Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
My & him indoors are planning what we hope will be a long trip round as much of Europe as we can do. As MH virgins I have lots of questions!

How long in each country?

How long in total?

Any really clever ways of getting round the MOT visit to UK?

Best vehicle insurance company?

Does anyone bother with health insurance or rely on whatever the replacement of the E111 is called?

LHD/RHD?

Good websites for other info?

Is it worth booking ahead to campsites, or turn up on spec?

How good are the France Passion sites?

I'm sure I will be back soon with more questions!!:RollEyes:

donna g

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
My & him indoors are planning what we hope will be a long trip round as much of Europe as we can do. As MH virgins I have lots of questions!

How long in each country? AS LONG AS YOU LIKE!!!::bigsmile:

How long in total?UP TO YOU!::bigsmile:

Any really clever ways of getting round the MOT visit to UK? NO!!:Sad:

Best vehicle insurance company? WE USE SAFEGUARD:thumb:

Does anyone bother with health insurance or rely on whatever the replacement of the E111 is called?EHIC ONLY COVERS YOU FOR WHATEVER THE LOCALS GET FOR FREE SO YOU DO NEED TRAVEL INSURANCE - LOOK AT INSUREANDGO:Smile:

LHD/RHD? WE HAVE RHD AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS

Good websites for other info? JUST GOOGLE ALL THE COUNTRIES YOU WANT TO VISIT::bigsmile:

Is it worth booking ahead to campsites, or turn up on spec? TURN UP ON SPEC - NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM::bigsmile:

How good are the France Passion sites? BRILLIANT IF YOU'RE NOT MORE THAN ABOUT 8 METRES::bigsmile:

I'm sure I will be back soon with more questions!!:RollEyes:

donna g

GOOD LUCK - YOU'LL HAVE A GREAT TIME I'M SURE - WE DO!!:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi again Donna, welcome to motorhome fun. Most of your questions, the answers are the same as for a boat, you stay as long as you find it interesting. Europe is a mecca for motorhomes with aires and french passion, wild camping around every corner, no massive mooring fees. As no country is exempt some sort of test the best option for long term may be to buy in Europe, someplace central so you can return for local tax, MOT or what ever. but others may have other ideas. You cannot lgally imprt a motorhome to Europe now unlest the habitation door is at the rear or OPENS ON THE RIGHT. So LHD it is. saves problems with lights dipping the wrong way as well. Other questions will I am sure be soon answered. Lots of which have indeed already been answered in other posts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
Thanks, the one that was bothering me is the how long in each country question & how long out of the UK. We have stayed in Eire for a period of time before & didn't have a problem, but I know of someone who owns property in the UK & France, and spends just less than 6 months in France - I think it's to do with being out of the UK for 6 months means you lose certain NHS rights. I'll check out the sies/companies you mention - thanks! :thumb:

OP
OP
D

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
Hello again Wildman!
Yes it will be nice to save the 5 grand a year mooring fees! :ROFLMAO:
I'd forgotten about the opening door thing, but short term visitors must get round that somehow??

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks, the one that was bothering me is the how long in each country question & how long out of the UK. We have stayed in Eire for a period of time before & didn't have a problem, but I know of someone who owns property in the UK & France, and spends just less than 6 months in France - I think it's to do with being out of the UK for 6 months means you lose certain NHS rights. I'll check out the sies/companies you mention - thanks! :thumb:

According to my doctor last week when I went to see how many prescriptions I could get you are only allowed 2 months at a time and if you are out of UK for more than 3 months you fall off the NHS!:Sad: Of course you don't have to tell them you're out of the UK!!::bigsmile:

Marie
:ROFLMAO:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You wont be able to have a van registered in a central country for MOT and tax reasons unless you have a permanent address there .6 months is max allowed to stay away from UK before you loose rights etc but are you really going to tell them when you leave ????.
On our last trip that lasted 2 months we only stayed on a camp site for 2 days.
Saved the mooring fees.
We had a 10 mtr yacht at sutton marina for 5 years god knows what the morring fees are now though.

OP
OP
D

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
That's really useful, thanks. Without saying too much, in case BB is listening in (just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!), we have come across the 6 month rule whilst sailing, & yes, I agree, there are ways around it...

We are in Mount Batten at the mo, it's good (except it's raining), but we just fancy a change, and MH seems to be a good way to see bits we wouldn't see from a boat ::bigsmile:

Do you live in Spain now then?

OP
OP
D

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
According to my doctor last week when I went to see how many prescriptions I could get you are only allowed 2 months at a time and if you are out of UK for more than 3 months you fall off the NHS!:Sad: Of course you don't have to tell them you're out of the UK!!::bigsmile:

Marie
:ROFLMAO:

Yes, this is a nuisance, my husband will have to stockpile & hope we don't get picked up as drug smugglers! :Blush:

OP
OP
D

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
Hi again Donna, welcome to motorhome fun. Most of your questions, the answers are the same as for a boat, you stay as long as you find it interesting. Europe is a mecca for motorhomes with aires and french passion, wild camping around every corner, no massive mooring fees. As no country is exempt some sort of test the best option for long term may be to buy in Europe, someplace central so you can return for local tax, MOT or what ever. but others may have other ideas. You cannot lgally imprt a motorhome to Europe now unlest the habitation door is at the rear or OPENS ON THE RIGHT. So LHD it is. saves problems with lights dipping the wrong way as well. Other questions will I am sure be soon answered. Lots of which have indeed already been answered in other posts.

I know that with a boat, if you are in a country for more than 6 months you become liable to tax on the value of your boat, and some countries are a pain to come in & out of, but i think this could be different on the road. and i dont want to import an mh, just be ok to use it in that country for a while, so i guess that wouldnt matter. maybe it will just come down to ease of buying & driving on the 'wrong' side of the road :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back