loves and hates, New Motorhome, touring park (1 Viewer)

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Flat pitches,
Shower/toilet block even if it is only a small one, (even though we have a shower it is nice to use on site facilities every now and then)
Dogs allowed,
Hard Standings for winter use,
Water and waste Emptying facilities,
Fresh water,
EHU and Non EHU choice of pitches

Good luck with it all

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What I would want for myself is Just Water and Waste services, a pleasant view not regimented not too overlooked and peace & quiet.

No need for Showers or EHU or wi-fi or TV point or public services close by or shops.

What I would want if I was building a site would be all of what I want and what I don't want as everyone's needs are different.

I go with that Griff..after all its a business at the end of the day and any profit has to be maximised. ..Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I go with that Griff..after all its a business at the end of the day and any profit has to be maximised. ..Roy

But he won't please everyone. The trick is to figure out how to please the majority and forget the rest.

Some people say they absolutely must have full on luxury facilities and wouldn't dream of visiting anywhere that has even one thing missing. I keep seeing WiFi mentioned as a "site essential". WiFi for pities sake!!!!! o_O

That type of site puts other people off and they won't visit places like that for any number of reasons.

Which group do you try and please because you won't keep them both happy?

Not that it matters but I'm firmly in the second group.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Flat pitches,
Shower/toilet block even if it is only a small one, (even though we have a shower it is nice to use on site facilities every now and then)
Dogs allowed,
Hard Standings for winter use,
Water and waste Emptying facilities,
Fresh water,
EHU and Non EHU choice of pitches

Good luck with it all

That sounds almost ideal,as motorhomer ,caravaner would be accommodated..and of course the site would probably be closed for a couple of months of the year.so he would need to attract as much business as possible to make the site a viable proposition. So yes this is the sort of site I would like to stay at ,not just overnight as some people would advocate as they are touring ,but so that I could park up for a few days and enjoy the surrounding area with a degree of vehicle and personal security. Roy..

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
But he won't please everyone. The trick is to figure out how to please the majority and forget the rest.

I agree with that but at the same time as appealing to your CHOSEN client base.

I spent a lot of money so that I wouldn't need to rely on site facilities. I don't intend watching the telly too much but I have DVD and blu ray if I need to and Full-On Sky. I would like to see the surrounding area by foot or bike or Motorbike. I don't particularly want to listen to kids playing but they may well be my grand-sprogs. If I am in your chosen client base then I don't want to Pay for stuff I don't use,

...........I've already paid.......I am a tight Arse........

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree with that but at the same time as appealing to your CHOSEN client base.

I spent a lot of money so that I wouldn't need to rely on site facilities. I don't intend watching the telly too much but I have DVD and blu ray if I need to and Full-On Sky. I would like to see the surrounding area by foot or bike or Motorbike. I don't particularly want to listen to kids playing but they mat well be my grand-sprogs. If I am in your chosen client base then I don't want to Pay for stuff I don't use, I've already paid.

Exactly my point. I don't want to pay for hookup that I don't really need or shower blocks, laundrys and cafes that I definitely won't use.

I also prefer grass to hard standing if I have the option and I despise regimented marked out pitches but that's just me.

The point is that if we are in the minority or the chosen client base are the people who really really can't possibly do without all that crap then we will be given the option of paying for the superfluous trappings we don't need or not staying there at all.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If there was so much dog mess to pick up there were clearly a lot of dogs and therefore a lot of dog owners to alienate from this potential new site!

You and I will never agree.

As a dog owner, I don't like treading in the stuff or dodging it constantly, ultimately it is the owners fault, not the dogs. Kick out irresponsible customers, whatever rule they are violating. There are already enough places dogs can't go because 'man' says so!

There really was crap alll over the central area, ask folk who were there.
It has to be said the offenders were not from Fun.

There will never be agreement on the issue of dogs, each has his own view.

Regarding places dogs can't go because 'man' says so....
that's as it should be.
Surely people should take precedence over hobby animals?

Anyway, the question asked was about what we want in a site.
I would like dog, and the always present, dog shit free sites.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Exactly my point. I don't want to pay for hookup that I don't really need or shower blocks, laundrys and cafes that I definitely won't use.

I also prefer grass to hard standing if I have the option and I despise regimented marked out pitches but that's just me.

The point is that if we are in the minority or the chosen client base are the people who really really can't possibly do without all that crap then we will be given the option of paying for the superfluous trappings we don't need or not staying there at all.
Plenty of CLs and CSs providing basic pitches - but they aren't really cheap compared to the typical European aire.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Plenty of CLs and CSs providing basic pitches - but they aren't really cheap compared to the typical European aire.

I know. I'm not saying I don't want to pay at all, I'm saying I don't want to pay to subsidise a load of unnecessary extra facilities for other people when IMO they defeat the point of having a motor home in the first place.

We use a mixtures of CLs/CSs and Britstops in this country and happily pay whatever is asked. The only "big" site I like is Lyndon Top because it's the absolute antithesis of the club stalags.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would say the best thing is to go for whatever type of site appeals to the owner. It will then attract similar people who he will get on well with!. Or just go for the best return of course it will depend on the cost of works and finance to cover them and the ongoing cost of cleaning etc and maintenance (especially for showers etc) and possible staff. Asking on the forum is a waste of time there are as many opinions as people and who is to say the people on here would be the best market!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I know. I'm not saying I don't want to pay at all, I'm saying I don't want to pay to subsidise a load of unnecessary extra facilities for other people when IMO they defeat the point of having a motor home in the first place.

We use a mixtures of CLs/CSs and Britstops in this country and happily pay whatever is asked. The only "big" site I like is Lyndon Top because it's the absolute antithesis of the club stalags.

So Nick going on that premise would you advocate a basic price per pitch and then pay for any extras such as ,ehu ,shower,wash up areas etc etc . Cos I reckon that's the way to go to satisfy the majority ..imho Roy

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
With due respect no business could succeed with no diversity..motorhome owners (yes I am one) like myself like to have a degree of security especially if disabled.so although I like your idea of a Scottish aire,I don't think it would suit me..but everyone to his own . Roy.
My question Roy was what is the OP idea? Most posts seem to assume it should be a full blown camp site.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

That may be true but I'm not subsidising any one else and they are usually good for peace and quiet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So Nick going on that premise would you advocate a basic price per pitch and then pay for any extras such as ,ehu ,shower,wash up areas etc etc . Cos I reckon that's the way to go to satisfy the majority ..imho Roy

Yes in theory but I think it would prove too difficult to administer for the majority of sites.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
One of our favourite sites is in Wells and all it is is a wonderfully level field, with compost loos, each pitch marked out with flowers or shrubs, recycling bins for each pitch and some places here and there for a fire, dotted with a picnic table or two. No showers, tho that is a drawback. Nothing worse for lots of peeps than an onsite bar room :/ A local nearby tho be fab :D
Above criteria keeps costs down and becomes somewhere to sit and relax rather than be a frantic, 5 star souless hell :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My question Roy was what is the OP idea? Most posts seem to assume it should be a full blown camp site.

Not entirely sure of the ultimate goal ,but he says " a 60 unit " development and asked what would we like to see . Etc etc so the assumption that myself and many others we making was that it was intended to be a camping / touring site..Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes in theory but I think it would prove too difficult to administer for the majority of sites.
But we are just discussing on this thread the intention /aspirations of the OP to open a new facility,so it shouldn't be too hard to do that I would have thought....Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But we are just discussing on this thread the intention /aspirations of the OP to open a new facility,so it shouldn't be too hard to do that I would have thought....Roy

I guess an independent site could do it if they wanted to and it would be great if they did.

Can you imagine the carnage if the two big clubs tried it? :confused:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

It would be a nightmare the way some people go out of their way to avoid any costs.
I live on and am very friendly with the owner of the site in my signature, some of the tales they tell of how people treat sites needs to be seen to be believed.
So get more staff to control it you may say but that leads to more charges to control the few idiots around.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It would be a nightmare the way some people go out of their way to avoid any costs.
I live on and am very friendly with the owner of the site in my signature, some of the tales they tell of how people treat sites needs to be seen to be believed.
So get more staff to control it you may say but that leads to more charges to control the few idiots around.

I don't think there is a definitive answer to the original request because of the "public" but I wish him the best and will do my utmost to spend some of my pathetic pension to help him maintain the site when it opens. Roy

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Here is what I dislike about sites, as well as what I do.

Our first MH had a shower, but for both of us it was too small to use. It's handy when touring sometimes to get an early morning or late night shower out of the MH on the site. The best shower facilities have at least double the space the standard model person designers go for. We are suffering from many ailments, especially arthritis. You need not to contort in a narrow space to dry and put clothes on and off. I dont like Eco showers that are barely warm and ration time. I like showers and toilets that are clean, once a day cleaning may not be enough at busy times.

Though we can last several days without electricity we do need charging facilities at times, so suggestions regarding metering are good. It benefits site owners, and will stop the unscrupulous because whoever is allocated has to pay for what they actually use, even if others are piggy backing off a no electric pitch.

Some of the newer drive over waste dumps built into service points are good for grey water. Cater for right and left hand drive vehicles please.

I don't want to park in mud on a commercial site, or in bad weather cross grass to get into the pitch with a heavy van. Better sites have a number of RV pitches where they don't need to drive round the whole one way to get in and out. Not an RV, ours us 4 ton, quite a weight on wet grass.

I like the idea of my pitch being my pitch, people walking through between my awning pole and vehicle because it's the shortest point between A and B is annoying. I like delineated individual continental pitches, and prefer those organised in small delineated groupings as preferred to open plan.

If large enough, a separate area for those with pets, with a large pet walk area nearby to that area.

The better sites have three sets of facilities for children. A toddler type area, clearly fenced and gated with gates that have a heavy duty stay shut Spring, despite parents needing to accompany them. Some kind of swings/climbing frame area for the up to 12's. A mini ball games area set out for football, basketball etc., though a large field from which pets are banned and which has large signs to that effect is good as an interim.

If you have play facilities nearby, only the toddler one us a must.

If remote from public transport the car hire is a good idea, and bike hire.

A small shop unless there are good nearby facilities.

Many of the none camping features can perhaps be leased out to enterprising locals if you want to minimise your hours and staffing.

If no nearby facility, are there any mobile facilities can call in a couple of times a week, fish and chip vans seem to go down well. French bakeries do a good call in the morning trade on many sites.

A smile with the welcome when we arrive, not only makes you want to return, it makes recommendations to others easier.

A late night arrivals facility is good. We get too many major hold ups lasting many hours on our road networks these days. Some diversion routes in Scotland can be getting up to 100 miles.

Gated access that prevents access/egress between 11pm and 7 am as a minimum. If you need to leave earlier, park in the late arrivals before you leave.

The facility to call in or a fee and drop waste, get fresh water, get a few hours charge is good when touring.

You will never please everybody. Good luck.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
All of the previous suggestions, plus an onsite massage parlour staffed by uninhibited nubile young ladies, with special funster rates.or am I asking too much.!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All of the previous suggestions, plus an onsite massage parlour staffed by uninhibited nubile young ladies, with special funster rates.or am I asking too much.!
And for the ladies...
tb2.jpg

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
got to page 3 and i cant belive nobody has said "FREE WINE"

will read on

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if it's a CAMPING site you therefore have to cater for tent dwellers, as well as caravans and Mohos - which does mean you need showers that you can get an adult and a couple of kiddies inside, and enough loos.

We've been talking about Skegness Sands site today as it happens our next door neighbour is more than just thinking about buying a static on there - and we've stayed on the touring bit, which is a much smaller area than the statics but well supplied with stuff we need - but you do have to pay for that. All the loos and showers on the touring section have an entry code - this is a good idea since little kids do seem to sometimes have a habit of trailing miles of loo roll around or deciding how many loo rolls they can get in one pan, complete with cardboard ...... which is a danger if they are 'open' access.

The showers were each separate, unisex rooms including 2 'family' ones - so Pete and I could shower together and it was more convenient for us to do that instead of having to wait whilst the other returned with the shared toiletries we use in the Moho.

We'd actually been on a 5 day rally in Lincolnshire before going to Skeg for a couple of days to see Pete's little bro, as they live there - so as we were in a field with no facilities - it made sense to use the onsite facilities on the campsite when we got there BUT!!! they don't have a drive=over grey water drain, which was a piggin nuisance, since our grey waste dump is smack in the middle of underneath, only the release for that is on the side - otherwise you have to crawl underneath with an empty bucket and crawl out again with a full one and it takes 2 of you, one to crawl and one to operate the valve. It's a PITA when such usable facilities are not available, frankly. On hardstanding - you can't even 'accidentally' water the grass. (some sites on grass actually ask you to do that - so we do)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back