Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Loved flying, love kayaking and love...errr, caravaning. No, I'm not on the wrong site but I am, perhaps about to make exactly the same presentation as everybody else, albeit not word for word of course.
Having had three caravans now a very long story can be shortened by telling that the last one is a Coachman VIP520/4. Not an inexpensive item purchased only last August.
My dilemma is probably well known to most of you. I have found that I really dislike towing. I am good at it but... the narrow lanes, the silly speed limits that annoy other road users and the setting up or down when arriving or leaving in the rain has all become a bit too much for me.
So, enter the thought. Would a motorhome be the answer? I have, of course, done my research and am aware of the advantages and disadvantages but, even so I struggle with the COST of the things... and I am not hard up.
The object of my thinking is the 2015 Swift Rio 320. Panel van size with a coach built fuselage. OK, bodywork. But... the cost. Nearly £47,000 with £19,000 offered in P/X for my Coachman.
Cost to change, £28,000. As my partner is keen to point out, we could have a lot of pretty good holidays for that. She is right. I haven't even mentioned that the insurance, the road tax and the service would come to about £1,000 a year.
So... Is it really worth it? Is the upgrade from a top caravan to a motorhome really worth all that money. Am I asking priests if they believe in God?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hire one first...... see what you think :)

There are other makes apart from the one you mention at all sorts of prices, you need to work out the layout that is right for you.

Oh, and welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome, never had a caravan so I can't really answer your question although I am certain plenty of other folks will (y)

OP
OP
B

Bravoalpha

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nothing at to do with flying, or kayaking for the matter but the post required a little telling about ones self. I thought I'd keep it short.
Tucano two, your picture... Do we have something in common?
BravoAlpha.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My advise.....

Buy a slightly older van and let the first owner take the massive depreciation hit and all the "new van" niggles and problems should have been addressed.
a 2 year old model may be 20% cheaper than new and the majority of owners look after their vans with a vengence.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do what PD says and hire one (y) you may think you have an idea on layout with having caravans but there is nothing like having a few days in a M/H to make your mind up on what you want/don't want --Buy a van for the same money your caravan is worth -you don't need the newest thing on site to enjoy the m/h ;)That way you will get a decent m/h without wasting money to find out if you like it plus once tried you can upgrade later
terry

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Easy to say go for it, we much prefer it. Its a lifestyle choice.
How much does a good towcar + top caravan cost?
How much does Moho cost?
As puddleduck says could you hire one first?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Stacks of bargain vans out there without buying new. Many people have been through a few vans before they found one that has the least compromise and this is very expensive down the new van route.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This prize specimen is only for sale because they unexpectedly had a baby and it isn't belted up for extras
Broken Link Removed

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi, we had caravans for over 20 years, finishing with our only brand new one, a Coachman Pastiche 520 in 2012 when Les took early retirement.

I loved that caravan but Les had never been happy towing and we got fed up with the faffing around setting up once on site. I didn't tow the caravan either so when Les had some health issues we had a rethink and swopped to a mh last September.

We both wish that we'd done it ages ago - so quick and easy and we share the driving.

The only thing I would say is look at as many as possible before deciding.

Good luck, whichever way you go:)

OP
OP
B

Bravoalpha

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Puddleduck.
Thanks for the reply. I think that the Swift Rio 320 has the layout I like but also, it has the latest timber free construction. That, I really like.
Older motorhomes, like older caravans, have dreadful interiors. Ten years ago they were like museums and five years ago they were a 'nightmare in orange' as my partner dryly puts it. Only very recently have the interiors reflected modern design and the Swift brand seem to be the market leaders here.
I had thought about hiring one but a short time ago I had cause to hire a Mercedes Sprinter van and really enjoyed that. Not much to do with motorhomes of course but a combination of the sheer fun of driving the vehicle combined with a knowledge of camping in a caravan has only helped to fuel the fire.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Welcome to Fun.
Perhaps buy an older model? Our first MH we bought last September is nine years old - try deciding on your budget and see what you like in that price range.

We did the justifying bit of how many holidays you can have for the money but it doesn't really work! Just decided to do it anyway and hope we'd made the right decision, if we hadn't we could sell it.

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: Oh, just seen your reply to Puddleduck, so you won't be interested in my suggestion.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Getting out of Britain and not having to book campsites is the biggest freedom, just turn up at Calais and toss a coin.

OP
OP
B

Bravoalpha

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Houdini, I take the point about 'the holidays' and just buying it. I'm so close to the edge but...

By the way, I really hope that my previous post about older vans didn't offend. No offence was meant I promise.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you don't like the idea of a older van then PDs post about hiring one or even two first is probably more important -just to make up your mind you really want one and what you want;)
terry

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
No, not at all - you buy what you can afford and we could only afford an old one! And we love the layout we have. Funnily enough, our only other experience was last year hiring a Maui Ultima 2 berth MH in New Zealand and got hooked - and that is based on the Mercedes Sprinter van!! :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We were in the same predicament . We had a beautiful modern Quality caravan. Our Budget for a Motorhome ended up doubling. Most of the 2 nd hand motorhomes were smelly old sheds being sold at a premium. The newer ones 7 years ago were in our opinion , like entry level caravans , within our 30/35 price range.
We knew the layout we wanted. We didn't want train carriage seating. We kept going back to the one we bought.
A 3 year old CI Mizar GTL living top class.
We could have had the new version , of the same model, for only a few thousand more. But we didn't like the build quality and layout as much. We wanted the space to lounge , Like in our caravan. To be able to all have our own space. Hard with a family of 5.
We had her fully refoamed and reupholstered. She was perfect. We got it right first time. The fact she was fully winterised and had Webasto heating , a bonus !
But now she's for sale.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...pclass-2006-30k-on-clock.105202/#post-1365554
We are converting a new boxer xlwb.
We are so glad we bought our Mizar. If we could have afforded to do it sooner, When the kids were even younger, we would have. Motorhoming is so much easier. It suits our style of camping. Which is moving about , place to place. Not sticking to one pitch and setting up a setee and standard lamp in the awning.
Good luck in your search. Look in loads, check the quality of the cupboards and stand in the shower as if your having one . Same with the loo .

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Would a motorhome be the answer?

YES, YES, YES!! (I sound like Sally from Harry met Sally ... )

It is more than worth it. There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between the inconvenience of a caravan and the sheer unadulterated joy of a motorhome. As you are not hard up then buy the best you can afford, as new as you can afford. They hold their value better than you would think as long as you buy sensibly. And they aren't that expensive to keep, a bit of road tax, fuel consumption is higher but the lovely feeling of everything being right there in the van with you, it cannot be explained, it has to be experienced. Especially the big motorhomes where you walk around thinking "did I buy a motorhome or a damn apartment?"

Do it. Sell that caravan. Buy that motorhome. Just do it. (y)

In fact do it this weekend and report back to us please. :LOL:[/QUOTE]

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just bear in mind that if you use a motorhome like a caravan you will find it unsatisfactory. I have had a few caravans and with those the general idea is that you tow it to a site and then explore the local area in the towcar, coming back to the same site at night. In a motorhome the best way is to go to a different location every day or two, and do your exploring on the way. If doing this in the uk a bit of planning is required due to the lack of sites and the frequent need to book.
You can take a toad but then you're towing again.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Loved the look/ idea of the Rio 320 - travelled a long way to see one - tiny worksurface in the kitchen, tiny overhead lockers in the bed/ lounge area (very shallow front-to-back). Nowhere near enough for us. We both thought it'd make a great weekender but not much more.
Depends on how you want to use your moho.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there are a number of motorhomes based on the merc sprinter chassis, as you said a real pleasure to drive. Ok so the difference, with a caravan you go to one site and sit there, with a motorhome you tour, see the countryside, towns and villages. There are cost savings to be made if you cut the umbilical and wildcamp.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Currently a Broken Link Removed worth having a look!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A factor to take into account is how often are you going to use the MH? We are only in our second year of MH ownership having been caravanners many years ago and we will probably be away a total of around 4 months in 2015. We have had several short trips away so far this year and later this month will be off to do an 8 week trundle round Spain and then perhaps 6 weeks in France in the autumn plus more short trips to Cornwall, which is an easy run from where we live. Next year we will do better, Greece beckons!

Some expensive MHs get used only two weeks a year. This is probably not the best use of capital (a luxury two weeks in the Maldives would be cheaper) but it is the owner's decision. Perhaps they just like something big and shiny parked on their drive? Or maybe they just hope to use it more in the future?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We had a caravan and it was dragged out, checked over, packed and dragged off somewhere a couple of times a year. The campervan however is ready to go in under 30 minutes and so is used 8-10 times a year.. would be more if we had more time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back