Loss of electric to on board ac sockets in Hymer (1 Viewer)

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all

I need some help on working out why I have loss the electric to my on board ac sockets.

It happened last week when I was parked up on a camp site for the Le Mans 24. The EHU was supplied via a very large onsite generator. This was no problem except that occasionally the generator would cut out. Now after one of these outerges the power came back on, the fridge converted back to electric but I then wanted to charge up my iPad and noticed that I had no 240v to the sockets.

Now home I have checked that there is supply through the ac breaker etc which there. I have traced the mains cables to where my elektroblo & batteries etc are here I am lost. To top it off the inverter has also packed up.

Should I be locking for some other fuse box or something. Not sure i am asking this as the mains breaker should be enough.

My van is a Hymer B578 LHD. 2015

Any help and ideas would be greafully received so I can get the van back together before the wife gets back from her holiday or she might not let me take the van away to Le Mans again ??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You should have individual MCBs for each electrical circuit.... Sockets, fridge etc.
They will be in a consumer unit buried away somewhere.
The generator restarting may have caused a voltage spike and tripped one or more of them

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My Hymer has the trips under one of the beds. I have had the van a year now but only found them last week!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymers only have an RCD and a single MCB. All the connections are via Waco plug & socket connectors, there are 2 in the bottom of the consumer unit, one for the fridge and one for the sockets & EBL. Check that these are fully plugged in, you will find under the floor and behind draws various Waco connectors where the sockets plug in.

Is the light on the control panel ON? If so you have power to the EBL.

How is your inverter switched, if its auto changeover to the sockets the relay could have failed or it may be fused.

OP
OP
Dergrowler

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the quick replies guys

As an answer to your questions Lenny HB yes I do power to my control panel & EBL. As stated 240v to the fridge also.
Just one further query I have another MCB near the EBL unsure what this for?

I have learnt a lot today even know where the relay for the step is now and found the battery charging unit but still trying to trace any more of these Waco connectors Will clear out the left hand side wardrobe tomorrow and remove some panels in there as it seems that's where the cables are running to

Have rebuilt the rest of the van so as not to give my wife a heart attack when she gets back tomorrow afternoon

Anyway thanks again for you advice

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 58

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not a standard Hymer fit, is it to isolate the EBL when the inverter is on. Some people do a lazy install, they have a relay to switch the sockets over but don't bother to rewire the fridge & EBL they just tell the customer to switch off the mains to the EBL and turn the fridge to gas.

OP
OP
Dergrowler

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Still pulling my hair out about this problem invested in a volt stick yesterday but that throw up more problems as it must pick up the slightest voltage and was showing every cable live which I know for a fact is not true.

The invert is still a mystery. It's a Waeco Sine MSI 1812T. When I switch this on the input led flashes slowly indicating a low voltage in put but I measured the voltage and it showed 13.5 volts that's with the solar panels putting their bit in as well I suppose, it also has 240v supply when hooked up. I have measured this and there is 240v present.

We are away in the van this weekend as we need the extra bedroom at my daughters so not having the electric for the kettle etc is not a problem just an inconvenience.

When I get home next week I will remove the back wall by the MCB as I did see a mass of cables which looked like a rats nest and see if there are any more of the Waco connectors might have come loose, but I don't understand when sitting stationary for a week and one minute everything is perfect then after a power outage from the onsite generator I have this problem?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for the quick replies guys

As an answer to your questions Lenny HB yes I do power to my control panel & EBL. As stated 240v to the fridge also.

I have learnt a lot today even know where the relay for the step is now and found the battery charging unit but still trying to trace any more of these Waco connectors Will clear out the left hand side wardrobe tomorrow and remove some panels in there as it seems that's where the cables are running to

Have rebuilt the rest of the van so as not to give my wife a heart attack when she gets back tomorrow afternoon

Anyway thanks again for you advice
That is not an MCB it is an RCD, probably wired in series with the inverter output.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would say the generator spiked and killed the inverter. The changeover relay in the inverter is locking out power to the sockets.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would say the generator spiked and killed the inverter. The changeover relay in the inverter is locking out power to the sockets.

OP
OP
Dergrowler

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks again guys for your quick replies

Now working on the theory that the invert is locking out the sockets due to a change over relay, if by disconnecting the AC input and out let leads does this disconnect the inverter from the circuit? TheBig1

I have done this but still no joy so that's why I am asking the question

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 27
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was going to ask why the invertor has ac in then realised it has an inbuilt change over i assume in which case i would imagine you need to plug the two leads together to get ac on hookup

OP
OP
Dergrowler

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Your are a start mitzimad yes that has now given us back our power on EHU I now understand how everything thing is now working.

I now just have to find someone who can carry out repairs to my inverter

Again many thanks to all who have given me advice it has all come together and I have learnt a lot and found some interesting finds on various components in my van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back