BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I wish I had the cheek to take a pic but .....

Watching a French barmaid take bottles off the tray she is holding and put them between her thighs whilst popping the tops off - still holding the tray - and it's a family bar :ROFLMAO:

Am I wrong enjoying this display of service:winky:

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Not wrong for enjoying it. Wrong for not taking pic so we can all enjoy it. Or even a video!

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Had so much free sausage at this pub - went back to the van (-all of 50 m) and brought them a Brentwood brewery glass ! Why did they do - gave me the sausage guillotine !!!!
Another item I'll be demonstrating at Malvern if if I have any special sausage left :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
What can I say ........
The sausage cutter thing was €56 online - I gave them a €10 tip on the bill - since they have me the thing - then they gaveus 2 free beers and all the staff came out and have us a kiss :winky:
Fantasitc place - can't recommend it enough - obviously!

JIM - we need FUN stickers for favourable places:thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Thanks to mr macdonald - a bit o free wifi!

Left la flèche once my hangover died down (it was a late one!) and headed via Le Mans to a free aire with electric at Rugles. Nice enough but nothing to write home about!

Routing from there and avoiding Rouen I told the snooper to route me via Les Andeleys. What a fab drive - beautiful - and stopped there for a bit of lunch. There's also a site there (p50 in acsi book) which I will definitely visit again! Wish I'd stayed on there - right on banks of the seine with stunning scenery, and a pool!!! Attached pic of mh there in a car park just outside!
Stunning and unexpected!

Arrived at Neufchâtel en bray yesterday - and will honestly be quite happy to leave tomorrow! Yes - nice site - but not particularly friendly staff, bit regimented - too much like a CCC site. Dated facilities and they don't even provide loo roll on the lavs! Glad I found that out before my urgent morning visit:Eeek:
Wish we'd stayed the night at the les Andeleys site - know for next time!

Oh well - ferry tomorrow at 6pm - very reluctantly.

in the words of the former governor of LA - 'I'll be back' :thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 49

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Chuffed you've really enjoyed your first trip - here's to many more::bigsmile:

We'll be over there on Friday night for 2 weeks - can't wait even if my sister & OH are tagging along (they're almost teetotal :Eeek:).

H :thumb:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Really concerned. Going over Friday lunchtime, have you left me any beer and wine to drink or should I buy it on the ferry due to major shortages :Eeek:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Really concerned. Going over Friday lunchtime, have you left me any beer and wine to drink or should I buy it on the ferry due to major shortages :Eeek:

Do t worry Clive - I've left a bit for you!

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I'm amazed, I have never found beer sold by the pint in France. Usually titchy glasses even if you ask for a large one.

Technically it's a half litre - but they do refer to it as a pint - I know this for a fact as I've drunk one or two here!

20 mins of free wifi now at Calais while waiting for the 6pm ferry.

Sad to leave - but looking forward to the return::bigsmile:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we hope you have a smooth crossing.you don't want to break any of your duty free.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
loved reading about your trip and adventures, straight to the point no faffing around with the technical details. cannot wait to hear about your skiing ventures.
Glad your both safe and well:thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Ok Guys - thanks for following this thread, and I hope you found it informative, amusing, or at least a tad interesting! Particularly if you've never ventured over the channel - well, its like going to your first Fun rally - once you do it - you know you'll be back::bigsmile: I know you were all there in spirit:ROFLMAO:

Just a quick few last thoughts to wrap it up;

Driving - absolute piece of cake, set satnav to avoid toll roads, and didn't struggle even with our 8M tag axle MH. The froggies are very patient, and nothing is rushed - with the exception of them pulling out on you from side roads through towns:Eeek: Traffic lights change a bit quick too! Also - on any roundabout, no matter which exit you are taking - stay on the outside lane!

Diesel was around e1.26/1.29 in supermarkets, and e1.35/1.45 on main roads. I basically called it a quid a litre::bigsmile:

Best thing we took - my Satnav. Snooper S7000 ventura, with all the aires and campsite POI's loaded. Never took me wrong once:thumb:

Fav places - Concarneaux, Ile de re, Les Andeleys.

Fav site - La Grainetier on Ile de Re. (In ACSI book)

Aires - Used a few, but only for stopovers between sites. Again, never a problem, and only paid on one. Very easy, and no need to worry about tokens etc unless you need to avail yourself of a half hour of leccy or water where its chargeable. Grey and black dumps all free. We traveled with a full water tank and only ever used the dump facilities. The 'All the Aires' book was very usefull as many of the aires we stayed on I doubt we would have found without it - and there are many many more than are in the book which you just stumble accross everywhere - more so the further South you go.

Shopping - easy peasy, and you can park motorhomes in every supermarket we saw! Liked E. Leclerc chain best, also plenty of Aldi & Lidl. Fresh produce at the side of the road in small isolated stalls also very nice!

Regrets - I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention:ROFLMAO:
......only that we had to come back.:cry:

Advice - in the words of a well known sports brand - Just do it!

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well here I am sitting on the aire at Arras in the rain wondering why you had to take the sun home with you. The beer I can forgive but not the sun :cry:

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
If you get the chance I can recommend a visit to Puy Du Fou. It's not far from Cholet. Give yourself more than one day there to see it all. They have their own aire which makes it easier. If you can include the Cinescenie it is incredible! The whole place is incredible!

http://www.puydufou.com/en/

Wyn

We were there recently and it was fab ! Really enjoyed the trip up on the train and the view is fabulous. :Smile:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Well here I am sitting on the aire at Arras in the rain wondering why you had to take the sun home with you. The beer I can forgive but not the sun :cry:

Sorry Clive - but it's only temporary!
Head south mate - I just checked and it's back to high 20's by the start of next week and sunny ! Highly reccomend a stop at les Andeleys about 3 hours south of arras and avoids Rouen if you're going in that general direction :Cool:

Dr Wolfenstein

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we are newbies
Great stuff Dave, loved reading your adventures. We are headed over to Brittany in early August as first time full timers and hope to work our way down South to Portugal for winter. Merci !

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
looks like someone else is going to make us green with envy.hope you have fun.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We're on the municipal site at La Fleche. Big festival this weekend. Weather not brilliant :(
Get down to the Bar De La Promenade - its location is self explanatory! Small place, but big red neon sign above the front (and its opposite the free aire!) They do a mean sausage guillotine!!!!! May even remember us - so you'll prob get barred:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back