Lost my moho mojo.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
So if you've visited Versailles I salute you, definitely somewhere we will return too but after I've done some research on parking and entrance costs and best time to visit, which I'm guessing isn't Friday afternoons.
There is a decent Huttopia site in Versailles. Its on the outskirts but an easy bus ride up to the palace. We had a great day out there, especially enjoying cycling round the massive grounds and visiting all the extra parts as well as the main palace. Definitely worth a trip.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
There is a decent Huttopia site in Versailles. Its on the outskirts but an easy bus ride up to the palace. We had a great day out there, especially enjoying cycling round the massive grounds and visiting all the extra parts as well as the main palace. Definitely worth a trip.

I second that, we stayed there and went in on the train, it really is worth a day there, the town itself is very pleasant and one of the most friendly French Markets we have ever been to.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Your very brave letting two fat French men sniff your crotch!

And as for Martin and Cliff not knowing what's in the "man bags" as if! They know! ;)

Hope the spray tans holding up btw:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We stayed on this site - pitches all amongst the trees. Also great for getting the train into central Paris

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Well Buttons if I were Jane McD being paid to partake on thus cruise I would definitely enjoy it too. The Danube cruise she did in the last series was an eye watering 5/7 K. I could also have enjoyed that too. How long could we spend pottering around Europe in the MH for that money? a lot more than three weeks. I do however see the attraction of alternative styles of travelling, but having the ability to move on as and when you wish is a big draw for me. At present we are waiting for wifey s foot to recover before moving onto an Aire where there is a vinyard with nightly tastings at 6pm . Can't get the cruise ships there thank heavens.
One point we have found to be a drawback in the Uv Caputal Cities

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Whoops. Sent in error. Continuation. Is the heaving number of far eastern tourists snapping everything in site. Don't get that in rural Europe thank Heavens

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
It was an isolated incident, the vast majority of outings with fun have been fab

You would have to go a long way to finds better crowd, so we'll hang around in the forum

I think we are ready for a change.

Haven't sold it yet so who knows what next season my hold

Thanks for the kind words

Well thats it!
Motorhome sold and a bit fatter bank balance
Sad to see it go, but my garden looks a whole lot bigger

I think we will see what the spring brings

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well thats it!
Motorhome sold and a bit fatter bank balance
Sad to see it go, but my garden looks a whole lot bigger

I think we will see what the spring brings
Sorry you had a bad experience and hope it doesn't mean the end of MHing for good!
Keep in touch.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
After enjoying the delights of Cala gogo for a few days, we moved on down into Spain to explore the bay of Roses.

IMG_2557.JPG

A night on a very shaded campsite with a lovely beach at L'Escala..

IMG_2563.JPG

Finally found our spiritual home at camping Aquarius and the beach near St Pere Perscador.
IMG_2575.JPG

We've enjoyed the wonderful sunshine, swimming in the med, lazy days and long lunches with the local sangria.
IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

I've gotten my moho mojo back...so much so that Martin has decided to take early retirement and we are busy planning a long trip next spring...no doubt our trials and tribulations will be documented here.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
...so much so that Martin has decided to take early retirement and we are busy planning a long trip next spring....

Assistant Gardener took early retirement this summer - initially much trepidation but four months on I can say it is the best thing he could possibly have done. No more commuting, no more endless emails almost 24/7, already a much better life for both of us.

Where are you planning on going next year?

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@Head Gardener, glad to hear it's working out for you both. It is a big step. Particularly as we tend to be defined by what we do.

We are deciding between Sardinia, Croatia or Greece as part of our first 3 month long European tour.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
@Head Gardener, glad to hear it's working out for you both. It is a big step. Particularly as we tend to be defined by what we do.
We are deciding between Sardinia, Croatia or Greece as part of our first 3 month long European tour.

If that's the case, gawd knows what our neighbours will be thinking next week! We already have a caravan on the drive, and next week (hopefully) our PVC will join it.

A lifetime ago I was treated to a free fortnight in Sardinia (in the days when you could accept gifts from companies you dealt with). Remember gorgeous beaches, sunsets, lovely food, and being gob-smacked by the size of boats in a marina (can't remember the name, it was in the north-east of the island). Also went cross to the little Isola Maddalena a couple of times - that was lovely.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Yesterday we cycled half an hour along the cycle track and explored Sant Mati

IMG_2670.JPG

Lovely little streets, with interesting nooks and crannies..

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

The square in front of the church was busy with the early lunch crowd.

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

This really is a beautiful area, helped with wonderful sunshine, we are having a great time.

We pushed on, past the roman ruins...
IMG_2709.JPG

To some fish, beer and sangria that had our names on..
IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

Wish we had this rate at home, luckily lunch didn't brake the bank and was very reasonable.

This beach looked inviting...
IMG_2723.JPG

Until we rode on...
IMG_2735.JPG

But this lovely little Cove had sunbeds and snorkeling opportunities so we flopped here all afternoon.

Lovin Spain so far...

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Loving your thread. It great that you're back to enjoying your moho life and thanks for showing there's more to Spain than the usual .....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have spent many, many hours eating and drinking in those restaurants in the square(y)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Loving your thread. It great that you're back to enjoying your moho life and thanks for showing there's more to Spain than the usual .....

We love France but have really enjoyed our time here, definitely an area we will return to. We've found the locals to be very friendly, the food and drink out is very reasonable.
It's all got a lovely laid back vibe about it.
previously I would of dismissed visiting any of the Costa's but I've been proved wrong (easy to do!)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I have spent many, many hours eating and drinking in those restaurants in the square(y)

Which is your favourite Chris? We are going back there today.

Also may I pick your brains..we leave Friday to get to calais for Sunday 1pm. So 2 nights to stay somewhere. Which route would you suggest and any stopover recommendations?

IMG_2736.JPG

All with tolls which we are happy to do.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We love France but have really enjoyed our time here, definitely an area we will return to. We've found the locals to be very friendly, the food and drink out is very reasonable.
It's all got a lovely laid back vibe about it.
previously I would of dismissed visiting any of the Costa's but I've been proved wrong (easy to do!)

It's best in June and September.

You can't move for tourists in July and August.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Which is your favourite Chris? We are going back there today.

Also may I pick your brains..we leave Friday to get to calais for Sunday 1pm. So 2 nights to stay somewhere. Which route would you suggest and any stopover recommendations?

View attachment 188840

All with tolls which we are happy to do.

Well I used to always eat in the one on the right as you look towards the beach. I think its called L'Escalopi or something like that. For the past few years we have gone to the one which is second on the left looking towards the sea called Can Coll I think. Friendly staff in there and nice food. Apparently the sangria is strong but I don't touch the stuff.

As for route we usually go via Toulouse. As for stops it depends on how much of a hurry we are in. I think last time we went in the van we did it in one stop which is pushing it a bit even with 2 drivers

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
From where you are I left at 2am one morning & had to get on an earlier Dunkirk boat at 2pm. :LOL:
That was using Millau & up to Clermont-Ferrand & round via Rouen & including problems there as the bridge hadn't long been shut due to fire. No toll roads & 2 drivers.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Been thinking about stops @Mousy ( actually I asked my wife cos she remembers stuff).

Apparently last time we did L'Escala to Chateroux day 1 and stayed at a nice enough site there. That's 430 miles or so on day 1. Day 2 we drove from Charteroux to Fort Mahon plage ( aire) with plenty of restaurants nearby. That's just over 300 miles. Then Fort Mahon to Calais is about 60 miles.

Don't know if the site at Chateruex is open. I think it was called Camping La Rochat - Belle or something like that.

Don't know if any of that helps.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Seeing a sign for Versailles I got excited.. I'd really enjoyed watching the slightly raunchy TV drama series versailles so I asked Martin could we detour to check it out?
"Was that the King programme that used to get you frisky on a Sunday night?"
He asked as he swung across 2 lanes of traffic to make the exit.

Feeling buoyant that this would be one of those wonderful happy holiday coincidences where we stumble across something interesting we proceed into Versailles. I explain that it's a palace built in the middle of a huge forest famed for its corridor of mirrors and beautiful gardens, as a refuge from Paris for the sunshine king.
Of course years ago it probably was, now it's a huge suburb of Paris which we are hitting at 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon :eek: in a 7.5 meter motorhome.

My knowledge of versailles is based solely on a TV series and I'm somewhat alarmed by the reality. We press on through increasingly narrow streets chockablock with traffic and aggressive drivers.

We spot the huge coach car park in front of the palace but a lack of communication on my part and undue attention on Martins and we miss the entrance. o_O

We get snarled up in the lane for the car park which we notice at the last minute has a 2 meter height barrier. This is turning into a disaster of epic proportions...:(
We had exactly the same experience a couple of years ago Dawn. Have said several times we must go back but have never managed it :(

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_2725.JPG

Another day spent in the sunshine and the sea...
I used the snorkeling mask yesterday and was very impressed. You do look a bit of a prat but the ease of use, joy and pleasure it gives you more than makes up for it.

IMG_2564.PNG

IMG_2738.JPG

Cliff and Ger tried it out and enjoyed themselves.

The day was not without its dramas though...Cliff and Martin cycled around to escala leaving Ger and I to sunbathe on the beach..they even pushed the boat out and let us pay for sunbeds. Feeling spoilt we lazed about and started making a dent into our sangria. Later joined by the boys who had obviously stopped off at the bar.

We all had a lovely afternoon of snorkeling, sunbathing, sangria and snoozing.

Cycling home just past the beach and I get a puncture. This seems to be an annual occurrence whilst on hols with Cliff and Ger. So much so that we all now carry spare inner tubes and kit.
The boys had cycled on so we waited for them to turn back when they realised we weren't following..
We waited..and waited..only to find they had experienced their own drama..

IMG_2743.JPG

Martin had fallen off this path into the ditch below..

IMG_2746.JPG

Slightly battered but ok..it could of been alot worse and yes we did all laugh about it!

Puncture repaired we get back fine and hit the showers I almost make the same mistake as the day before...

So I'm using the campsite showers which are great, loads of hot water and clean. I've gone in straight from the beach so I've just got my damp cossie on under a linen dress. After a wonderful scrub I'm too lazy to struggle back into my tummy controlling swimsuit so I'm sans underware..

Probably not my best ideal to hit the shop for another 2 lts of sangria but hey its a campsite who cares...
As I bend over with bottle in one hand, turning the tap of the sangria barrel with the other..Yes you've guessed it...it's a Marilyn Monroe moment. The unfortunate German in the aisle behind me shouts "MIEN GOTTEN" making me jump and slosh sangria all over the floor and my legs..total humiliation...my patchy fake tan exposed to the world...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh the perils of mixing alcohol with bicycles.:D2

Martin's side looks very sore.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

You could do all three in one trip. Sardinia (and why not Corsica at the same time) then across Italy to catch a ferry to Greece and back overland through Croatia. Albania's a problem insurance-wise but if you can get around that it would be a great adventure. :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
my patchy fake tan exposed to the world...

:tmi:

Please tell me your motorhome mojo is rejuvenated after this very funny/eventful/gimpmask filled trip.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Please could someone tell me where Sant Mati is as we are hoping to visit cataluna very soon and I cannot find this place on the map.
Any suggestion for campsite there
Thank you

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Please could someone tell me where Sant Mati is as we are hoping to visit cataluna very soon and I cannot find this place on the map.
Any suggestion for campsite there
Thank you
Camping Aquarius at Sant Pere Pescadore and cycle into St Marti. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back