Loud 40-mins of hissing 7 hours after engine off!? (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugout boxer c clas
So we finally got to inspect our 2020 Peugout Boxer this morning after 6 months of CoVId enforced separation (it is stored in a secure compound away from our home). It needed a jump start then I ran its engine for 30 mins to charge the battery then I locked it up and left at 1pm.

Got a call from the compound staff at 8pm to say a loud sound like “a gas cylinder being opened up” had been coming from under the driver’s side for 40 minutes but had stopped just as he phoned me. This was 7 hours after I’d turned the engine off. No smell of gas, no signs of fluid leaks underneath the van. I’m going over there tomorrow to see for myself but any ideas of what it could be and any clues I can look for?

OP
OP
N
Apr 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugout boxer c clas
Thanks Wigster. Nice to be here :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Angry snake under the bonnet?

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi
Welcome to Fun
Not familiar with the Peugeot but our Volvo car has been known to do a similar thing a number of hours after running and is the heater unit cooling fan purging the air conditioning unit according to the dealers. May help.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
And welcome to Fun. 😜

OP
OP
N
Apr 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugout boxer c clas
The chap on site who phoned us survived without any bites so I’m ruling out snakes 😉

Googling it (surprisingly issue hard to google for) eventually led to the EVAP system test being the lightly answer. It runs a test for fuel leaks but only 5-12 hours after the engine is off to let all the metal components cool and contract which makes leaks more evident. It vents excess fuel vapour, hence the hissing, but charcoal filters out the fuel smell beforehand. As the battery was flat for maybe 2-3 month, I guess it had a lot of venting to do. I’ll check with our dealer but that’s likely it. Opening a door or switching on electrics delays the test, so it’s rare to witness it happening when you are camping (I haven’t in 4 years of frequent weekends away in 3 different vans (though the 1982 Sherpa probably didn’t have this feature 😉).

Hopefully I‘ve now saved someone else a lot of Googling and concern 🙂

Now I just need to get it out for a good motorway run to clear the diesel particulate filter!

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Chris Farley Hello GIF

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The chap on site who phoned us survived without any bites so I’m ruling out snakes 😉

Googling it (surprisingly issue hard to google for) eventually led to the EVAP system test being the lightly answer. It runs a test for fuel leaks but only 5-12 hours after the engine is off to let all the metal components cool and contract which makes leaks more evident. It vents excess fuel vapour, hence the hissing, but charcoal filters out the fuel smell beforehand. As the battery was flat for maybe 2-3 month, I guess it had a lot of venting to do. I’ll check with our dealer but that’s likely it. Opening a door or switching on electrics delays the test, so it’s rare to witness it happening when you are camping (I haven’t in 4 years of frequent weekends away in 3 different vans (though the 1982 Sherpa probably didn’t have this feature 😉).

Hopefully I‘ve now saved someone else a lot of Googling and concern 🙂

Now I just need to get it out for a good motorway run to clear the diesel particulate filter!
Go on then and don't keep us in suspenders,show us a picture of your van.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So we finally got to inspect our 2020 Peugout Boxer this morning after 6 months of CoVId enforced separation (it is stored in a secure compound away from our home). It needed a jump start then I ran its engine for 30 mins to charge the battery then I locked it up and left at 1pm.

Got a call from the compound staff at 8pm to say a loud sound like “a gas cylinder being opened up” had been coming from under the driver’s side for 40 minutes but had stopped just as he phoned me. This was 7 hours after I’d turned the engine off. No smell of gas, no signs of fluid leaks underneath the van. I’m going over there tomorrow to see for myself but any ideas of what it could be and any clues I can look for?
Can't help with the noise. However, 30 minutes of idling won't significantly charge the battery, but will slightly damage the engine and emission control systems. I suggest that you take a fully charged battery with you and swap it out every time you visit if you have no charging facilities on site. Or just remove the battery entirely and keep it charged at home if you have no alarm/tracker that needs to be running.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to get hissing occasionally on our campers for no apparent reason, the duration varied, never an issue though.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
nicmalone I would dearly love it if you subscribed simply so I can know what van you have!! It looks wonderfully compact! We love short little vans and, to paraphrase Di Ian Malcom (Jurassic Park) "We are always on the lookout for the next ex-van!"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
nicmalone I would dearly love it if you subscribed simply so I can know what van you have!! It looks wonderfully compact! We love short little vans and, to paraphrase Di Ian Malcom (Jurassic Park) "We are always on the lookout for the next ex-van!"
It looks smaller than it is due to the way the photo has been taken/filtered ... It's an Elddis Sunseeker 115 I believe (a Somerset Motorhomes dealer special of the Autoquest with different decals etc).

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
It looks smaller than it is due to the way the photo has been taken/filtered ... It's an Elddis Sunseeker 115 I believe (a Somerset Motorhomes dealer special of the Autoquest with different decals etc).
Ahh, Thanks Mel! We are drooling over the size and layout of the Sunlight T-58 and this looked around that size from the picture. Thanks for the info!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back