Sorry people, I think it is a good idea. If anything I think it should be extended. Get rid of all the old vehicles that cannot comply with the rules. If my vehicle complies then why should yours not? I could have purchased a non complient vehicle - cheaper I suspect, but I do care about the world I live in.

Bob

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
California has some of the strongest laws on smog, vehicles have to have a smog certificate each year.. yet LA still gets bad smog at times. That effects a lot of people with breathing problems.

As I have siad before I remember the bad fogs/smogs we had back in the 60's.. ok some of it coal related, but also traffic.

Ask yourself the question: if you had a breathing problem would you prefer to breath normally or have large deposits of carbon chucked out of vehicles that contribute to the issue?

Oh I have no breathing problems myself, but I do see both sides of the coin. If this was just decided last night OK I would feel the same way about it. But it was not, it has been in the making for many years. As said before it is not just London... Many German cities have rules about the same issue.

I have often sat behind vehicles in London going up the Old Kent Road for example that are chucking out muck from the exhaust. Sorry people, I think it is a good idea. If anything I think it should be extended. Get rid of all the old vehicles that cannot comply with the rules. If my vehicle complies then why should yours not? I could have purchased a non complient vehicle - cheaper I suspect, but I do care about the world I live in.

Bob
Maybe the first thing to get rid of is the big engined RV'S:thumb:

OP
OP
R

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Brand new is more likely to be compliant or they might be petrol.

Light 4x4 utility vehicles classed as cars are not affected by the LEZ.

A good forum for you http://www.rib.net/forum/f46/2012-lez-issues-with-4x4-japanese-imports-41221.html on 4x4's seems to me there is going to be chaos in january 2012 so much is registered wrongly

4x4's are often attacked for various reasons but in a few weeks time they will be yet again saving lives and rescuing stranded motorists.
This is our Toyota on a 4x4 response. Each year we volunteer and help out many people stuck in cars. With my experience in recovery it goes hand in hand with this.
We pull ambulances and Police, even Fire engines out from where they get stuck....FREE. It costs me fuel and time but the thanks are priceless.
We are often out all night and day but without the 4x4's many people would be stranded.

Broken Link Removed

Many vehicles are registered incorrectly be it type or weight...or both. Only when the likes of a scheme like the LEZ does it show just how important the details are.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, said: 'Vans are the lifeblood of this city. Their drivers are knights of the road, an army of entrepreneurs who decorate our homes, fix our plumbing and generally provide all the vital goods and services essential to the smooth running of our city. This noble bunch are mostly small business owners and independent traders who are focused on grafting hard to support their families and build a better future.
'The vast majority of people who are affected by these new changes to the London Low Emission Zone have upgraded their vehicles and need not take any action. But for those remaining people I know these are difficult times and that their vehicles are essential for their livelihoods. I want to do all I can to help. I have already given extra breathing space during the depths of the recession before these standards are introduced. But pollution remains a serious health issue and although we have seen off large fines that were looming from Europe, this remains a real threat unless we take drastic measures.
'So I am pleased to announce I have secured a hefty package of deals with major van manufacturers such as Volkswagen which will help Londoners trade up their vehicles to new, cleaner models. Now is the time to help us tackle dangerous emissions to help those who most deserve our protection. The health of our children is too important to put at risk.'
:cry::cry::cry::cry: he says it so nicely

Broken Link Removed
Examples of other vehicles affected include campervans, motorhomes and ambulances between 2500 and 3500 kg GVW, and minibuses carrying more than eight passengers up to 5000 kg GVW.
Full details of the new LEZ standards, including a checker for owners to see if their vehicle meets the new emissions standards, are available from the Transport for London website, www.tfl.gov.uk/lezlondon.

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fantastic!

Fantastic film - 4.5 minutes of trucks exiting a service area - I could scarcely contain my excitement!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, said: ............................. I want to do all I can to help. I have already given extra breathing space during the depths of the recession before these standards are introduced. But pollution remains a serious health issue and although we have seen off large fines that were looming from Europe, this remains a real threat unless we take drastic measures.

'So I am pleased to announce I have secured a hefty package of deals with major van manufacturers such as Volkswagen which will help Londoners trade up their vehicles to new, cleaner models.

So come on Boris, if you can afford all this why couldnt you fork out for my old but less polluting motorhome to be made compliant after all it meets the mot standards!

And tell me Boris, what fantastic deal have you secured for us to trade up our motorhome when we are a low income family already struggling with fuel bills?

Sorry for the outburst funsters, but its just another one of many topics that really affects quality of life for people who are not lucky enough to be on salaries such as Mr. Johnson.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thank you Chris.. welcome comment

Maybe the first thing to get rid of is the big engined RV'S:thumb:

For those that are not aware I have a 6.8 V10 petrol engine.. it is complient with LEZ now and next year.. the mot always have a problem to get a reading as the Americans have it off pat with very clean engines... Unlike a lot of diesels I might add.. I am not defending the diesel yanks, that is for them to do if they wish. But as far as petrol is concerned the Ford V10 Triton is a very clean power unit. I would also remind you Chris that many, many RV's run also on LPG.. which as well knows is very green and clean.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes it does sound a bit healthy but

I imagine that sounds awesome:thumb:

Yes it does sound a bit healthy... but I can pull a 2 ton Brian James trailer .. makes me 45' long at 1800 rpm at 55 mph all day long... ok it only does 14 mpg... but it is very clean enviromental wise. As are all the Ford Tritons engines.. In some ways we are far behind the USA in respect of pollution. Everyone thinks because it is a yank it is dirty and polutes.. it does not as I have said, have a real issue each year at the MOT station as they cannot get a reading.. I have had to hold the throtle open at 3,000 rpm and for a minutes at a time and they still cannot get a reading.

Before anyone says I am anti diesel.. I used to many yearsago run a small fleet of PSV coaches and had a straight bar tow unit ..a massive Volve long nose unit. Plus a lwb 109" landrover with a Harvey frost crane.. so I have had the diesels, but to be honest I do find some of the older vehicles are well past the present rules let alone next years. I feel for those that have the issue of living inside the LEZ.. but as I have said this is not something that has just hit everyone.. plenty of notice.

Bob

OP
OP
R

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Hi all...oh, merry Christmas :Smile:...get that out the way 1st.

Just an idea I had that may help a few people on here. Seeing as Boris is clearly not going to give any slack on the LEZ, I have come up with an idea that may help some people with vans below the 3.5 tonne limit.

Many larger vans and trucks above 3.5 tonne have had filters fitted when the LEZ 1st came in. In January those filters will be no good and must be traded up for Euro 4 filters. The Euro 3 filters should be popping up for sale shortly. My friend fits filters and he has Three "old" filters available....RECYCLE..:winky:

I see no reason why a filter that makes a vehicle Euro 3 compliant cannot be re-used on my van. If it fits on it will do the job.

I have contacted TFL and I'm awaiting a call back from their tech guy. I will confirm that this is OK, there's no reason why it shouldn't be, and then I shall fit a filter to my VW LT 35.
What will it cost?....The filter is mates rate, £100.00, Fitting is straight forward with a possibility of some slight fabrication of pipework..easy, £75ish....testing and certification?....mates rates at a local installation centre (mates)....£50ish?
So if my idea falls into place I can get my LT sorted for less than £250.::bigsmile:

There's food for thought. Hopefully TFL will see that this is a good idea to RECYCLE filters in such hard times. I can foresee TFL throwing hurdles in the way by means of compatability of filters to certain vehicles, HP, CC etc but i'll certainly give it a go.

Ho Ho Ho...merry Christmas people ::bigsmile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
What about the re-sale value?

According to someone on here, stolen filters are worth £800 for their metals. That makes your friend's £100 rate for a recycled filter look unbelievably good...

OP
OP
R

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
I received a call from TFL today and I spoke with their technical guy...again. I told him about the filter that I can get hold of and the fact that I can get it fitted at a place that fits and tests them. His reply was a bit shocking really and it was much along the following lines.

The filters that were fitted to trucks from 08 onwards to make them Euro 3 compliant are no longer any good....they must now ONLY be FULL systems rather than partial systems. The reasons he gave were the problems experienced with partial filters was with regeneration...they blocked up too easy and to clear them you had to sit there and rev them for 20 minutes or so to raise temperatures...this INCREASED pollution and for that reason I cannot fit them to my van!! So a TFL approved filter that has been tested by VOSA each year and "passed" the smoke test is no good anymore??...."Correct" was his answer.

Also and more worrying is the fact that VOSA are only really looking to see if a filter HAS ACTUALLY BEEN FITTED rather than the results of a smoke test...HUH!!!! So you pay £35 for a smoke test when in reality all you have to do is let them look at the filter? Crazy.
The guy already told me in a previous conversation that the way a DPF filter is constructed they cannot fail to work. The PM10's get caught within the walls of the filter and that is the end of it. The REGENERATION then burns off the soot into harmless ash...supposedly.

So all those that bought partial filters previously were sold filters that didn't work and actually incresed fuel consumption AND added to the emissions....brilliant this LEZ isn't it!
No matter what way you try to dress this up it is a waste of money for clearly minimal benefit. The very fact that we cannot recycle the filters confirms what was said and they know it is a failed scheme...crazy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back