Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
hoping for some advice this morning , to try and sort out problem.
we are on a site with hook up.
we have a vanbitz ( who I’m trying to contact today ) installed inverter , solar and lithium batteries .

whilst watching tv last night there was a loud pop and all of the power went off . And I mean all the power . We have lost mains, inverter and 12v . We were in total darkness but luckily I had a torch…….

firstthought was the hook up cable , or the site box. It had not tripped on the box but I moved boxes anyway . Still nothing.
torch in hand I checked everything inside
nothing had tripped on the van fuse box , nor on the inverter.

I unplugged the main inverter socket and left it for a little while.
Still nothing when I plugged back in

what is weird is that I have no 12 v power at all either.
I’ve used the motorhome off grid many times , and know the 12v with inverter works really well, so Im head scratching as to why I dont now have the inverter / 12v at all when the ehu isn’t connected.

the batteries were fully charged when we arrived in site. I know this as I checked them in the victron app as I always do when pitching up. We were also using the mains hookup rather than the batteries / inverter , again I know this as I checked during the evening as I always do.
so the batteries have not been drained .
any thoughts and suggestions as to what this can be . Am I missing a fusebox somewhere ( don’t think so ) that has tripped . Or is this a more serious problem .
ps . I’ve messaged vanbits asking for a call this morning , it wonder if eddie may be online on this forum today , or perhaps someone else who has had a similar problem with this system .
really hoping this is operator error ….. and I can flick a switch somewhere and get back to enjoying our little break

many thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I dint know if this helps, but we have a large fuse very close to the habitation battery completely seperate to the fuse board. We have to remove a shelf cover to get at it. Different van though.

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Think we have the same big fuse. In ours it's by where power comes in. But in side a cupboard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
I dint know if this helps, but we have a large fuse very close to the habitation battery completely seperate to the fuse board. We have to remove a shelf cover to get at it. Different van though.
Thanks for the answer. We also have a large fuse box in the rear garage by the batteries fitted with the inverter , which I’ve looked at .
also have the Dethelffs fitted fuse box in the van which I’ve looked at neither . Neither have tripped .

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Near the batteries should be fuses, ( normally one per battery), also inverter should be fused, very near there. If a fuse blown, it might tripped the bms inside batteries.

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks. Yes checked those. Nothing had tripped.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would suggest posting some pictures of the controls, chargers, batteries and that sort of thing to get better advise. Otherwise it’s very much guessing without knowing what setup you have.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Are you saying the batteries have fuse breakers? Even if they look ok, try operate them manually off and on.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I know the trip hasn't gone but have you actually checked the fuses ?

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
I would suggest posting some pictures of the controls, chargers, batteries and that sort of thing to get better advise. Otherwise it’s very much guessing without knowing what setup you have.
Thanks. Here’s a couple of pics of the inverter set up on the garage.
The main Dethleffs fuse board is in a cupboard in the van. It hasn’t tripped.

Attachments

• BF8D8BC5-80D5-40AC-876D-7850F89C1299.jpeg
    BF8D8BC5-80D5-40AC-876D-7850F89C1299.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 0B4577F9-4B67-4A3A-B6BC-8936F84369C5.png
    0B4577F9-4B67-4A3A-B6BC-8936F84369C5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 7D719B15-A157-480E-BA84-D0FA98F86EF5.jpeg
    7D719B15-A157-480E-BA84-D0FA98F86EF5.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 99

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Right next to the battery is a big fuse often in a black box and a mega fuse

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A loud pop sounds a bit ominous, I'm not trying to be funny, but was it accompanied by a smell ? Do you know which area of the van the "pop" came from ?

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I saw something similar on a site.Have you checked anyone else has the same problem. It was a power surge that blew all the electric on quite a few vans.Fair to say the campsite paid for all the the repairs which was quite expensive.

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Vanbitz have now been on the phone ( great service on a Saturday ! ) and we are working through some possible issues and fixes.
Sounds like the lithium batteries have shut themselves down.
They can be woken up it seems , but the van will need to go in to Vanbitz to be properly checked as there is no apparent cause for the shutdown.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A loud pop sounds a bit ominous, I'm not trying to be funny, but was it accompanied by a smell ? Do you know which area of the van the "pop" came from ?
I was going for a big fuse blowing with a “pop” too.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
To those in the know.

Can a batteries “shut themselves down”??

It‘s not something I’m aware of.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
To those in the know.

Can a batteries “shut themselves down”??

It‘s not something I’m aware of.
The BMS on a LiFePO4 battery usually has some way of shutting the battery down.

On mine, the BMS can shut down loads and charging independently. For instance, if charging is full or the temperature of the battery is too low, power into the battery is stopped. If the batteries voltage drops too low, then power out of the battery is cut. It protects the battery.

Ours uses two relays to switch these on/off and the restart is automatic (or can be overridden in the app in an emergency), but different BMS's work in different ways.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It didn't sound like a battery shut down when you said yo heard a large pop..unless that caused the batteries to isolate on an overload current and there is an underlying issue..
a batteries “shut themselves down
I had an issue last winter with my lithium.. not 100% sure what the original issue was ..the van was in storage but the outcome was the lithium would not accept a charge..even though there was a voltage of around 12.5 volts on their terminals..
Think it was a low temp issue..and all has been well since..I've made some alterations to their charging regime for this winter..see how it goes..
Good luck to the op.. hope you get sorted without major work..
Andy.

Deleted User
Curious why you've lost all your 240v sockets as separate from the inverter - just a thought.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Curious why you've lost all your 240v sockets as separate from the inverter - just a thought.
Probably, because the earthing of 230v is bonded to chassis, and shares that with the dc negative bonding to chassis to.

My guess in post 5 was right, the bms shut down.

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks very much.
All under warranty as it’s a brand
It didn't sound like a battery shut down when you said yo heard a large pop..unless that caused the batteries to isolate on an overload current and there is an underlying issue..

I had an issue last winter with my lithium.. not 100% sure what the original issue was ..the van was in storage but the outcome was the lithium would not accept a charge..even though there was a voltage of around 12.5 volts on their terminals..
Think it was a low temp issue..and all has been well since..I've made some alterations to their charging regime for this winter..see how it goes..
Good luck to the op.. hope you get sorted without major work..
Andy.
new van and system. I agree that it sounds like there is an underlying issue , bearing in mind I had a problem with the solar regulator a couple of months ago.
Vanbitz are going to check the whole system for the cause , rather than just fix the symptoms …… all good.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Wow. I’m staying old fashioned for now. I like things I understand and can repair.

Good luck with it, and thanks for being willing to take the risk with the new stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back