Lourdes (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Can anyone comment on the sites at Lourdes as Mrs has expressed a desire to go there. Is it necessary or desirable to book ahead (something I have never done in France).

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hellooo!

Just had a look on the internet and found out most of the campsites shut on the 10th of October . The" camping de la forêt" doesn't say anything about when it opens and shuts . So have you already found one ? If yes , just tell me which one and i'll mail them and ask whether you should book or not . I would be very careful as Lourdes has always a lot of people/tourists coming. I hope you'll find sometime to go to the Pic du Midi de Bigorre!!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks Frankie,

Probably wont go till next Summer:Cool:. I rather fancy 'Camping La Poste' only 10 pitches in the town and takes dogs (essential)

Have you been there? Lourdes that is, not necessarily that campsite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yes I have been there , but a long time ago so must have changed a lot, and so my informations would be now useless! It has always been very busy and I tend to avoid such places ....especially in summer! It is packed !!!That's all I can tell you. :Smile:

If you like walking , have a go for the "cirque de Gavarnie" as well, which is a real beautiful place!

In Cauteret , you can go up the mountains in summer with the cable cars.

Last advice not the least , once you'll be on the road of "col du Tourmalet" think of always use your engine brake or you'll have no more brakes when you get to the other side of the mountain (it happened to me ... and indeed .... I was quite in a shock not being able to stop :Blush::roflmto:)

Anyway , do you want me to send them an e-mail about booking or not booking ?

Let me know! as I am in portugal at the moment I can't phone to them ... it would have been quicker of course!

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Lourdes will be packed with Catholic pilgrims. Many sick and infirm travel as well in special ambulances hoping for a miracle.

I went to Lourdes with the school (convent) when I was in my teens (many years ago) My memories of it was lots and lots of sick people and loads of holy water.

Also a proliferation of tacky ornaments.

Sonja

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Sonja, we were there last year ...and it has'nt changed

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes I have been there , but a long time ago so must have changed a lot, and so my informations would be now useless! It has always been very busy and I tend to avoid such places ....especially in summer! It is packed !!!That's all I can tell you. :Smile:

If you like walking , have a go for the "cirque de Gavarnie" as well, which is a real beautiful place!

In Cauteret , you can go up the mountains in summer with the cable cars.

Last advice not the least , once you'll be on the road of "col du Tourmalet" think of always use your engine brake or you'll have no more brakes when you get to the other side of the mountain (it happened to me ... and indeed .... I was quite in a shock not being able to stop :Blush::roflmto:)

Anyway , do you want me to send them an e-mail about booking or not booking ?

Let me know! as I am in portugal at the moment I can't phone to them ... it would have been quicker of course!

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

It would be good if you would email them for me, as I would like to know. No hurry:thumb:

I would expect the place to be full of the sick, and loads of tacky souvenirs as well, and Shirley will no doubt have to queue for ages to get into the grotte ( I shall look after the dog in a convenient bar, though I still haven't been able to get the French ability to make a very tiny beer last for three hours:Smile:)

Its in a nice area though.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We have been to Lourdes twice. The first time it was bursting with the sick and dying. It was quite a moving experience.

The second time we went was on some sort of bank holiday. We were staggered to note that God had taken the day off as well. The place was deserted.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I lived about an hour and a half from Lourdes and visited several times.
Yes, the streets are full of "gift shops" with some well made items, plastic bottles (to collect your water in) and a lot of very tacky items.
Yes, there are of course a lot of ill and disabled people, but I found it far from depressing, a very uplifting place.
A lot of ill and disabled people are housebound, have limited social interaction etc... and at Lourdes they've had a holiday with liked-minded people, had others to chat with, eat with, share stories with. There are thousands of teenagers who work as assistants, pushing wheelchairs, fetching and carrying, listening and so on. It renewed my faith in young adults if nothing else!!! 40C+ and they were fetching candles, pushing some pretty heavy wheelchairs (and I speak from experience as an ex-wheelchair pusher!) and sitting in cafes listening and talking with people at least 2 generations (and sometimes 3 or 4!) older than themselves.
Even if you are not religious it is well worth visiting Lourdes, the church is beautiful, the grotto also, and the whole place is immaculately clean and tidy (I found)
Do go up the Pic du Midi, as Frankie says, it is beautiful, a very special place.

Lourdes will be very, very busy so if you can book ahead I think that would be your best option.
Before my first visit, someone described Lourdes as Blackpool with Religion, I'm glad I ignored their remark and went with an open mind.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I used to take my Venture scouts to Lourdes to help as Brancardiers (strecher carriers) but it had changed to mainly wheelchair pushing. The time to go is when OFTAL have their pilgrimage. It is the Italian opera charity and if you like good singing thats the time to go,it used to be in August.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have stayed at Camping Du Loup a couple of times - once in May and once in July - didn't book and had no problem getting a pitch - not at all busy. Short walk into Basilica / Grotto via a footpath along the river.
Once there it's easy to walk to the railway stationa and get the train to Pau or the bus to Cauterets and then the bus to Pont D'espagne. great days out!

Yes there are tacky shops but other parts of the town are quite charming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back